Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Richard220156
    • By Richard220156 13th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Richard220156
    Cope
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    Cope 13th Sep 17 at 2:35 PM
    Hi all, I am at that stage of life where I decided to check my state pension (61 yo).
    I find that I will get a full state pension as I have contributed 40+ yrs NI .
    I Have also seen that I will get a pension of £25.58 per week from a COPE
    Now my problem is that I do not have a clue where this came from and would appreciate any advise on how to find out
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 89,436 Posts
    • 54,898 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    I Have also seen that I will get a pension of £25.58 per week from a COPE
    COPE is not a pension.

it is a theoretical figure that your state pension has (potentially) been reduced by because of periods of contracting out.

You should have pension that was contracted out.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Richard220156
    • By Richard220156 13th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard220156
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    Hi dunstonh
    I understand what you are saying . It seems I have a contracted out pension equivalent, but I don't know where it is from , any idea how I can find this out . I have had literally 10s of jobs over the years
    Thanks for the reply
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 89,436 Posts
    • 54,898 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    but I don't know where it is from , any idea how I can find this out .
    I believe the online forecast tells you the years you were contracted out. That may help identify it.

If you had a final salary scheme, it would likely be that. Many occupational pensions were contracted out. If it was a personal pension, then you are talking more recently as you could only contract out from 1987 (88 but there was a pre-Royal Assent period).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 13th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    Use the pension tracing service here https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details Do not be tricked by the other sites which want to charge you money.

You will need to know who you have worked for.

If you don't the HMRC contracted out help line should be able to help.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    • 22,855 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    xylophone
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pension-fact-sheets/contracting-out-and-why-we-may-have-included-a-contracted-out-pension-equivalent-cope-amount-when-you-used-the-online-service

Trace old pension? Try

https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 13th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Mnd
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    When we had to track down a forgotten pension, we phoned the government state pension office, really helped and told us when my wife was contracted out, and she gave us another number to call who gave us the details of the fund. It was well worth it, my wife's fund was in excess of £50k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,899Users online

Martin's Twitter