Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,557Posts
    • 50,623Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 19
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 12th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    I'll call in early for tomorrow too actually as I'm driving.

10/18 please shaggy
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4,515 Posts
    • 45,582 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Another good reading this morning - nearing 3 pounds. I can't believe how bad I've let things get!!!
    Originally posted by shaggydoo
    But you're on the right track now, so that's good.

I had a serious wobble today between 5-7pm. It was touch and go. I was feeling stressed. A friend offered to bring round wine, but I declined. Put the kettle on instead. That moment of desire was actually short lived but it was really strong.
    Originally posted by CuppaTea
    Fortunately, cravings actually don't last that long. I read somewhere it's about 20 minutes, and it starts off really, really strong, and then tapers off until by the end of the 20 minutes its passed completely. The secret is to not give in to it, and knowing it's only 20 minutes max helped me enormously.

I don't get them any more although no-one had ever told me that they disappear after a while, and I find that quite heartening. I thought I was going to have to live with them forever and I absolutely don't.

13/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 13th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    3/10 for today please Shaggy
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 13th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 9,036 Thanks
    cathybird
    Good morning all - 13/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,183.81/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Sep AFDs: 21/21 2017 AFDs: 218/252
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 16,646 Posts
    • 99,410 Thanks
    maman
    Interesting that so many of us at the moment are working on weightloss. I know I should be motivated more by health or finances but it's the thought of empty calories that always helps me keep on track.

N drinking today but tomorrow is DH's birthday so I think a celebration is planned.

5 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 13th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 4,588 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon everyone,

6 AFD for me please Shaggy x
    Arkers x
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 13th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    maggiem
    4/15 for tonight please Shaggy

Managed to not buy wine whilst looking for something to eat in my hotel room - but not quite brave enough to wander down the wine aisle! More than 1/3 through the month and not achieved as many AFDs. Tonight I was thinking well why not buy a small 250ml bottle of wine - trying to be healthier, drink less seems less important. Except I know just how easily I will then drink wine every night and the siren call of let's open another bottle etc etc. Wish there was an on off switch but I'm rather too old to believe in magic. Need to remember how Honeybear focuses on how well she feels because of not drinking rather than thinking of how much I would like a glass of wine. Onwards everyone.
    Last edited by maggiem; 13-09-2017 at 9:13 PM. Reason: Typing errors
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 13th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    8/24

Would like to have a run of AF days now. Although it is Work drinks again tommorow.

I had to buy 1 size up jeans this week - taking heart it's not just me. The thing Is they fit me perfectly and feels so much better than squeezing into too small clothes.
    Good luck to all trying to be slimmer. Harder than it sounds. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 13th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 43,196 Thanks
    Barny1979
    10/25 AFDs today
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 14th Sep 17, 5:24 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 16,609 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning,

4/10 AFD for me please Shaggy.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7400.00 Cap 1: £562.23 BC: £4577.81 Overdraft: £2750.00

AFD 5/10 NSD 2/10 LTW 10/15

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 14th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    9/24

Deciding early. And I have decided today needs some white lies to colleagues and going to remember all of HBs advice and wisdom. xxx
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 4,515 Posts
    • 45,582 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Good luck PSL. I'll be thinking of you today and sending you *stay strong vibes* to help.

14/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 14th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    Up to 6/10 for last night and I am having my monthly massage tonight so should really drink water when I get back. I am currently on track for target this month, which is a good thing as my target is lower than I would like it to be.

Today will most likely be my last AFD until 25th now as I am away from Saturday and being booked into a lounge at the airport I will no doubt be rather tempted by the inclusive prosecco (well it would be rude not to!)
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 14th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Declaring early for tonight on 4/10 please Shaggy
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 14th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 16,609 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Has anyone found that they are sleeping heavier? Not a bad thing I guess but I'm finding that I am generally more tired when I wake up at the moment.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7400.00 Cap 1: £562.23 BC: £4577.81 Overdraft: £2750.00

AFD 5/10 NSD 2/10 LTW 10/15

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 14th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    Can I join in please? As you can see I knocked smoking on the head a long time ago. I've come to the conclusion after 40 years of unwise drinking that I need to take the same course & give it up altogether.

Managed 2 days so far which is good for me.
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 14th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 50,623 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    I had to buy 1 size up jeans this week - taking heart it's not just me. The thing Is they fit me perfectly and feels so much better than squeezing into too small clothes.
    Good luck to all trying to be slimmer. Harder than it sounds. xxx
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    I've gone up 2 sizes
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 14th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 50,623 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Can I join in please? As you can see I knocked smoking on the head a long time ago. I've come to the conclusion after 40 years of unwise drinking that I need to take the same course & give it up altogether.

Managed 2 days so far which is good for me.
    Originally posted by tallyhoh
    Welcome! Do you want to set a target for September - you can go target free if you want?
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 14th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 50,623 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : September 2017
    September 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 6/TF
    Barny1979 10/25

CathyBird 13/21
    CuppaTea 10/18

Eltee
    /18

ElusiveLucy
    6/10
    Honey Bear 14/30

MaggieM 4/15

Maman
    5/10
    Poor Single Lady 9/24

Pricey
    /20

PurpleMumof2 4/10
    Shaggy 7/21

StepUpToThePl8 /5

StichyWitchy 1/15

SukeyBoo
    4/10

Tallyhoh 2/TF

WBF 7/21

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 14th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    I want to go totally AF in September, like smoking if I had one I would be off again.
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin