Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ric1982
    • By ric1982 6th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 61Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ric1982
    compulsory metering areas
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    compulsory metering areas 6th Sep 17 at 11:20 AM
    I am in process of purchasing a property. How can I find out if the house comes under compulsory metering area?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 6th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 27,021 Posts
    • 13,140 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    I am in process of purchasing a property. How can I find out if the house comes under compulsory metering area?

Thanks
    Originally posted by ric1982
    Ask the water company supplying that area.

It should be noted that since 1990 water companies have had the power to fit a meter on change of occupant. Some companies(the majority?) simply didn't bother to enforce that provision as there was no incentive for them to fit a meter.

However there is apparently now pressure on these companies to fit meters and it may well be that a meter will be fitted regardless of your wishes.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,046 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    If you have a meter fitted just because you are a new occupant, you don't have the option of going back to the rv based system,unlike those who volunteered to have a meter.

However,based on the huge saving we have made, we won't want to revert. Even my son's costs are low (similar type of house) and the household consists of two adults and three children. (Tiny garden and uses car washes,though).
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 9th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    We save around £350 a year by being on a meter, so dont feel that you'll be disadvantaged by having one and as Cardew says you may not have any option anyway if the water company invoke their right to fit one on change of occupant.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,527Posts Today

8,264Users online

Martin's Twitter