Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mad_pc_man
    • By mad_pc_man 6th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mad_pc_man
    Part of my PC exploded and damaged the rest, am I covered?
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    Part of my PC exploded and damaged the rest, am I covered? 6th Sep 17 at 9:58 PM
    The (newish) power supply in my desktop computer exploded a week or so ago and because it was well within warranty, I sent it off to be replaced.

They found it was faulty and replaced it.

After installing the new power supply, the PC won't turn on. When the first one exploded it must have sent a surge of electricity or something through the PC and broken it.

I have a pretty good contents policy from Barclays, but it isn't clear if it is covered. Does anyone know if it would be? And how I should word a claim to make sure it is?

The only relevant clause I can find is that "electrical breakdown" is not covered. But this isn't really what I would be claiming for, it's the damaged caused by an electrical failure. Similar to if a washing machine floods a kitchen - the washing machine can be replaced but is the flood damage covered?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - to replace the PC will leave me around £1000 out of pocket! :'( :'(
Page 2
    • Ottoway
    • By Ottoway 8th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ottoway
    Question for op
    Hi there.

I've just had the same thing happen. My PSU set fire to a load of cables and took everything with it that was attached with a sata power cable that being all my ssd's, watercooler, and motherboard also because of the fire it melted all my case cables.
    Luckily my family and house are ok and cpu and ram . If I was not in the house that would of set fire causing damage to who knows what.
    My PSU was a EVGA 750gq so by no means cheap. I was wondering do you think EVGA are liable if it was the PSU is at fault because it was an electrical fire and the PSU should of cut off the second there was a surge big enough to cause a fire.

Thank you in advance to whom answers
    • phillw
    • By phillw 8th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    phillw
    if you bought good ram, they usually have lifetime warranty, the MB, CPU and GFX may not be however.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Warranty from manufacturing defects, having a power supply take out the entire computer wouldn't normally be covered & yes it can happen.

Which is why it's better to buy a computer from a company and not put the bits together yourself, because then whatever is wrong is their problem and not yours.

I always buy 3 years on site warranty and accidental damage, although I've only used laptops for the last 16 years, which has always paid off.
    Last edited by phillw; 08-09-2017 at 5:25 PM.
    • maddogb
    • By maddogb 13th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    maddogb
    TBH people need to wake up and realise that most warranties are scams, pursue problems like this under consumer regulations not warranties, they are seperate and distinct.
    Exclusion terms in warranties have no meaning when you are sueing under the SOGa or CRa
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Warranty from manufacturing defects, having a power supply take out the entire computer wouldn't normally be covered & yes it can happen.

Which is why it's better to buy a computer from a company and not put the bits together yourself, because then whatever is wrong is their problem and not yours.

I always buy 3 years on site warranty and accidental damage, although I've only used laptops for the last 16 years, which has always paid off.
    Originally posted by phillw

Buying PC computers from companies is not very money saving. I can build a computer for more than 50% of the cost. Like any warranty, self insure and leave some money every month.

If you must you can buy separate warranty if you really need.

Laptops are fine for certain people, but try playing DOOM on a 16 year laptop, that would start smoking
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

927Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin