Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    M271
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End 8th Aug 17 at 6:48 PM
    I am currently on the MSE Collective Switch with BG which comes to an end on 3rd October. Will a another collective switch be launched before then (statement aimed at MSE reps) or should I just start looking at the best deals around 4 to 5 weeks before my deal comes to an end?
Page 2
    • peterx
    • By peterx 14th Aug 17, 10:10 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    peterx
    Quidco are offering £130 cash back with Npower for a dual fuel Super Fix 2021 switch.I personally am thinking about going for this as i am on the BG collective which ends in October. This will only cost me an extra £10 a month after cash back.What do people think about this long 4 year fix.This could be a winner especially if prices rise.All very confusing.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 14th Aug 17, 10:39 AM
    • 27,031 Posts
    • 13,157 Thanks
    Cardew
    .What do people think about this long 4 year fix.This could be a winner especially if prices rise.All very confusing.
    Originally posted by peterx
    Conversely it could be a loser!

The wisdom of moving to a long term fix has been discussed on MSE many times over the years. Then, as now, it is simply a gamble.

You can pay considerably more in the first year over currently available 12 month fixed tariffs and that will take a considerable period to recoup.

Given all the noise coming from the main political parties, I am gambling that there will not be huge rises in energy prices. However I bet good money that Trump couldn't possibly become President!
    • peterx
    • By peterx 14th Aug 17, 10:44 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    peterx
    This years switching is going to be huge gamble,thanks for comment.
    • martin998877
    • By martin998877 15th Aug 17, 1:44 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    martin998877
    This years switching is going to be huge gamble,thanks for comment.
    Originally posted by peterx

I still think it's unfortunate that MSE aren't able to get a collective switch together for their members who are on the October-October cycle. We are now within the 50 day switch window.

They said it's difficult, but comparethemarket and moneysupermarket have got exclusive deals that easily beat the basic ones on uswitch and the MSE energy site, and don't rely on the plethora of unheard-of new small companies...
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 15th Aug 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Hengus
    I still think it's unfortunate that MSE aren't able to get a collective switch together for their members who are on the October-October cycle. We are now within the 50 day switch window.

They said it's difficult, but comparethemarket and moneysupermarket have got exclusive deals that easily beat the basic ones on uswitch and the MSE energy site, and don't rely on the plethora of unheard-of new small companies...
    Originally posted by martin998877
    It takes two to tango. The CMA and Ofgem have taken the shackles off the number of tariffs and offers that suppliers can make. Why would a supplier want to give MSE £60 to attract customers when the rules now allow suppliers, like Bulb, to offer new customers a £50 discount via a customer referral code? Collective switches may well continue but they are unlikely, imho, to offer market-leading (low) prices.

Small companies are no different from the Big 6 - there are good and bad suppliers for customer service. For example, I would say that Zog has exceptional customer service and it has just over 20.000 customers. Conversely, BG is now under an Ofgem investigation for its alleged failure to comply with Conditions of its Supply Licence.
    • M271
    • By M271 21st Aug 17, 8:32 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    Well I've gone for the 'bird in the hand' policy and have started the switch from the collective switch to EDF Fixed until September 2018. Better deals may or may not come later but any overlapping weeks into the far higher BG standard tariff will cost a lot more. Its costing me now £89 / month rather than the £80 on the collective but BG raised my DD to £86 anyway during the year even though I was in credit, so have a refund due.
    Good luck to you waiting for a new good collective or better energy company pre-winter deals and I hope that you get one, but for me the EDF offer is OK in the CURRENT market.
    • danlightbulb
    • By danlightbulb 21st Aug 17, 9:20 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    danlightbulb
    My deal ends 31st August. According to the switching tool I cannot get anything close to my current deal. Cheapest seems to be £50 more than Im paying now (I'm an annual switcher), and thats with a supplier with warnings attached. Very disappointed as a regular switcher that I am going to have to pay more.

What is the market expected to do in the next month? Im wondering whether I should hold on switching and seeing if the deals improve?
    • r2015
    • By r2015 21st Aug 17, 11:26 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    r2015
    In about a weeks time the Collective Switch ending 3rd Oct will be within the 50 day period without penalty.
    It doesn't matter to me that I can switch without penalty, in fact I will be hanging on as long as possible, as there is no tariff that is cheaper than my present tariff.
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • PaulW2246
    • By PaulW2246 22nd Aug 17, 6:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PaulW2246
    Odd Advice from MSE
    Like many others, my collective switch deal is coming to an end. When I click on the link 'See MSE's Top Energy Picks' in the email I received from MSE advising me of this, - the top recommendation offered as a money-saver, is being investigated by Ofgem, the second one has a high volume of unhappy users who struggle to contact the company, & the next five on list are such new companies that MSE has no feedback on them yet.
    These are recommendations from a consumer advice site.....REALLY!??
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 22nd Aug 17, 7:35 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    I'm in the same situation. Makes you wonder if BG have got the charges correct!!
    • M271
    • By M271 22nd Aug 17, 7:57 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    Like many others, my collective switch deal is coming to an end. When I click on the link 'See MSE's Top Energy Picks' in the email I received from MSE advising me of this, - the top recommendation offered as a money-saver, is being investigated by Ofgem, the second one has a high volume of unhappy users who struggle to contact the company, & the next five on list are such new companies that MSE has no feedback on them yet.
    These are recommendations from a consumer advice site.....REALLY!??
    Originally posted by PaulW2246

The big 6 also don't have good reputations but I in the end went with the EDF deal. Which for me was only £1 month more than the smaller companies (except the cheapest one being investigated and variable) and I will get £30 cashback from EDF which they didn't offer, so overall cheaper for the year for me.
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 22nd Aug 17, 8:08 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    Together Energy?
    Anyone any experience of using this company. My MSE deal is also coming to an end and this seems to be the cheapest deal and not too bad customer reviews on Trustpilot. Any one on the Forum used them??
    • jamier
    • By jamier 22nd Aug 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamier
    My Collective Fix also ends on 3.10.17 and the indications are that both gas and electricity will rise horrendously. I suppose I was only expecting electricity to rise after the BG increase but as the fix was dual fuel I will be hit hard by both! Can MSE get an agreement with BG that gas remains fixed ie a Single fuel fix?

Or have I got my head in a muddle?
    • shazzablue
    • By shazzablue 22nd Aug 17, 9:57 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    shazzablue
    energy club
    like other posters bg have doubled my payments,my collective switch comes to an end 3rd October...energy club can only offer inflated deals at the moment...I checked confused.com and they have a much reduced tarrif for the same companies as energy club!....shop around folks!
    • oligopoly
    • By oligopoly 22nd Aug 17, 10:29 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    oligopoly
    like other posters bg have doubled my payments,my collective switch comes to an end 3rd October...energy club can only offer inflated deals at the moment...I checked confused.com and they have a much reduced tarrif for the same companies as energy club!....shop around folks!
    Originally posted by shazzablue
    I've just tried it and Confused appear to offer the same prices that the Energy Club does ?!
    Increasingly money-conscious
    • shazzablue
    • By shazzablue 22nd Aug 17, 11:00 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    shazzablue
    I,m getting cheaper prices on confused but will check all other energy comparison websites...I,m a £111 per year more with energy club for the same company!..green network energy....my dd at present is £58 a month with,bg...with gne it will rise to £62.all very confusing.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 22nd Aug 17, 11:25 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Mchambers
    My collective is coming to end during October. BG are increasing their prices by by over £200 per year so it will be bye bye BG.

The best deals that I am seeing on MSE energy club is with companies that I have never heard of; one of which is Green network energy. I will wait for a few weeks and hopefully MSE will report a new collective.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Aug 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Hengus
    The best deals that I am seeing on MSE energy club is with companies that I have never heard of; one of which is Green network energy. I will wait for a few weeks and hopefully MSE will report a new collective.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    I may be mistaken but I think that you will find that MSE has heard of this particular supplier.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/04/its-on-slash-your-energy-bill-by-280year

Correction:

I am wrong. MSE signed up with Green Star, and Green Network Energy is another new supplier. No doubt different from the rest etc etc etc. It is getting difficult to keep up with the number of suppliers that Ofgem is awarding aupply licences to at the moment. They must be desperate for the £450 registration fees.

https://greennetworkenergy.co.uk/who-are-we/

British energy with Italian flair.
    Last edited by Hengus; 22-08-2017 at 5:58 PM.
    • Pedro1877
    • By Pedro1877 22nd Aug 17, 12:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Pedro1877
    From my BG letter yesterday
    I have posted this on another thread. Only found this one today.

• 22nd Aug 17, 10:02 AM

"We hope you'll decide to stay withus but, as your fixed contract is ending, you can move to a different supplier without any notice or paying an exit fee

If you decide to switch you will keep your current prices until:
    1. you switch to one of our other tariffs ...... You have got to be joking!
    2. you switch to another supplier and they tell us you'd like to switch within 20 days after your current tariff ends. The switch then needs to be completed in a reasonable time.

You can move to a different supplier without paying any exit fees from the 13th August

We may refuse the switch if you owe us money unless you pay what you owe within 30 working days of our refusal."
    • ThePirates
    • By ThePirates 22nd Aug 17, 12:45 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThePirates
    I had the same issue - BG DD increase because of their forecast usage against the new prices. I told them I would be leaving at the end of this deal and them put my DD back down to what it's been all year. They are still going to owe me £80 at the end of it.

Just waiting for the next collective fix or I'll just have to go with the top of the best picks at the beginning of September.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

1,268Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin