Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lamp
    0 WOW
    Meerkat Movies
    • 25th Mar 15, 7:05 AM
    0 WOW
    Meerkat Movies 25th Mar 15 at 7:05 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert May 16:

Hi everyone, it's well worth reading our fully researched Meerkat Movies trick blog for the full lowdown on this.

Thanks to lamp for posting! Back to the original post...

----

Good morning all!

I enjoyed my first usage of the Meerkat Movies code last night at the cinema.

There has been some somewhat conservative comments regarding selecting of insurance to use this offer. I just thought I'd share how I got my policy...

You are eligible for Meerkat Movies with single travel insurance policies, so I purchased a short trip one to Europe, and for under £5, I have 12 months of Meerkat Movies. Bargain.

I don't know how long that will last before the threshold is raised though.

Best of luck!

Lou
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 10-05-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Page 1
  • jeremymartin139
    • 25th Mar 15, 11:29 AM
    • 25th Mar 15, 11:29 AM
    will it came again ?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 29th Mar 15, 11:24 AM
    • 30,265 Posts
    • 19,144 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 29th Mar 15, 11:24 AM
    • 29th Mar 15, 11:24 AM
    will it came again ?
    Originally posted by jeremymartin139
    What will come again ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • zappomatic
    • By zappomatic 1st Apr 15, 3:46 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    zappomatic
    • 1st Apr 15, 3:46 PM
    • 1st Apr 15, 3:46 PM
    Cheapest way to get this is to buy a single trip UK travel insurance policy, for 1 day which costs £1.37.
  • buchanan101
    • 2nd Apr 15, 12:48 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 12:48 PM
    Damn - £1.37? Cost me £3.78 for travel insurance.

I bet they stop this soon - get in early. A year's 2 for 1 for under a fiver...!
    • Paully232000
    • By Paully232000 2nd Apr 15, 2:02 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    Paully232000
    • 2nd Apr 15, 2:02 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 2:02 PM
    I think this is a great deal.
    Also I was surprised when i had an email yesterday saying as I bought car insurance through them 5 months ago i was eligible (albeit for the next 7 months only) for the movie deal.

Wasn't expecting it, and wouldn't have even thought about complaining if they had said, only for new customers, but there you go, well done comparethemarket.
    • Tiggerlilly
    • By Tiggerlilly 8th Apr 15, 2:25 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    Tiggerlilly
    • 8th Apr 15, 2:25 PM
    • 8th Apr 15, 2:25 PM
    I purchased a £1.78 single trip policy and have had my year long membership validated. Will save more than cost of policy on first use of the offer.
    Just because your paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you !
  • tashahobo
    • 10th Apr 15, 5:27 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 5:27 PM
    I've just bought travel insurance for £2.05 but the meerkat movies won't validate - how long does it normally take?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Apr 15, 6:15 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Apr 15, 6:15 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 6:15 PM
    If it's via the app, switch the phone off and on and see if it has activated.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 11th Apr 15, 11:52 AM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I've just bought travel insurance for £2.05 but the meerkat movies won't validate - how long does it normally take?
    Originally posted by tashahobo

Yesterday afternoon I bought travel insurance for £2.67, and the Movies wouldn't validate, so I contacted them. The email I got in reply says it sometimes takes up to 72 hours.

I'm going to try again on Monday
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • stephanefunch7
    It's a great deal indeed
    • badbunny42
    • By badbunny42 15th Apr 15, 9:39 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    badbunny42
    Originally posted by tashahobo
    I have the same problem, I went with ERV at £2.05
    Last edited by badbunny42; 15-04-2015 at 9:42 PM. Reason: Add details
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 15th Apr 15, 9:55 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I tried again on Monday and it still wouldn't activate.

So I contacted them again, via the website.

I had a reply a few hours later, and they told me to try again. When I logged back in, it had already activated.

I'd suggest contacting them if anyone is still having problems
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • ganonman
    Didn't work for me with ERV.

'Sorry, we can't automatically validate your details for the selected product and brand. Please check you have selected the correct product and brand.'
    "A bank* is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

(*Unless it's Santander. The branch says they sent you an umbrella 3 times already and don't understand why you don't have it yet and want it back right now!!!)
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 16th Apr 15, 10:55 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    lean&mean
    Activating offer
    Mine wouldn't automatically validate either, though I'd only bought it about 12 hours before. It's probably the insurer not feeding back data to the comparison site quickly enough or maybe at all (I wonder how much commission they miss as a result).

I contacted CompareTheMarket online via website feedback and they replied within an hour! They asked for details of the policy, email address, name etc. Once I gave them all that they activated the offer within about 30 minutes. Great service as I was hoping to use it that evening at the cinema.

I had missed the ruse of buying one day cover, but perhaps it wasn't open still. I bought one year cover for my 22yr old son, cost about £12, so the second film is free in effect. Still brilliant value, though not as good as Orange Weds, RIP.

Only other tip I would offer is if you are trying to activate through the phone app, once CTM have activated you manually, make sure you close the phone app and reopen it. Once you've put in your details it will automatically show you as activated.
    Last edited by lean&mean; 16-04-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    • zappomatic
    • By zappomatic 16th Apr 15, 3:23 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    zappomatic
    I had missed the ruse of buying one day cover, but perhaps it wasn't open still. I bought one year cover for my 22yr old son, cost about £12, so the second film is free in effect. Still brilliant value, though not as good as Orange Weds, RIP.
    Originally posted by lean&mean
    I'd say it's better than Orange Wednesdays - lower entry cost, no need to pay out 35p a text every time, works on Tuesday OR Wednesday, works in conjunction with Cineworld Bargain Tuesdays. Only thing that's missing is Pizza Express but there are plenty of alternatives.
    • psstoverere
    • By psstoverere 16th Apr 15, 8:46 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    psstoverere
    Has anyone got their new code for next tues and weds? mine says Ooops sorry we could not issue a new code
    • miketaff1408
    • By miketaff1408 16th Apr 15, 11:19 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    miketaff1408
    Having similar problems activatinge the account with a £2.06 travel insurance. Does not recognise the details.

Have emailed them.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Apr 15, 9:50 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    Hi. I've found that this is badly researched advice from Deal Hunters. I got Travel insurance for £2.03 but It wont validate it. And when I looked at the terms and conditions, it CLEARLY says that Travel Insurance is one of the purchases that they WONT accept.
    This has been terrible advice that has wasted mine and many other people's money.
    Did MSE Deal Hunters get a nice kick back from Compare The Market for tricking so many people into wasting their money or are the researchers just incompetent?
    Originally posted by central.fm
    Get ready to apologise:

From the meerkat's ts + cs

http://www.comparethemarket.com/information/meerkat-movies-terms/#qualifying

5. Qualifying Purchase
    5.1 MEERKAT MOVIES is available to those who:
    5.1.1 Purchased: car insurance, motorcycle insurance, van insurance, contents and/or buildings insurance, pet insurance, life insurance, landlord insurance or travel insurance;
    • psstoverere
    • By psstoverere 17th Apr 15, 9:51 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    psstoverere
    It clearly states travel insurance is included, my validated after 48 hours but i couldnt get next weeks code on my phone, i have since logged in via computer and got next weeks code which seems to have sorted it out on my phone too. I paid £2.05 very happy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin