Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dogwoody18
    • By Dogwoody18 22nd Aug 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dogwoody18
    Claiming Ppi
    • 22nd Aug 17, 3:37 PM
    Claiming Ppi 22nd Aug 17 at 3:37 PM
    Hi, can anyone tell me how you go about claiming back PPI from Bristol and West?
    Years ago I remortgaged through a broker and had to agree to having ppi to secure the mortgage.
    The Bank of Ireland took over all Bristol and west finances approx 2007 and just wondered where to start?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 22nd Aug 17, 3:56 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 5,236 Thanks
    societys child
    • 22nd Aug 17, 3:56 PM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 3:56 PM
    You'd start by complaining to the broker who sold you it.

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Aug 17, 4:52 PM
    • 89,560 Posts
    • 56,012 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 22nd Aug 17, 4:52 PM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 4:52 PM
    Hi, can anyone tell me how you go about claiming back PPI from Bristol and West?
    You don't. Bristol and West didnt sell you any PPI. So, you cannot go claiming back PPI from them.

Years ago I remortgaged through a broker and had to agree to having ppi to secure the mortgage.
    Brokers are allowed to insist on the purchase of insurance to provide free mortgage advice. The requirement is that the insurance should be suitable. Most MPPi is deemed suitable.

How many years ago? Most mortgage brokers only became regulated for insurance in January 2005. So, if the sale took place after that, you are free to make your complaint. If it took place before that, then it is a pre-regulation sale and the broker won't have to consider your complaint (you dont get access to the FOS either).

Why do you think you were missold? (this is important as the uphold rate on mortgage brokers is very small. PPI is not generally seen as a problem for advisers/brokers other than single premium MPPI).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,487Posts Today

8,206Users online

Martin's Twitter