Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2017 at 9:33AM
    Oooooh Watty, thanks for your thoughts on it, I think we are thinking on a similar line in having cameras but not an alarm. Sorry to hear about your break in, must have been pretty horrible for you x

We want to feel secure in the house but will an alarm do that- it may act as a slight deterrent to burglars but if they've decided to rob you I think they'll just either know people don't pay too much attention to house alarms or know how to deactivate.....

The girlfriend stays away with work one night most weeks and she wants to feel that I am safe here on my own, and I'm quite conscious that being two females burglars may see us as an easier target (not that we are, just stereotyping!)

Will continue to research until we find what we are comfortable with :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Morning KK,

I have a CCTV system both at home and at work. Definitely worth having, the only thing is you won't get a notification that something is up you will simply have to check......however my next "gadget" will be samsung smart things, it makes your home "smart" but also is an alarm system which can notify your mobile if a sensor is set off and from there you can then check your CCTV system to see what is going on.

Mortgage free - 01/05/2019, mortgage high £200k 2011
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 19 January 2017 at 11:06PM
    Thanks Lincoln-Potter, will have a look at the Samsung smart system too :) I get £110 John Lewis vouchers a month from work so ideally want to put that towards the system we do get and as that's branded it'll prob be available from there.

In OP news we had surprise TSB cashback of £5 today (think for contactless shopping!) so that's been swept across to mortgage :)

Lunch today was put on by clients which was fab, treated myself to a butterscotch latte at Starbucks today on way- was delicious & naughty! Using Starbucks card so pre paid which makes it a little less guilt ridden :D

Wfh tomorrow and silver room floor being laid- yay!!!
    Think I may make soup using veggies getting a bit bendy (if I have time) if not it's a tin of tomato soup with part bake rolls from stores.
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Mortgage payment of £810.20 went out today. I've sent a little extra to it (£9.80) from the joint bills account whereas I was wanting to send £89.80 to push it to £900 but conscious the gf is tightening her belt and don't want to be making things trickier for her.

Working from home today and waiting for the floor fitter to arrive to lay the silversmith room floor! Hoping to get my workbench tomorrow and pop that in the room so it starts to feel like an actual room :)

Friends over tomorrow night- two have gluten intolerances and one can't have any dairy, onion or garlic so we're making roast lamb & trimmings (gluten free gravy!) so the lamb is out of the freezer (bought some time ago on YS so £8.85 instead of £18.60) :D yum yum!

Friday night in tonight which I'm very much looking forward to- thinking over what to make for supper tonight so we can just chill a bit as seems like I've barely seen gf this week.
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 20 January 2017 at 5:59PM
    Coffee break time :coffee:

Reading through the debt free wannabe pages and realised I'm doing lots of things that I'm not keeping track of so as a reminder to myself these are some of my things I am doing to keep spends low:

1- using up old toiletries & perfumes: two old perfumes, three shower gel miniatures (hotel stay ones) and two small hotel bars of soap (instead of shower gel) used up this month.

2- using up things that have been lurking in the kitchen- rice flakes for porridge most days which I bought theee years ago but never tried!! (one portion left) adding dried fruit bought for various baking days and hanging around (ground almonds sprinkled on porridge is pretty nice), also things like mini jams/marmites from hotels and have used up the hugggge bag of coffee sachets we had collected. Working on drinking all the free green tea from our gym and the herbal teas from hotels- this may take a while as I don't really like green tea so having one a night for warming me up.

3- working through wardrobe and understanding if I actually like things or am keeping as they are practical. If they are practical e.g. Ugly but warm I am now making sure I wear these on working from home days....otherwise it will go in the eBay/charity pile to decluttering the space & my mind.

4- free postcode lottery, regular checks on survey sites, cashback via quidco

5-meal planning: not always easy as gf a little resistant to this but we are finding a happy medium.

6- wfh days wearing snuggle socks & slippers with extra layers to keep warm and reduce heating needs (without freezing though)

7- squeegee-img the shower after use to reduce the time the fan needs to be on, or doing this and opening the window if we are home

Probably quite a few more things but can't remember them all....one thing I used to do was when wfh or home at weekends I would boil the kettle once and any left would go into my thermos to save on repeatedly boiling the kettle (I must drink 8 cups a day) so need to find a thermos or use my insulated cups to do the same until we have the hot water tap installed! :money:

Checked my online gas & elec statement- they've finally started using my meter reads on my bills- hurrah! This means that we're £125 in credit being billed to firm reads of 31/12 :D
    We are paying £70 a month which is far too much, however hoping they'll reassess this and change the DD- it's meant to go into deficit in the winter not massively in credit. Oh well, as soon as those funds come down the money from a refund (or lower monthly payment) can be swept to the mortgage as OP :D
  • Kittenkirst
    Evening, food today has all been from stores
    Brekkie- crumpets from freezer
    Lunch- Columbian eggs (onion, tinned tomatoes & red jalapeños reduced down with two eggs cracked in) served with a toasted wrap & guac/sour cream using up leftovers from weekend still
    Dinner we made nasi goreng usig a spice mix we got From Borough Market, chicken breast from freezer & bendy courgette/peppers with frozen peas & sweetcorn....was delicious and felt like a Friday night treat!

Just watching Alice through the looking glass and chilling :D
  • I dip in and out of meal planning, I like it helps with the food costs, but sometimes you just don't fancy what you'd written down two weeks ago! Have a great weekend!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Kittenkirst
    Hi DFOD that's how my gf is with it, I could manage with doing it but she struggles with knowing exactly what she'll want in a weeks time.

We've been doing a bit of a different tack with planning the shop based on super 6/special offers on veg and having a handful of dishes we'll cook, but each day we decide what it is we fancy. It's still helping with food budget though as we spent only £4 last week.
    This week will be higher as running out of things, also gf is away for Burns Night (in Glasgow- I'm very jealous!) so will treat myself to haggis supper :D

I've woken again with a really painful back, it's been recurring pretty much since we got new mattress so think it's related :( Will look at sourcing a new (pain free) one. Luckily the pain is pretty excruciating for up to an hour after walking but then it's back to normal so it doesn't hamper my daily activity too much. It has stopped the planned gym sesh this morning tho!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 21 January 2017 at 6:48PM
    Ooooh forgot to say, gf came home with a beautiful Fortnum & mason basket as a Christmas gift from work! How lovvvvely :)

Coincidentally she bought me a F&M wicker picnic basket hamper as my Christmas present as she saw how much I looked at hampers and buy them for others as I think they are lovely! So we now have lots of posh tea canisters, jams, lemon curd, marmalade, biscuits, mini champagne, truffles, red wine etc :j feeling very spoiled!

Friends over for dinner tonight: roasted leg of lamb, roast spuds and veggies are on the menu :) yum yum yum
  • Kittenkirst
    Morning all!
    Fab Saturday yesterday: started off with crumpets for brekkie with the delicious Fortnum & Mason jam :heartpuls:

Chilled day watching the end of Scandal with the lady and then prepping for two couples coming for dinner. Roast lamb went seamlessly, but I would do bigger portion of meat next time (not cooked lamb in years!). One couple bought gorgeous cupcakes round for dessert from a wonderful shop nearby so a total treat! Had a fab evening playing Game of Thrones monopoly and it got very competitive especially into the wee smal hours! :D

Used up spuds, carrots and parsnips that have been lurking for ages, and gf chopped the remaining leftover wraps and baked them sprinkling with chilli, salt and garlic to make crisps with the last of the leftover sour cream too! Genius one that beautiful lady is :)

Spent £10.28 in Lidl yesterday for essentials taking our weekly grocery to £14.28 out of £40. slowly recouping the money from the housewarming bar we paid for!

Sat in bed this morning thinking how lucky we are that we have such lovely friends & family and have a place to call our own to entertain in. we then had to get up and start clearing the bomb site kitchen- all slick & span now with dishwasher running (eco) and washing on. Just the kitchen floor tiles to be hovered (swept already but hooovering seems to do the best job!) and then a good mopping :D

Off to gf's mum & dads for Sunday lunch around 12 today, then I've got an early start in Manchester tomorrow for an all day workshop....will make lunch and breakfast tonight in prep, and pack coffee too to minimize spends at work canteen. I have the funds on the Starbucks card to have a Starbucks on way but will try and avoid it this time as it becomes les of a treat if I have it too regularlly (& costly!)

Woke up this morning to two items confirming on Quidco- only £5.21 in total but withdrawal is requested and will be overpaid shortly.
    Yougov has slowed a bit this month but up to £15 on it now, only another £35 to go until pay out....slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Small tilly tidy of 72p this morning (change from swiping for the Lidl shop) bringing us up for to £31.32/ so far in 2017.
    I'm itching to transfer more across but trying to remember that savings for our emergency fund is just as important!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback