Cost of new fuse box and time to fit

Please can someone tell me what price I would be looking at for a new fuse box and fitting.

Also how long would this job take to do ?

Thank you

T xx

Comments

• droogie
    droogie Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We recently paid about £300 but that was as part of a getting our kitchen rewired after discovering dodgy wiring during a replaster.

I think they said the unit was £270 plus labour.

I hope that helps some
  • there is a bit of hassle in changing a consumer unit

The bonding (earthing of the pipes may need to be upgraded).

Ball park figure £250 - £350

My price is generally £250 for a straight forward job.
    baldly going on...
  • Alan50
    Alan50 Posts: 138 Forumite
    I normally charge between £250.00 to £450.00 depending on the installation work and testing required. The main eguipotential bonding to the gas and water services must comply with BS:7671 hence the price difference.

The work will require certification for Building regulations approval, NICEIC domestic installers can self-certificate there work.

Time: normally half to one day

British Gas have entered the domestic electrical installation market for this type of work, ask them for a quote.

Good luck Alan

NICEIC domestic installer See https://www.NICEIC.com for electrical safety advice
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Alan50 wrote: »
    The work will require certification for Building regulations approval, NICEIC domestic installers can self-certificate there work.

I think you meant "can self-certify their work".

Does that mean they write out a certificate for you on completion and you store it with your house deeds?
  • Some contractors write them out there and then, I do them on my PC (looks a lot better and no handwriting errors).I drop thyem in a few days later or post them.
    baldly going on...
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi guys

Thanks so much for your help.

Turned into a bit of a mess-up :(

Found a fried (who is certified electrician) and he agreed to do it for £150.00. During the work there was a fult in the wiring and he was here for 6 hours yesterday and is back again today for another 3 hours :o

He has agreed to keep the price at £150.00 but after reading this we have paid him extra. He s only doing it because he felt sorry for me being 7 weeks pregnant and with no kitchen.

Thankfully it looks like my kitchen installation can go ahead and all the wiring in our house has been bought up to standad.

Thanks again - you guys are great :T

T xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family