Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    M271
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End 8th Aug 17 at 6:48 PM
    I am currently on the MSE Collective Switch with BG which comes to an end on 3rd October. Will a another collective switch be launched before then (statement aimed at MSE reps) or should I just start looking at the best deals around 4 to 5 weeks before my deal comes to an end?
Page 1
    • grahamm
    • By grahamm 9th Aug 17, 12:59 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    grahamm
    • 9th Aug 17, 12:59 AM
    • 9th Aug 17, 12:59 AM
    According to the MSE Cheap Energy Club you can switch up to 50 days before your deal ends without getting exit penalties.

I'm sure there's going to be another Collective Switch soon.

I certainly will switch somewhere because British Gas have just emailed me to tell me that they're going to virtually double my Direct Debit because of the amount of gas and electric they think I'm going to use in the next year (based, presumably, on their hiked prices!)
    if i had known then what i know now
    • MSE Laura
    • By MSE Laura 9th Aug 17, 9:48 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MSE Laura
    • 9th Aug 17, 9:48 AM
    • 9th Aug 17, 9:48 AM
    Hi M271,

We’re hoping to run another collective switch later this year, but as yet we’re not able to confirm dates. The energy market has been challenging in recent months, so there’s no guarantee that we’ll be successful.

Although we’ll always aim to beat it, the cheapest deal available today may not be available by the time we next hold a collective. You can either fix and lock in your prices now to be safe, or hold on to see if we can negotiate a better deal.

Thanks,
    MSE Laura
    • Alex S
    • By Alex S 9th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alex S
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    Hi there, is the big switch deal a fixed deal? BG are charging me more than what the Energy Club says I am on and also just had a letter advising my Electricity price will be rising on 1st September.

Thanks Alex
    • LyndaL
    • By LyndaL 9th Aug 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LyndaL
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:32 AM
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:32 AM
    Hi, We too have just received notification that they are more than doubling our payments as of 20th August because they estimate that's what we should pay when they increase their prices. I am trusting MSE and will pay the increase but would hope for a refund from BG if we leave at the end of the collective deal. Why oh why do these utility companies put us through all this stress?
    • MSE Laura
    • By MSE Laura 9th Aug 17, 11:54 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MSE Laura
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:54 AM
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:54 AM
    Hi there, is the big switch deal a fixed deal? BG are charging me more than what the Energy Club says I am on and also just had a letter advising my Electricity price will be rising on 1st September.

Thanks Alex
    Originally posted by Alex S
    Hi, We too have just received notification that they are more than doubling our payments as of 20th August because they estimate that's what we should pay when they increase their prices. I am trusting MSE and will pay the increase but would hope for a refund from BG if we leave at the end of the collective deal. Why oh why do these utility companies put us through all this stress?
    Originally posted by LyndaL
    Hi both,

A fixed tariff means that the rates of the tariff are fixed, rather than your payment amounts. Your payments can increase or decrease depending on how much energy you're using.

If you can, it's best to send regular meter readings to your supplier so that both yourself and the supplier are able to monitor your usage and adjust your payment amounts accordingly.

However if you think that British Gas has increased your direct debit unfairly, you can challenge this. For more info, see our guide:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2015/10/energy-direct-debit-hiked-challenge-it

Hope this helps.
    MSE Laura
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Aug 17, 11:58 AM
    • 27,025 Posts
    • 13,144 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:58 AM
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:58 AM

Thanks Alex
    Originally posted by Alex S
    The MSE BG Collective tariff - the subject of this thread - is a fixed deal that ends 03 Oct 2017.

Sounds like you are not on this tariff?? Prices vary in different regions of UK, but as a guide the charges in the Midlands are 9.02p/kWh electricity, 2.541p/kWh gas and 21.809p daily standing charge for each. Prices include VAT and there is a £15 discount for dual fuel.
    • frmarcus
    • By frmarcus 9th Aug 17, 3:14 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    frmarcus
    • 9th Aug 17, 3:14 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 3:14 PM
    I'm on the MSE Collective: I do hope MSE can negotiate another soon. I'd rather stay with BG but not if MSE can't negotiate another decent deal with it, and I know it's only a chance that a new deal will be with it...
    • M271
    • By M271 9th Aug 17, 4:48 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    • 9th Aug 17, 4:48 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 4:48 PM
    According to the MSE Cheap Energy Club you can switch up to 50 days before your deal ends without getting exit penalties.

I'm sure there's going to be another Collective Switch soon.

I certainly will switch somewhere because British Gas have just emailed me to tell me that they're going to virtually double my Direct Debit because of the amount of gas and electric they think I'm going to use in the next year (based, presumably, on their hiked prices!)
    Originally posted by grahamm

Thanks for your feedback.
    As it takes in my experience 4 to 6 weeks to typically change suppliers, if there isn't a Collective Switch available at the beginning of September I'll go with a competitive company on the cost comparison tool. Even a few unnecessary weeks at BG standard rate would blow any marginally cheaper deal cost advantage.
    I'll watch this space with interest as all of the best deals at the moment are with small companies which I will need to evaluate carefully before selecting.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 10th Aug 17, 12:43 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    r2015
    I'm on the SG MSE collective as well and SG gave me a refund of £70 and put my DD up to £105 from £84 so will collect £210 by 3rd Oct.

I'm going on holiday and will probably only use £125 of gas and electricity by then, going on what I used last year for that time. so they will have to refund me £85 if I leave them.

At least I will get an extra 84p from Santander.

This is the second time they have put up the DD, if they had left it at what it was I would have had a zero balance on 3rd October.
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • martin998877
    • By martin998877 10th Aug 17, 9:25 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    martin998877
    We NEED another collective switch option for 4 october onwards!
    Hi M271,

We’re hoping to run another collective switch later this year, but as yet we’re not able to confirm dates. The energy market has been challenging in recent months, so there’s no guarantee that we’ll be successful.

Although we’ll always aim to beat it, the cheapest deal available today may not be available by the time we next hold a collective. You can either fix and lock in your prices now to be safe, or hold on to see if we can negotiate a better deal.

Thanks,
    MSE Laura
    Originally posted by MSE Laura

the problem is, the thousands of people that took up the collective switch last September, ending 3 October this year, are all reaching the end of the BG contract with 35% price increases if we stay with BG. It might be a bit difficult, but we really need you to sort out another collective switch for us by then! And surely it being a bit difficult is what your job is there to sort out!

if you don't have a new collective switch asap, we will all be randomly going to different suppliers. Surely you need to replace the current expiring one with another? It needs to be done now, before the high (and so expensive) use of fuel over the cold winter months. Plus surely you want us all to switch with you, as it's how you quite rightly make your income from the swith-in fee that suppliers pay?

When you do get round to it if you don't do it now, we will all be mid-contract and it won't be any use to any of us.

I did a Uswitch and EnergyClub comparison. It will be a bit more expensive next year, but the problem is that all of the deals are with small suppliers with seemingly awful customer service reports. So it's difficult for us - but we're not professionals like you at sorting out deals.

Martin
    • martin998877
    • By martin998877 10th Aug 17, 9:31 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    martin998877
    Thanks for your feedback.
    As it takes in my experience 4 to 6 weeks to typically change suppliers, if there isn't a Collective Switch available at the beginning of September I'll go with a competitive company on the cost comparison tool. Even a few unnecessary weeks at BG standard rate would blow any marginally cheaper deal cost advantage.
    I'll watch this space with interest as all of the best deals at the moment are with small companies which I will need to evaluate carefully before selecting.
    Originally posted by M271

I agree, it's the first time I've seen all of the reasonable deals being with the new smaller companies, and looking at other comparison sites, their customer service quality is often very questionable.
    • M271
    • By M271 10th Aug 17, 1:33 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    I'm on the SG MSE collective as well and SG gave me a refund of £70 and put my DD up to £105 from £84 so will collect £210 by 3rd Oct.

I'm going on holiday and will probably only use £125 of gas and electricity by then, going on what I used last year for that time. so they will have to refund me £85 if I leave them.

At least I will get an extra 84p from Santander.

This is the second time they have put up the DD, if they had left it at what it was I would have had a zero balance on 3rd October.
    Originally posted by r2015

They raised my DD as well even though we had a mild winter and I was not in negative territory.

I have not had a bill since February and when they recently asked me to give a meter reading within the next 14 days I get another email back saying that a meter reading is not needed yet! and the same happened with 7 days to go.

I am wary of these 'new' smaller companies with even the ones that currently get good reports could easily be swamped by new applicants if they have a good deal and customer service will suffer. I was previous successfully with OVO but even they seem to be not so competitive now.
    • martin998877
    • By martin998877 10th Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    martin998877
    They raised my DD as well even though we had a mild winter and I was not in negative territory.

BG raised my DD too a couple of weeks ago, even though I was in credit and it is the low usage time of year. I rang and they said they would reduce it back down. But they didn't. so I rang again and they again said they would reduce it. Maybe it was in anticipation of their 35% increase if I went onto their standard tariff!

At any rate I'll be getting the surplus back on 4 October, but if BG is a company with good customer service, then I dread these small upstarts with bad reputations already.
    • MSE Laura
    • By MSE Laura 10th Aug 17, 2:59 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MSE Laura
    Hi martin998877,

The team here at MoneySavingExpert has been working hard with suppliers to try and get things prepared for a collective later this year. Of course we’re well aware that we’ve lots of Cheap Energy Club users who are coming to the end of a collective deal and have run collectives during September for the past couple of years.

That said, the energy market is pretty tricky right now. We tried and unfortunately failed to secure a national collective in November 2016 and February 2017 and in April could only get a winning deal from a less well-known supplier, Green Star.

We really hope to be able to pull something off, but this is far from guaranteed just yet and as such we can’t confirm the dates of a collective. As soon as we have more information to share, we’ll include it in the weekly email and on the site (our editorial team are working on a guide to go up in the next few days).

I understand this may be a little frustrating, but I can assure you the lack of news on this isn’t because we’re not working away on this.

I hope that helps to reassure you.

MSE Laura
    • M271
    • By M271 11th Aug 17, 2:50 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    In about a weeks time the Collective Switch ending 3rd Oct will be within the 50 day period without penalty. That's when it will be decision time either to:
    1) Get a deal soon and start the switching process. Maybe could have had a few more weeks at the low Collective Switch rates but the more expensive rate deals are at a lower usage time of year.
    2) Wait until closer to the date for better deals or new MSE Collective Switch but risk having some weeks at the BG variable rate which is much higher than current deals available.

Decisions, decisions!!
    • Alex S
    • By Alex S 13th Aug 17, 3:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alex S
    Yes I am on this tariff but take on board your point re regional variations.
    Alex
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Aug 17, 3:57 PM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 2,713 Thanks
    Hengus
    In about a weeks time the Collective Switch ending 3rd Oct will be within the 50 day period without penalty. That's when it will be decision time either to:
    1) Get a deal soon and start the switching process. Maybe could have had a few more weeks at the low Collective Switch rates but the more expensive rate deals are at a lower usage time of year.
    2) Wait until closer to the date for better deals or new MSE Collective Switch but risk having some weeks at the BG variable rate which is much higher than current deals available.

Decisions, decisions!!
    Just to be clear, if BG is advised that a transfer is in progress by the new supplier in the period up to ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’ then you have tariff protection. In other words, you will stay on your present fixed tariff rates until the actual transfer goes through.
    • Ads1
    • By Ads1 14th Aug 17, 8:58 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ads1
    Just to be clear, if BG is advised that a transfer is in progress by the new supplier in the period up to ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’ then you have tariff protection. In other words, you will stay on your present fixed tariff rates until the actual transfer goes through.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I wasn't aware of this. When I switched before I was about a week outside my fixed rate deal when the switch went through and I got charged the standard rate for that week. I'll keep an eye out for this in future. Thanks
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Aug 17, 9:34 AM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 2,713 Thanks
    Hengus
    I wasn't aware of this. When I switched before I was about a week outside my fixed rate deal when the switch went through and I got charged the standard rate for that week. I'll keep an eye out for this in future. Thanks
    Originally posted by Ads1
    Access to Supply Licences on the Ofgem website appears to be down at the moment but this is a response from E.oN to this particular issue:

Quote: Provided we're notified within the Price Protection window (open from the date of the renewal notice until 20 working days after the tariff end date), we'll make sure prices are protected and customers aren't defaulted to our standard tariff. Exit fees don't apply when inside the window either. As long as the account is applied for during the window, we'll continue to protect prices even if the loss date is after the window closes. Unquote

If your new supplier doesn't inform the old supplier before contract end then your old supplier may move you on to its SVT. That said, it SHOULD change you back to your old tariff if transfer in progress notification is received in the period contract end to 20 days. Note: not all suppliers are signed up to 17 day switching. Iresa, for example, isn't and it has 35 days to transfer your supply from the date that it receives your application to switch. More importantly, it takes NO action to inform the losing supplier of a transfer until after the 14 day cooling off period has elapsed.

It follows that if you switched to, say E.oN on the day before contract end that the price protection window would apply but if you chose Iresa it might not. You have to read the small print.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,091Posts Today

8,715Users online

Martin's Twitter