Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1847
    • vuteklx3
    • By vuteklx3 20th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    vuteklx3
    PPI Success from 1999-2004
    I took out loans back in 1999 with Natwest Bank, initially to buy my first car, but then consolidated loans over time to cover CC Debt and Overdrafts. Over a few years the Debt amounted to nearly £20,000.
    At every new loan/consolidation Natwest would give me a refund for the previous PPI on the loan, which at the time felt like an incentive to borrow more.
    In the end i defaulted on the loans and ended up dealing with a DCA.
    Last year i approached a PPI reclaim firm, filled out all the forms, and then was informed that they would take 40% of whatever i was awarded, furthermore, any outstanding debt would be taken from the compensation, and i would still owe them 40% of the total, which potentially leave me in debt to the Reclaim company. Knowing I was still paying the DCA, i stopped the process immediately.
    4 weeks ago, started the process again, using the Resolver tool on here, I had no account numbers, and only a rough idea of when the loans were taken out. Within a week i received 6 text messages from RBS (6 different account numbers) informing me that they were looking into my complaint. A further 2 weeks in and I received another six messages informing me that they would write to me informing me of their findings.
    Last week I paid into my bank 6 cheques amounting to £14,013.
    Had i continued with the claims company, i would have nearly half that amount.
    If you are thinking about reclaiming i cannot recommend enough, the advice on this site, whether you use the Resolver tool or write to the bank independently, get it done now while the window of opportunity is still open. My claims were from 18 years ago, so its worth pursuing even if its an old account/debt/credit card etc.
    • louisewestlake
    • By louisewestlake 21st Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    louisewestlake
    PPI success
    I too have just had a £12000 refund from RBS. We had a MINT card, and PPI was added to it automatically. I tried to cancel the PPI several times, but it was never cancelled until RBS took it over and the PPI just disappeared. I too used resolver, i had no records, just the approx period that we had the card. We had it from 1999 to 2009. TBH, I wasn't expecting to be successful, as we'd enquired through a PPI claim company before and they couldn't find any records. But I knew we'd been miss old it, so tried again after 6 months through resolver, so no commission and success!! Took 2 months for offer and they've told us cheque should be with us within 28 dats
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 21st Aug 17, 11:35 PM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Mersey

Has anyone won a claim of this nature, where the bank couldnt find your details, and you had no evidence either?
    Originally posted by Arfhurdaly

Yes, in short.

NatWest refused to look at an historic loan (as they state they only retain records for 6 years). The FOS asked them to check all of their systems again (as in another matter another dept was able to check back 9 years). They did so and a refund was paid.

In short, there is no hard and fast rule and banks are inconsistent (even within the same group).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • misterbarlow
    • By misterbarlow 22nd Aug 17, 6:31 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    misterbarlow
    My wife took out three large Egg loans around 2000-2004-ish to prop up her then partners struggling business, as his own credit line was maxed.

Took the original, then year or so later took a larger one and paid off original with it, then did same a or so year later again. Think the third one was for £20k??

They ended up selling the business and the house, and she paid off the loan when they split up.

She did them all over the phone and she distinctly remembers being told each time that they would only give each one to her if she took out PPI.

We finally got around to sending off the forms a few months ago, and finally had a letter back from CSO this week, saying they are refunding her just over FIVE GRAND!!

She also took a loan with HSBC at the same time, and we still await news on that one...

But what a result already for the cost of a few stamps!!
    They did write asking to see her marriage cert, which we sent and had back, other than that it was plain sailing..!!!

UPDATE.
    RE HSBC above, we have now heard from them and have been refunded £2300 back from HSBC also!!! Woohoo!!
    Last edited by misterbarlow; 02-09-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    • Colettep
    • By Colettep 30th Aug 17, 7:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colettep
    I had a secured loan with First plus, told I had to have PPi. I have written to them and they confirmed had PPi but that I couldn't progress claim because the provider they used for the PPi wasn't regulated? I went to the ombudsman and they confirmed correct. How was I supposed to know the provider wasn't regulated? I just thought all with first plus anyone know if there is a way around this so I can reclaim?
    • amersall
    • By amersall 30th Aug 17, 7:28 AM
    • 16,675 Posts
    • 18,720 Thanks
    amersall
    What year did you take this out?.
    You may have to find out who the insurer was and go to them, this may not be easy and is not guaranteed to work, you wont know until you try.

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Aug 17, 10:29 AM
    • 89,530 Posts
    • 54,981 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I had a secured loan with First plus, told I had to have PPi. I have written to them and they confirmed had PPi but that I couldn't progress claim because the provider they used for the PPi wasn't regulated?
    Provider is irrelevant. I think you mean broker. In most cases, First Plus used brokers and brokers did not become regulated until Jan 2005.

How was I supposed to know the provider wasn't regulated?
    you weren't. Nor were brokers. Insurance did not become regulated until Jan 2005. Brokers, accountants, IFAs, FAs, estate agents, car dealers etc dont have to consider pre-regulation complaints. Banks do because they were members of an earlier body (it was this that they went to court on and lost).

I just thought all with first plus anyone know if there is a way around this so I can reclaim?
    No. if its pre-regulation then you have no-one to complain to unless the firm volunteers to accept a pre-regulation complaint (and they wont).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • batch_2001
    • By batch_2001 3rd Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    batch_2001
    Thank you so much MSE/resolver.

I used resolver back in July to claim against 2 loans from Lloyds TSB (3K in 1995, ~3.5K in 1998).

I didn't have the paperwork for the first one, but the second one I didn't realise I had PPI until I found the paperwork for it a month ago (pre-crossed "X" and added to loan amount).

I only claimed for the first loan using resolver. Lloyds themselves linked in the second loan (I'd literally found the paperwork a week before the phonecall).

Lloyds phoned me a few weeks ago to go over why I thought I was miss-sold, the first loan I though I was advised I needed to take it out, the second I've mentioned.

Anyway, got home yesterday to a letter to say the complaint had been upheld, and £3100 would be in my account within 28 days - and it already is!

I was so close to using a claims management company too, so I'm very very happy.
    • jenny_f
    • By jenny_f 3rd Sep 17, 3:01 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jenny_f
    My grandfather had PPI on a number of loans and I believe that he was mis-sold this. My grandfather has now passed away. Me and My mum have permission from my grandmother to try and reclaim this.

We wrote a letter to the bank about a year ago but haven't heard anything further. We have some of the statements with the account numbers and enclosed copies of these.

Is it worth trying the resolver tool?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 3rd Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 89,530 Posts
    • 54,981 Thanks
    dunstonh
    My grandfather had PPI on a number of loans and I believe that he was mis-sold this. My grandfather has now passed away. Me and My mum have permission from my grandmother to try and reclaim this.

We wrote a letter to the bank about a year ago but haven't heard anything further. We have some of the statements with the account numbers and enclosed copies of these.

Originally posted by jenny_f
    Why do you think your grandfather was missold? This is important as you cannot use all the reasons that somebody alive could use. e.g. you cannot make allegations of what he said or what he thought or believed. You have to keep it factual (things like eligibility).

The executor of the estate is allowed to make a complaint. Nobody else has the legal authority to do so.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 19,307 Posts
    • 9,417 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by jenny_f
    Why do you think this "tool" would result in success?

What you need to do is find out why your original letter of complaint was not responded to..

The executor of the estate is allowed to make a complaint. Nobody else has the legal authority to do so.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    This is key. I wonder was the original "complaint" ignored because it was not from the executor ?
    • lg1968!
    • By lg1968! 15th Sep 17, 1:18 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lg1968!
    Nationwide PPi claim refused and Ombudsman also rejected
    Very disappointed with Nationwide - ppi refusal. My husband was offered a Nationwide Credit Card when we applied for a mortgage with them. The application was pre-filled a week before he went in to sign and when he questioned why the ppi box was ticked he was told that it was compulsory if he wanted to be accepted for the credit card. He wasn't overly happy especially as he had other policies and means to cover if he was off sick or made redundant etc but back then he trusted what the bank manager told him. When the ppi mis-selling first hit the headlines he realised that his ppi had been mis-sold as it was not compulsory etc. We tried to claim and Nationwide not only rejected the claim but also sent him a rather abrupt and shitty letter. He then went to the Ombudsman who sided with Nationwide - for some reason they did not believe that the form had been pre completed etc. We decided to try and submit a new claim when Plevin was mentioned and applied via Resolver and received a letter from Nationwide today 'reminding' us that we applied previously and was rejected and how the Ombudsman also agreed. So whilst we are still peeved that he feels duped knowing that ppi wasn't actually compulsory to having a credit card he now also feels annoyed that I tried and failed to submit a new claim. Just to note that Nationwide are the only company who refused out ppi claims. Has anyone else had any problems and how could they not accepted it was mis-sold
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 7,353 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    -taff
    Nationwide are not the only company who refuse PPI complaints.
    They are not accepting it was missold because he can't show any of the conditions that missellin require, and if the ombudsman don't see it either, then the balance of probability lies in Nationwide not having missold it.

Sounds like your complaint restedon the form being pre-filled in and therefore compulsory.

Might have had a different outcome if you'd leftt hat bi out and shown you didn't want or need the PPI due to other benefits.
    • RedFinn
    • By RedFinn 15th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    RedFinn
    PPI Success - HSBC
    Just a quick one to say that on 14th July I used Resolver to raise a complaint with HSBC going back to 1998 (I am no longer a customer but was until November 2011, so they still had my details) I had no paperwork, no account numbers. I received a letter acknowledging my complaint about a week later which was followed up with a couple of phone calls, during which I stated that I was in full-time employment with 6 months paid sick leave and would have been eligible for substantial redundancy pay, also that the loans in question were taken out in branch and nobody advised that PPI would not have been suitable.

Anyway, wasn't expecting anything much to come of it but last Friday received a letter from HSBC upholding my complaint and offering me £8032.88 in F&F, my husband thought I'd had an accident as I shrieked upon seeing it!

So, all thanks to MSE for encouraging me to do it myself and Resolver!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 89,530 Posts
    • 54,981 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The application was pre-filled a week before he went in to sign and when he questioned why the ppi box was ticked he was told that it was compulsory if he wanted to be accepted for the credit card.
    Whilst that is a missale reason, it is one of the weakest complaint reasons in terms of likelihood of success due to lack of evidence. Every try-it-on/fraudulent complaint also uses that as a reason.

When the ppi mis-selling first hit the headlines he realised that his ppi had been mis-sold as it was not compulsory etc. We tried to claim and Nationwide not only rejected the claim but also sent him a rather abrupt and shitty letter.
    The Nationwide response letter will take the standard reply format as the complaints process is regulated and requires certain wording to be present in it.

He then went to the Ombudsman who sided with Nationwide - for some reason they did not believe that the form had been pre completed etc.
    What evidence did you have to support your allegation? If none, then its going to be rejected.

We decided to try and submit a new claim when Plevin was mentioned and applied via Resolver and received a letter from Nationwide today 'reminding' us that we applied previously and was rejected and how the Ombudsman also agreed.
    That is the correct response. You dont get multiple attempts.

So whilst we are still peeved that he feels duped knowing that ppi wasn't actually compulsory to having a credit card he now also feels annoyed that I tried and failed to submit a new claim.
    He shouldnt be annoyed the second attempt failed. You get one bite of the cherry.

Just to note that Nationwide are the only company who refused out ppi claims. Has anyone else had any problems and how could they not accepted it was mis-sold
    Nationwide complaint stats are broadly in line with the others. There is nothing to suggest they are doing anything different or wrong. The problem here is the weak complaint reason and lack of evidence.
    • lg1968!
    • By lg1968! 20th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lg1968!
    hi dunstonh, as evidence of the pre filled form we sent a copy of the original form showing where it was dated the week before and that it was different writing
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 89,530 Posts
    • 54,981 Thanks
    dunstonh
    hi dunstonh, as evidence of the pre filled form we sent a copy of the original form showing where it was dated the week before and that it was different writing
    Originally posted by lg1968!
    That doesnt mean anything. For example, in a phone call or meeting they discuss the PPI with you and you agree to have it. They say they will arrange the forms and you can sign them at the next meeting or via the post. They type on the computer your details and you are having PPI and the forms are printed with that all on there (or written on if an older case that is before computers). So, you have a pre-filled application. Quite normal and correct and no indication of any wrongdoing.

pre-ticked is an issue that only applies to internet cases.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 19,307 Posts
    • 9,417 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    as evidence of the pre filled form we sent a copy of the original form showing where it was dated the week before and that it was different writing
    Originally posted by lg1968!
    I'm afraid you've completely misunderstood.
    There is certainly mis-selling where an INTERNET application form has the option box to accept PPI pre-populated and the applicant has to untick the box in order to refuse the insurance. This has long been accepted as an unfair and misleading practice.

In your case you are complaining that someone filled in the form on your husband's behalf and that the date he signed the agreement is different to when it was filled out.

This is not mis-selling, it's just time-saving.

Your husband would still have had the clear option to refuse any insurance at the time he signed, so not unfair.

Unfortunately, your claim that he was told that the insurance was compulsory (which is a separate complaint) was not substantiated by the available evidence and the complaint was therefore rejected by the Bank and the Ombudsman.

You cannot go on making complaint after complaint about the same thing I'm afraid. Once rejected by the Ombudsman, the complaint is over no matter how aggrieved you continue to feel. Plevin is not a new opportunity to present your original case.

With regard to Plevin, you needed only to make a complaint that the commission charged was not made evident to your husband and was over 50%.
    However, even if you are successful, you will only receive a refund of any commission paid over the 50% threshold.

You will never receive a full refund of the PPI.

If the commission paid was less than 50%, you'll receive nothing at all..
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 20-09-2017 at 5:23 PM.
    • anthonyd923
    • By anthonyd923 24th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anthonyd923
    Just received an offer back from Santander for PPI on a loan from years ago.

The monthly premium for the PPI was £17.49/month on a loan of £6000 to be paid back over 8 years.
    The offer I've been given is £227.37, plus the interest, etc which pushes it up to £422.61

The loan was paid off years ago, but I did run into financial trouble and it ended up being paid back to Santander via a debt collection agency.

I've calculated that if the loan & PPI was completely paid off then 96 installments would be £1,679.04.
    Why would Santander's offer be so low? Would repayments made through a debt collection company not be considered?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 24th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    • 19,307 Posts
    • 9,417 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    J
    The offer I've been given is £422.61
    I've calculated that if the loan & PPI was completely paid off then 96 installments would be £1,679.04.
    Why would Santander's offer be so low?
    Originally posted by anthonyd923
    Sounds like the Bank may have off set monies (interest etc) which were written off as part of the Debt Management. The breakdown of the redress should show this, if not you can request a breakdown. Remember also that your PPI will have been cancelled when you defaulted, so perhaps you didn't pay it all to term.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin