PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can part-time single parents get mortgages?

Comments

• Siiigghhh, so the option for me would be get back into full-time work earning 30k a year and then I'd have a chance of 100% mortgage? I've got debts of £1000 on my credit card and my outgoings are typical living: food, rent, and ***@@## childcare costs! grrrr! house buying isn't child-friendly!! ;)
  • wecanhelpu
    wecanhelpu Posts: 630 Forumite
    Munchkin78 wrote: »
    house buying isn't child-friendly!! ;)

at the moment, it ain't purse friendly either
  • nethesi
    nethesi Posts: 100 Forumite
    Firstly, I really admire your attempts to keep yourself together. Here is someone in a sad situation (relationship break-up), working (not sitting around) and bringing up a small child - personally I can't think many better uses of "my" taxes than to support someone in this situation, and enable them to give their child a good start.
    Good for you.

Secondly I do think you would have trouble getting a mortgage of a sufficient size to cover buying a house in most areas. Without prying into your personal background,it sounds like you are at least on speaking terms with your child's father, did you have joint ownership of a home and now entitled to a 50% share of the equity? Or perhaps he would be willing to advance a number of months of the child support he would be giving you as a deposit (if house prices are low in your area this might help, otherwise it'd be a drop in the ocean). Otherwise you're stuck with renting. It depends a lot on your council but try applying for a council flat, where the rent will be much lower and you will be able to afford to save if you're careful while working part time and still spending some time with the little un (I agree that 12 months is an age when you don't want to leave them). Another option is shared ownership, again contact your council.

Personally I would put ideas of mortgaging yourself to the hilt on hold for a while and try to keep to the important things in life!
  • itzmee
    itzmee Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Personally I think you have no chance - you would not fit the standard criteria for most lenders.
  • ss1973
    ss1973 Posts: 51 Forumite
    OK I never make negative comment on this forum but I am disgusted at some people's attitudes! To all you doubting Thomas' out there, I am a single parent earning 13k a year and I currently have an 85k mortgage. What's the problem with you people? This poor woman's partner has left her - in the lurch with a baby. Have a bit of compassion! Put yourself in her position... would you like people being so nasty to you over a public forum - NO!

So Munchkin 78 - find yourself a GOOD financial advisor. Ask around and get someone recommended to you. You'll need to self certify yourself for the other incomes you get i.e WTC/CTC and maintenance. If you don't have any debt problems then you will still pay a slightly higher interest rate than the normal bod on the street but it'll still be less than £800 a month on rent. Keep your chin up. You can do this I didn't think I could but I have, and me and my DD are doing just fine without him!
  • keeperbear
    keeperbear Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ss1973 wrote: »
    What's the problem with you people? This poor woman's partner has left her - in the lurch with a baby. Have a bit of compassion! Put yourself in her position

I think many comments were from childless FTBers in full time employment that can't afford a property.
  • kingkano
    kingkano Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ss1973 wrote: »
    OK I never make negative comment on this forum but I am disgusted at some people's attitudes! To all you doubting Thomas' out there, I am a single parent earning 13k a year and I currently have an 85k mortgage. What's the problem with you people? This poor woman's partner has left her - in the lurch with a baby. Have a bit of compassion! Put yourself in her position... would you like people being so nasty to you over a public forum - NO!

So Munchkin 78 - find yourself a GOOD financial advisor. Ask around and get someone recommended to you. You'll need to self certify yourself for the other incomes you get i.e WTC/CTC and maintenance. If you don't have any debt problems then you will still pay a slightly higher interest rate than the normal bod on the street but it'll still be less than £800 a month on rent. Keep your chin up. You can do this I didn't think I could but I have, and me and my DD are doing just fine without him!

Perhaps some of the posts are insensitive. But I think your comparing apples with oranges. Getting 85 on 13k salary is a bit different to asking can I get 150k on 11.5k salary!! To be fair this has been fleshed out a bit more now though....

I also estimate 150k @ 6% Interest Only is £750pm, at 6.5% its £812pm. So 'less than £800 a month rent' is perhaps a stretch, especially when taking into account the added costs of home ownership opposed to renting.

Id advise the OP to take a good look at their finances first, get everything down on paper, then maybe consult a professional about their circumstances. Sometimes a forum isnt the right place to ask ;)
  • Hi

I would like to find info about buying my partner out. THe trouble is I only working part time and just about to start a new job and have two young children. Do you know where I could get advice form?? First time I have used this so very sorry if I have wrote this in the wrong place.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Munchkin78 wrote: »
    Hi I'm trying to find some information on the best way to buy a house. I'm a single mum working part-time and currently have no deposit saved for a house, yet I earn enough each month to happily cover a £800 rent which happens to be the total cost of someone elses mortgage! So what are the chances of someone like me getting 100% mortgage so I can put this £800 each month into better use! Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

There are no 100% mortgages available at the moment, whether you are working full time or not, whether you have a partner or not. In a falling market it would be too risky to buy on a 100% mortgage anyway.

Your rent may cover someone else's mortgage, but you haven't allowed for the maintenance, repairs, improvements, insurance costs of home owning.

Paying £800 on an interest only mortgage would be no better use than renting, you would be renting off the bank with no equity in the property and probably buying a depreciating asset.

Best idea would be to continue renting until your little one is at school.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Having been in the same boat, you have no chance. 100% mortgages that are that many times your yearly salary simply don't exist.

You would be better off renting, either privately or preferably from a housing association/council.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure