Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wannaberich41
    • By wannaberich41 12th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 428Posts
    • 75Thanks
    wannaberich41
    Redundancy/paid off to go quietly help
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    Redundancy/paid off to go quietly help 12th Sep 17 at 1:21 PM
    I'm hoping I can get some helpful advise from you please?

Basically a member of the family has worked at the same place of work since leaving school at the age 16 and prior, (sat job and holiday work) this is the same place of work their father worked at. They have been there for 30 years and the father I'd say 40 years. So this place of work means a lot to the family. They are currently being bullied and the ring leader tends to get other people on his side making up stories that everyone seem so on believe against my relation. This ringleader has worked on others and most are no longer there through being paid off to go away quietly. It appears this may happen to the family member as all managers and under managers have also left or been made redundant. The owner is now trying to run place. It was been reported several times to owner but doesn't want to know. I have a feeling they're next on the list to be gotten rid off. Googled the behaviour pattern and on a bullying website it appears to be called mobbing.
    Would they be entitled to holiday pay in the redundancy or sacking?
    If so how do they calculate it please?
    I've managed to work out what redundancy pay would be if needed.
    Any helpful advise would gratefully appreciated.
    Things will get better day by day.
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,749 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    Well yes you get any outstanding holiday pay that you are due.

As well as any notice pay, statutory redundancy, contractual payments

Im not sure what the bullying has to do with it though. Or 'going quietly' - go loudly if you want, I doubt you'll get anything more or less
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 12th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    Given the size of a potential redundancy payment, the employer may try to manage your husband out via the disciplinary process.

If he is not in a union he needs to join now.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 12th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    Given the size of a potential redundancy payment, the employer may try to manage your husband out via the disciplinary process.

If he is not in a union he needs to join now.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    It is very unlikely a union will help with a matter that has started before joining unless they consider it to be in the wider interest of their members.

If they join now and nothing happens for 3 to 6 months then maybe.

To be honest, with 30 years service, there would be a significant redundancy payment due (he can calculate it on the .gov website). Unless there are exceptional circumstances it is very unlikely an unfair dismissal claim would yield more that this so it would probably not be worth challenging if he is made redundant.

If however they try to dismiss to avoid redundancy then he needs to see a solicitor unless union cover is active.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 12th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    I am unclear why we are talking about redundancy or sacking at all? Unfortunately, bullying per se is not against employment law, unless it directly relates to a protected characteristic in discrimination. It can indirectly have relevance, but it is exceedingly difficult to prove, especially if the employer is prepared to do nothing. There are always two sides to every story and the employer is entitled to believe the other side. So what makes you think that they'd be prepared to pay him off? You haven't suggested a good reason for that happening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,369Posts Today

7,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin