Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 20th Jan 16, 5:40 PM
    • 559Posts
    • 3,098Thanks
    scotdebs
    It's all fun and games until ...........
    • 20th Jan 16, 5:40 PM
    It's all fun and games until ........... 20th Jan 16 at 5:40 PM
    You are faced with the possibility of losing your job Having lost count of the LBMs and diaries started its probably best to start with a quick recap using my guide of How to Get Yourself in Debt

Step 1 - deny deny deny
    The main bulk of our debt was racked up years ago when we were earning ok but not fabulous money - but boy did we live the fabulous life style- dinners out, great holidays, gadgets - basically we denied ourselves nothing- never worried about the debt we had - life was good tomorrow would never come

Step 2 - realisation, panic face the problem
    We moved house massively increasing our mortgage then it suddenly became a bit trickier to meet all the cc repayments so I did the sensible thing ..... Had a baby and went on mat leave for 12 months ( half of which was paid, let's not mention the other half). Then realised we couldn't meet card payments and pay normal bills and basically we were in the poo. This time I did face up to it - cut down on loads of house hold bills, food shopping,started living on a tight budget etc and started being able to make overpayment to some of the debts

Step 3 - sod this it's too hard
    We now had both had decent pay rises which meant that we could services all the debt ok and still live well - and well I could alwaysmake an overpayment next month anyway ........

Follow the above easy steps and you too could find yourself in debt to the tune of £43k

So now faced with a very real prospect of not being in my current job this time next year and the thought of any package I do get going ALL on paying off debt breaks my heart ..... It's time to put on the big girl pants and face this properly paying off as much debt as I can within the next yr which means any package can be a proper buffer till I get another job or go towards something useful - if I'm very lucky and stay in my job then double bonus

My next post will be a shameful listing of all current debts,........
Page 3
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 15th Feb 16, 6:33 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    So bumper portion of spag Bol made tonight ... Seriously think it will do us another 2 meals

Already "having a word with myself" about tomorrow nights dinner - we are heading away for a few days on Wednesday and so that would normally be the perfect excuse to get takeaway I WILL MAKE PAELLA ! Repeats to self 100 times - I don't need to make dinner wed, thurs, fri so no need to "treat" myself tomorrow night- there that's me told myself ....
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th Feb 16, 11:07 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,744 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Paella - yum

Yes, we are telling you too...
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • elly68
    • By elly68 18th Feb 16, 6:26 AM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    elly68
    Hi Scotdebs we switched full package virgin to bt with netflix 3 weeks in dont think we have missed it feels a bit weird and we are now even switching the damn thing off kids not complaining either £127 now 57 tv phone and wifi ,worth a punt think we got a £50.00 prepaid card and money back to on topcash back you will be horrified at how many channels are still there for free hope this helps x
    Halifax loan 15900/16500 2 payments left
    bos cc 300/8500
    santander 0/2850 0% this will be min payment only
    Good to update
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 18th Feb 16, 9:45 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,744 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    We have a BT box and Netflix and kids put up with it. You Tube etc for anything else they want. I don't really think we suffer..

We also use Chromecast (£30 one off I think) so we 'throw' stuff at the TV via the ipad...so the TV becomes a massive screen for the ipad, basically, which is great. Still bit of a novelty for the kids, but we all use it.
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 20th Feb 16, 7:23 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    Evening diary back from our break away and it was lovely - managed to come in under budget due to the hotel not charging us for the boys breakfasts ( ours were in included in the special rate )
    This meant that when boys put their trainers on for the first time in weeks ( weather has been so foul here since new year it's been boot and wellies when not in school shoes) and both complained they were too tight I was quite relaxed about stopping at the outlets on the way home and getting them both new trainers - 2 pairs from nike factory outlet £36

Hi Elly & brizzle i know we need to look at what we spend on tv and how we "watch" tv and there are certainly savings to be made there but for me the priority just now is learning to live in a budget - if I was to post an soa just now even with the expensive discretionary spends we have in it would suggest I have close to £1.5k a month to throw at debt - you only need to look at my signature to see that is not whats happening in reality - in reality the amount I budget for grocery shopping is double, in reality the 1 treat takeaway/meal out per month is 3 etc blah blah if I manage to cut my sky/ bt costs without getting better discipline on the over spends they will just end up being another dominos pizza

But this time away with the family has if anything renewed my desire to get rid of this debt - how much more of these times and experiences together could we have if we weren't having to service and pay back this ridiculous amount of debt we are in - I would love to take the boys to New York during December when it is in full Christmas overload - not to shop till we drop - believe it or not despite the debt that's not really my thing- but for the experience - a previous boss of mine once gave me an unexpected bonus and told me " don't use it to buy things use it to create memories" I always found that to be quite inspiring and will keep it in mind every time i say no to the takeaway, sit down to do the weekly meal planner and tell myself that I don't need to do a full shop just because we have run out of raspberries
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 21st Feb 16, 10:03 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,744 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Really glad you had a great break away and also came back fired up to hit the debt
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 21st Feb 16, 10:04 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,744 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    PS. Am with you on the 'raspberry' syndrome...although in my house the trigger used to be brie and olives
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 21st Feb 16, 11:31 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    It's crazy isn't it brizzle house could be full of food but a lack of Raspberries, bananas and brioche seem to trigger the need to go and hand Mr A £100 ...........so just about to start meal planning and am upping the MSE ......over the last few weeks I have just decided what we are going to have and shopped accordingly - this was a massive step change for me - this week I'm going to look in cupboards and freezer to see what we actually already have (radical I know) - I haven't seen the middle never mind the bottom of the chest freezer in the garage in about 3 years- wish me luck I may be some time
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 23rd Feb 16, 6:11 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    Pretty quiet on the MSE front at the moment patiently waiting for pay day on Friday in the mean time just sticking to the meal planner only spent £80 at supermarket on last shop and can see it will comfortably last us the week - I know that some folks will think that's too high a spend for a family of four but it's a big reduction from what I normally spend so if I can keep it at that each week I'll actually be under my grocery budget than the 100% overspend that normally happens

Need to use this weekend to get on the eBay bandwagon - I will commit to getting 3 things on by Sunday .......promise
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Feb 16, 7:46 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,744 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    We are holding you to that debs....we need you to take a photo of said items and post on here as proof
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 24th Feb 16, 11:51 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    When you are going through the steady plod of meal planning, NSDs, mini overpayments and waiting for pay day it can seem as though not much is happening on the debt busting front - then someone else notices a change in your behaviour and you realise perhaps you are taking the right steps in the right direction ...... So at dinner time I realised we had run out of milk - due to my new super shopping list technology (patented) and not buying enough to feed a small city I realised I had to pop to the local shop (literally 90sec walk from the house)

Lovely local shopkeeper: " hello how are you not seen you for ages you been away ?"
    Me : "eh no ??"

I work from home So in the past most day were filled with a wee pop across the road for cans of juice, bit of lunch and other random spends - just realised I haven't been in that shop today for 12 days !!!!!! Ok we were away for 4 of those but even still I'm still surprised and shocked ..... It really is the things we do every day that count
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 25th Feb 16, 7:22 AM
    • 30,336 Posts
    • 18,139 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Milk: We don't use much so buy the cheapest per ltr size or reduced and freeze in 1pt. Cartons it's fine and if you spot running low get one out.

Cartons go through the dishwasher for reuse.
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 28th Feb 16, 4:40 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    Oh my word at last have 3 items listed on eBay - took FOREVER ....well seeing it's been some time since I have done that - have probably another 10 items to be listed but thought let's see how these go and can learn any lesions since it's been over 18 months since I last sold stuff on eBay ......

Ok now to make over payments and update the list of shame ....... Was payday on Friday
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 28th Feb 16, 9:22 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,744 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sorry to hear that. Depends what it is of course but I threw up some items pretty speedy today, so maybe it gets quicker with practice

We buy milk in bulk too and just freeze it in the plastic containers. Just defrost on side when it's getting low.

I find it hard to do a No Spend Day, but Low Spend Days are easier. Just try and not over do it. Desperate though for a new pair of jeans..my last proper pair which I love, I bought in 2010 but they were £190.. And looking online there are no secondhand ones...well there are fake new ones...but no second hand ones which look legit in my size. Aagh. I live in jeans when not at work so finding this a hard one.

How is the list going? Kicked any into touch yet!?

Have a great week

Brizzle
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 29th Feb 16, 12:30 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    So overpayments done and balances updated here is updated list of shame

Rbs gold. £246
    His mbna. £10525
    My mbna. £6077
    Black card. £1111
    My BOS. £4084
    His BOS. £ 2328
    Very. £ 1254
    My bcard. £4988
    Halifax. £6695

Debt now £38.3k, £5k and just over 11% paid ofF so far - I WILL be under £30k by end of this year. On my ever expanding spreadsheet I have details of when all the 0% offered end and which I need to tackle and by when to pay min amount of interest possible . Almost as pleasing as the reduction is that it now costs me £613 to just meet the min payments compared to £870 before I start reshuffling the 0% deals and making the overpayments. Also since most of the debt is on 0% the min payments are making a small impact instead of nothing at all. That's the bonus spent now so the reduction each month won't be so dramatic - so this will be the real test of keeping focused .........
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 1st Mar 16, 6:20 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    So after the giddiness of paying big chunks of debt off over the weekend thanks to the bonus it's now down to the day to day MSE life of a DFW

After a stressful day on the work and health front I nearly came a cropper on the takeaway temptation but have stuck to the meal plan and dinner cooking away as I type however I can't guarantee the safety of the bottle of wine leftover from book club last weekend

Also made 2 TTs today just rounding down to the nearest £ but forgot how much I enjoyed doing them - thanks to Brizzle for reminding me via her diary .......... Now where did I stash that wine .....
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st Mar 16, 7:23 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,915 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    You're doing fantastically well 5k in a couple of months is brilliant!
    I almost succumbed to fried chicken takeaway tonight, but luckily enough had forgotten my purse so the decision was made for me.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 1st Mar 16, 8:38 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    scotdebs
    Thanks CCL unfortunately won't be able to pay off that much every month but hope to be under £30k by end of the year - really want to get out the habit of random takeaways not only will I stay in budget and meet my overpayment schedule but I will REALLY enjoy one when I do treat myself
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • alice_kate
    • By alice_kate 2nd Mar 16, 8:44 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    alice_kate
    Thanks CCL unfortunately won't be able to pay off that much every month but hope to be under £30k by end of the year - really want to get out the habit of random takeaways not only will I stay in budget and meet my overpayment schedule but I will REALLY enjoy one when I do treat myself
    Originally posted by scotdebs
    Random takeaways are terrible for us! I did some calculations and in the last few months we've wasted hundreds on takeaways or eating out!

Takeaways as a treat always taste so much better!
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 2nd Mar 16, 1:05 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    Claree__x
    Hitching along for the ride as another takeaway addict, if you'll have me!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

231Posts Today

1,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin