Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Johno100 wrote: »
    But a cyclist taking 'primary' to prevent what he perceives to be an unsafe overtake is good and safe cycling.

Indeed, I tend to be more of a "secondary" rider to avoid queues behind me as I don't tend to be too fussed about the cars but I take primary approaching narrow parts like bollards or pedestrian crossing areas to stop cars trying to pass where they would be in touching distance.

I usually filter left but have started doing it on the right when the road is clear and traffic is stationary as there is more room to pass safely
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade wrote: »
    Amazingly, this is the side you are supposed to filter past on, then when I open the passenger door [STRIKE]to knock you off for going up the inside[/STRIKE] so my kid can jump out at the lights you are not in danger.

Can you find anything to support that?

Also, opening your door so as to injure or endanger anyone is an offence. As is causing or permitting your child to do so.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 3:30PM
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Can you find anything to support that?

Also, opening your door so as to injure or endanger anyone is an offence. As is causing or permitting your child to do so.

I thought it was simple common sense. ;)
    Passengers rarely get out into the middle of the road when cars stop for lights/behind a 'bus, but they often get out of the passenger side.
    (There is also a fair chance that a car with its offside wheels over the centre line is about to turn left)

Most car drivers have a very good idea of what is happening behind on the offside, but only use the nearside mirror for reversing.

However, since you asked...

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/skills/article/izn20130830-Effective-traffic-riding-part-2-0

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/filtering

And although The Law is on your side, I always think it is rather a pyrrhic victory to be telling the driver "you will be banged up for this" from a stretcher whilst coughing up blood.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Most likely, after following the cycle for 2 miles at 12mph, they have finally got a safe overtake, leaving enough space, now the lights have gone red, and the cyclist is about to get up the inside of them, wobble over the stop line and force them into either another 2 miles of 12mph, or a dangerous overtake if their patience has run out.

I pull right over to the left if I'm the second or third car at the lights (but I don't block cycle lanes), 40 feet further back isn't going to affect Mr 12mph much, but being in front of him can take 5 or 10 minutes off my journey, and get me out of 2nd gear.

10 minutes,really? so you are behind him for 2 miles in congested traffic?
  • custardy
    Passengers rarely get out into the middle of the road when cars stop for lights/behind a 'bus, but they often get out of the passenger side.
    (There is also a fair chance that a car with its offside wheels over the centre line is about to turn left)

Most car drivers have a very good idea of what is happening behind on the offside, but only use the nearside mirror for reversing.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/skills/article/izn20130830-Effective-traffic-riding-part-2-0

And although The Law is on your side, I always think it is rather a pyrrhic victory to be telling the driver "you will be banged up for this" from a stretcher whilst coughing up blood.

I would certainly hope a driver is checking this mirror more than for reversing?
    Arent they checking this for left turns?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Bikeability L3 course on filtering

Observed Demonstration
    Filtering is moving up the inside or outside of slow moving or stationary queuing traffic. The choice of whether to filter on the inside, outside or at all rests with the cyclist who must judge if there is sufficient space to do so safely.

http://www.cycletrainingeast.org.uk/Downloads/Bikeability_Level_3_Course_Manual.pdf
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    10 minutes,really? so you are behind him for 2 miles in congested traffic?

Congested behind yes :D

Could easily cost another 10 minutes if it means that you arrive at the major commuter route when the shall we say "less able" drivers have got there, rather than get onto it in front of them.

If I leave for work at 10 to seven, I arrive at about twenty five past.
    If I set out at 7, I arrive at 7:45 to 7:50 simply because I am behind people for whom the fact that traffic lights go red & amber then green is a surprise, every single time, so we get 3 cars over a junction that would have passed 10 before 7:00 by which time another 3 the same have got in from that junction, so I have to wait for 2 changes at the next set, 3 at the next and so on.......

Normally I can be in front of them by starting out 10 mins earlier.
    Best days are when they are surprised that their windscreens are icy, and it takes them an extra 5 minutes to scrape a small slot to see out of ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • I drive and cycle, some people do some silly things on bikes, some do silly things in cars. When driving I have not spotted cyclists until nearly too late on many occasions, when cycling I have again not spotted drivers. Usually both are due to compromised vision and lack of lights (cycling in the rain with glasses is very much like driving with no wipers, you rely very heavily on sidelights or headlights on cars).

Some cyclists do some frankly bonkers stuff, other things like running red lights when clear to do so are against the highway code but avoid getting caught up in everyone trying to get away from the lights. Since starting to treat red lights as a give way I have had far fewer near misses.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    vqmismatch wrote: »

Some cyclists do some frankly bonkers stuff, other things like running red lights when clear to do so are against the highway code

Not just "against the HC", but a criminal offence.
  • custardy
    vqmismatch wrote: »
    I drive and cycle, some people do some silly things on bikes, some do silly things in cars. When driving I have not spotted cyclists until nearly too late on many occasions, when cycling I have again not spotted drivers. Usually both are due to compromised vision and lack of lights (cycling in the rain with glasses is very much like driving with no wipers, you rely very heavily on sidelights or headlights on cars).

Some cyclists do some frankly bonkers stuff, other things like running red lights when clear to do so are against the highway code but avoid getting caught up in everyone trying to get away from the lights. Since starting to treat red lights as a give way I have had far fewer near misses.
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Not just "against the HC", but a criminal offence.

I like you felt the need to cut the full quote.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure