Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r2015
    • By r2015 13th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 882Posts
    • 252Thanks
    r2015
    When should I initiate the switch?
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    When should I initiate the switch? 13th Sep 17 at 11:58 AM
    Like a lot of others I am on SG collective fix ending on 3rd Oct 2017 and I will be leaving them for Bulb, switching through MSE CEC for the £25 cashback.

Should I start the switch now or wait until 3rd Oct 2017?

Also I am £105.71 in credit and estimate my final bill will be just under £100, with a DD of £105.71 due on 1st Oct 2017, so should I cancel that final DD?
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 2,427 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    Like a lot of others I am on SG collective fix ending on 3rd Oct 2017 and I will be leaving them for Bulb, switching through MSE CEC for the £25 cashback.

Should I start the switch now or wait until 3rd Oct 2017?

Also I am £105.71 in credit and estimate my final bill will be just under £100, with a DD of £105.71 due on 1st Oct 2017, so should I cancel that final DD?
    Originally posted by r2015
    Leaving it until the last day of your present contract is asking for problems but it can be made to work as follows:

1. You will need to choose a supplier that has a proven record of 17 day switching. Some of the smaller suppliers take no transfer action until after the cooling off period has ended. Suppliers that are signed up to 17 day switching will start the transfer process immediately.

2. BG will transfer you to its SVT on the 4th October. Provided that they receive notification via industry procedures that a transfer is in progress by within the period contract end to contract end plus 20 days, then you are price protected. However, you will not know whether the appropriate transfer notice has been given.

3. Suppliers have 5 weeks to transfer your supply; hence, the potential for something to go awry.

The decision/risk sits with you.

Do not cancel your DD until the transfer as gone through. It is often a contract term that you have a DD up and running. A failed payment can result in a move to a SVT. You will get all your credit back.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 13th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    r2015
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    1. You will need to choose a supplier that has a proven record of 17 day switching
    Are Bulb one of these suppliers?
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
  • Will at Bulb
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    Are Bulb one of these suppliers?
    Originally posted by r2015
    We switch in 21 days, so if you join us today your first day of supply with us will be on the 4th October. Which is exactly what you need, since the last day on your contract is the 3rd.

However, MSE usually sends us the request to switch the morning after you ask to join us. So it will actually likely be the 5th October that we start to supply your energy, if you were to ask MSE CEC to switch to us today.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
    • r2015
    • By r2015 13th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    r2015
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    I have started the switching process today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,899Users online

Martin's Twitter