Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jackie62
    • By Jackie62 13th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jackie62
    Previous debtor was at my address
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    Previous debtor was at my address 13th Sep 17 at 3:17 PM
    Hi all, I'm new today. I have a question and wondered if anyone can give me some advice please. I moved into my rented house a year ago. Ever since then I have been receiving debtors letters for previous tenants. I have phoned the companies involved as I have no idea where these previous tenants are, to tell them so. I keep getting these letters and I'm now worrying if it is affecting me and my credit rating, due to the address.
    Does anyone know about this or has had a previous experience? I need to know what to do about this just in case. Thanks.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 13,144 Posts
    • 13,442 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    It doesn't impact you. Just return to sender or bin.
    • Destabilising
    • By Destabilising 13th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Destabilising
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    It won't affect you at all. Just write on the envelope 'Not known at this address, return to sender' and the company should take your address off of their mailing list. If not, get back in contact with them and log a complaint about it.
    • Narkynewt
    • By Narkynewt 14th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Narkynewt
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    No it won't effect you, unless you have he same name and dob!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 29,946 Posts
    • 18,968 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    It will not affect you, your credit rating is only seen by you only, lenders see your credit history.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 14th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    The only caveat is that debt collectors and bailiffs may call at the house. You should politely but firmly inform them that the people they are looking for have moved out and left no forwarding address.
    • PaulW922
    • By PaulW922 15th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PaulW922
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    If you do get a visit you may be asked to show ID to prove you are not the previous creditor. You do not have to do this and there will be many here who will advise you to tell the callers to get lost. However, if I were a debt collector or a court bailiff and someone say that to me I might suspect they were in fact the person I was after. So you may consider it in your interests, should this happen, to cooperate with them. Your call of course
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 15th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 4,464 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    If you do get a visit you may be asked to show ID to prove you are not the previous creditor. You do not have to do this and there will be many here who will advise you to tell the callers to get lost. However, if I were a debt collector or a court bailiff and someone say that to me I might suspect they were in fact the person I was after. So you may consider it in your interests, should this happen, to cooperate with them. Your call of course
    Originally posted by PaulW922
    Send all correspondence back with RTS marks on envelopes, this should prompt a home visit by the enforcement team, then the best advice is to do the above.
    I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
    • Jackie62
    • By Jackie62 17th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jackie62
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    Thanks for all your advice everyone. I have been returning post for a year with RTS and also calling some of the debt collecting companies who write to my address. They are mostly fine, but some of them just keep sending! I am now putting post in the bin. If any bailiffs call, I will be very polite and inform them of the facts.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 17th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Car1980
    Unless one of the letters was in a brown envelope and was a court claim
    I wouldn't hold my breath on anyone calling round. Debt collectors rarely bother unless you happen to live around the corner from their office. Making home visits is not profitable for them.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 17th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 4,464 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Unless one of the letters was in a brown envelope and was a court claim
    I wouldn't hold my breath on anyone calling round. Debt collectors rarely bother unless you happen to live around the corner from their office. Making home visits is not profitable for them.
    Originally posted by Car1980
    I agree that someone calling round for a £250 debt is very unlikely owing over 2k could possibly trigger a skip trace which will require a visit to known addresses, this is then an added cost to the debtor account. I disagree that home visits are not profitable to them.
    I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,222Users online

Martin's Twitter