Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 13th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 405Posts
    • 543Thanks
    BBH123
    Best place for regular savings
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    Best place for regular savings 13th Sep 17 at 11:06 AM
    Hi Everyone

I am looking to save approx £1000 a month over the next 5 yrs and as its not long enough for S & S ISA I was thinking a regular ISA , is this the best suggestion these days or as I am 52 is it worth maxing a pension to get some tax relief.

I have a frozen final salary scheme which is available in 5 years and this gives me enough to live off but I am still working in a company that has a very poor pension provision.

Which would be best ?
Page 1
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 13th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    ctdctd
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    No risk option - make the most of high interest current accounts and regular saver accounts.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=608697
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 13th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 12,016 Posts
    • 10,453 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    A cash ISA would be pointless, regular savers & current accounts as mentioned already will give most interest.

What happens in 5 years? Do you need to put all the money in the same place? You could use S&S ISAs for part/half of the money if you have no other investments and don't need to draw it all immediately in 5 years
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 13,230 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    I suppose he might consider using a SIPP, holding cash and regarding the tax relief as "interest"?

If he retired at age 57, (seems to be the plan) drawing down the SIPP could enable him to put off drawing his deferred DB (which could mean less or no actuarial reduction).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,844Posts Today

7,427Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin