ARVATO chasing me for a paid debt

Options
Hello all

need some help here please. ARVATO debt collections are continuing to harass me for a debt that i once had with N power. the debt with N power was paid in full 2 months ago yet i am still getting letters from arvato saying i must pay them.

the account is closed with npower. do i need to respond to arvato and tell them to go away? or do i ignore them as the debt should never have been passed to them as the account was paid in full and accepted by npower

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ctothejc wrote: »
    Hello all

need some help here please. ARVATO debt collections are continuing to harass me for a debt that i once had with N power. the debt with N power was paid in full 2 months ago yet i am still getting letters from arvato saying i must pay them.

the account is closed with npower. do i need to respond to arvato and tell them to go away? or do i ignore them as the debt should never have been passed to them as the account was paid in full and accepted by npower

You don't absolutely need to respond to ARVATO but I suggest you do, as that should stop them from contacting you again.

I suggest you also complain to npower and demand an assurance that you will not be contacted again by them or their debt collectors about this settled debt.
  • ctothejc
    Options
    thank you very much for the valuable info, lets hope they stop after i tell them that there is no longer a debt.

npower.... contacting them is pointless, they have the worst customer service i have ever dealt with.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ctothejc wrote: »
    npower.... contacting them is pointless, they have the worst customer service i have ever dealt with.

I know about npower and agree that their service can be atrocious. There is a separate board on this forum about energy companies and I had many posts on there about them.

I ended up with about £250 compensation from them (and some from the energy ombudsman) for terrible service on a matter that went on for well over a year. They even offered me another £100 compensation later, which I think was just another mistake on their part. (I did not accept it in case it reopened the matter.)

My suggestion is complain - ask for a copy of their complaints procedure and follow that to the energy ombudsman if necessary. Ask for [£25] compensation per complaint if they don't sort the matter out after your initial complaint and [£50 or more] if you need to take the matter to the energy ombudsman.
  • ctothejc
    Options
    i already got a compensation claim form them through the ombudsman. i agreed a payment plan and was up to date. they suddenly stopped the payment plan and referred the account to arvato. at that point i gave up and paid in full and npower accepted that and closed the account. but i guess they haven't told arvato to stop the collection. i will write to them today and hope this mess will stop
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The important thing to stress to them is that
    • The debt has been repaid.
    • You do not owe any money.
    • They must refer the matter back to NPower.
    That's it. You don't need to enter into any further discussions.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure