Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 235Posts
    • 1,273Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £121.22
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 70.7% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | June '17: £154,432.16

Page 9
    • CBaker
    • By CBaker 9th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    CBaker
    I generally always tip but it varies depending on the service. Normally a good service is around 15%, poor service is at most 10%.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 9th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    glider3560
    I generally always tip but it varies depending on the service. Normally a good service is around 15%, poor service is at most 10%.
    Originally posted by CBaker
    Seriously, you tip for poor service?

It's a bit like an employer saying "you've done an awful job this year, but have a 10% annual bonus anyway".

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 50,672 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    It's a bit like an employer saying "you've done an awful job this year, but have a 10% annual bonus anyway".
    Originally posted by glider3560
    That's pretty much how it works, in Councils and banks.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,222Users online

Martin's Twitter