Discussion ... ASHP(Air/Air) with Solar pv ....

Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also, make sure you get any electrical work needed included in the price.
    I've decided to update my ASHP as mine sounds like an express train running through the house whilst it's on. I've plumped for the Toshiba. I've been told it needs an outside power feed so i'll have to drill the wall and wire it to an internal socket, the guy says it only pulls 10A so is perfectly safe to do so.
    How have you wired yours....the same way? New ring or something completely different?
    Interested to know if you've been advised differently.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    tunnel wrote: »
    I've decided to update my ASHP as mine sounds like an express train running through the house whilst it's on. I've plumped for the Toshiba. I've been told it needs an outside power feed so i'll have to drill the wall and wire it to an internal socket, the guy says it only pulls 10A so is perfectly safe to do so.
    How have you wired yours....the same way? New ring or something completely different?

Ours is connected via a fused spur on the lounge ring main. We live in a bungalow and the ring main wiring goes above the ceiling and drops down to the sockets (and the fused spur).

There is no need for an outside power feed as the Toshiba unit can take the power on the inside unit and pass it through the control cable to the outside unit.

I'll have a look for the connection diagram that shows how the power can be connected to either the inside or outside unit.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Mine came with a plug, and just plugged into a socket in the pantry which the plumbing goes via (from outside wall - pantry - conservatory wall).
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    Cheers guys
    I was a little sceptical at first when the installer started talking electrics and part P but he assures me it's perfectly safe using a plug.
    My current(express train) system is mounted on the wall and the power cable dangles down the wall to a socket just above the floor. Now looking forward to "tidying" it up somewhat with the power cable through the wall to its own designated socket(sad I know but.....)
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Ours is connected via a fused spur on the lounge ring main. We live in a bungalow and the ring main wiring goes above the ceiling and drops down to the sockets (and the fused spur).

There is no need for an outside power feed as the Toshiba unit can take the power on the inside unit and pass it through the control cable to the outside unit.

I'll have a look for the connection diagram that shows how the power can be connected to either the inside or outside unit.

Found the connection diagram in the Toshiba Installation Manual. It recommends that power should be connected to the inside unit; connection via the outside unit is optional.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2017 at 11:52PM
    Cheers guys
    I was a little sceptical at first when the installer started talking electrics and part P but he assures me it's perfectly safe using a plug.
    My current(express train) system is mounted on the wall and the power cable dangles down the wall to a socket just above the floor. Now looking forward to "tidying" it up somewhat with the power cable through the wall to its own designated socket(sad I know but.....)
    Hi tunnel

Our unit takes power from a fused spur (/breaker) off the ring main almost directly behind the outdoor unit, although it's possible to wire and provide power to either unit.

We opted to take the power to the outside unit for the very reason you've highlighted ... powering the indoor unit would involve either channelling & redecorating or surface mounting the power lead in trunking, whilst taking power through the wall shows nothing internally.

There are details on the internal/external wiring options in the Daiseikai manual if you need to see them, but essentially To5hiba provide alternative screw terminal points to support particular site requirements.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Man I lucked out this year. I'd like to say it was foresight, but after 3 years of dithering, no-one would believe me, so I'll just admit I lucked out.

Upstairs 26C, weather station in the garden has finally dropped below 30C, living room has been 22C all day, and that's where I've been most of the day.

And all PV powered :cool2::snow_laug:snow_laug:cool:
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Man I lucked out this year. I'd like to say it was foresight, but after 3 years of dithering, no-one would believe me, so I'll just admit I lucked out.

Upstairs 26C, weather station in the garden has finally dropped below 30C, living room has been 22C all day, and that's where I've been most of the day.

And all PV powered :cool2::snow_laug:snow_laug:cool:
    Hi

Same here, had our running at 22C for a few hours and most of the time we were still exporting ~90% of generation.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • tunnel
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    zeupater wrote: »
    Same here, had our running at 22C for a few hours and most of the time we were still exporting ~90% of generation.
    I've had the old "express train" running all day except mines in the bedroom and it cools all the upstairs as we're able to close the upstairs to the downstairs(advantages of not being open plan)......I'll leave it running all night and burn some of my hard earned FiT..........Now....if only I had batteries5146.gif
  • ASavvyBuyer
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

HTH
    Z

Same here, running at 22C for the last two days (during the day) and still exporting loads as it hardly uses any power when cooling :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback