PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Comments

• You could cut some into circles and make an indentation in the middle and put various things such as goat's cheese and sundried tomatoes or roasted peppers and pesto and then bake in the oven.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Any suggestions for using up Puff Pastry?

I have 2 x 500g frozen puff pastry blocks. I'll be honest, I lack confidence around pastry of any description which is why I have avoided using them before now.

Any simple 'any idiot can do this' suggestions, either sweet or savoury, would be much appreciated.

Sausage plaits
    Cheese straws
    Roasted veg slices
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    roll it out to a rectangle about 15" x 12" like for a Swiss roll, spread a generous amount of butter over it leaving a 1" edge on one of the shorter sides so you can damp it down and seal the pastry. Mix 4oz of brown sugar with 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 3oz of chopped pecan nuts and sprinkle this over the butter giving it a little press down with a light hand to set it and then roll up from the short side you haven't left the 1" margin on, damp the 1" with water and roll the roll over it to seal it well.Cut into 12 even sized pieces and lay them cut side up on a lined baking tray (use parchment/greaseproof paper) then pop into a 190/200 deg C pre heated oven 170/180 deg C fan oven and cook for 25/30 minutes (check after 20 in case your oven runs hot) and you will have almost Danish pastry cinnamon and pecan whirls. Enjoy!!!
    You could cut some into circles and make an indentation in the middle and put various things such as goat's cheese and sundried tomatoes or roasted peppers and pesto and then bake in the oven.
    Sausage plaits
    Cheese straws
    Roasted veg slices

Thank you guys :)
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I bought a packet of these thinking I could make my own black bean sauce, but no. :( Apparently you need fermented black beans for this. So if anyone has any recipes for using them (other than in stews or casseroles), I'd be pleased to hear from you. Quite like spicy dishes and if I could bulk cook and freeze that would be great.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Cuban Black Beans with rice is delicious and Black Bean Soup is a Mexican dish, many recipes for both online. When you soak the beans it helps soften the skins if you put a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in the soaking water and I'd soak and cook the whole pack because you can freeze the extra beans you're not going to use straight off in meal sized portions and they keep very well until you DO want to use them.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    YorksLass wrote: »
    I bought a packet of these thinking I could make my own black bean sauce, but no. :( Apparently you need fermented black beans for this. So if anyone has any recipes for using them (other than in stews or casseroles), I'd be pleased to hear from you. Quite like spicy dishes and if I could bulk cook and freeze that would be great.
    The cooked beans make a great burger - mash roughly add finely chopped sweet peppers, spring onion, garlic, a handful of breadcrumbs, a handful of frozen corn, diced chilli or a tsp of chilli powder, a tsp of lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well, shape into patties- best fried rather than baked/grilled. Serve in a roll with lettuce, salsa or spicy mayo, a slice of melted cheese is also good:)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I"ve got a mahoosive bag of frozen green beans.Any ideas peeps ? :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    candygirl wrote: »

Green Bean Curry?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    candygirl wrote: »
    Use instead of frozen peas to soothe the bruise next time Bonnie gives you a "Staffie kiss"? :D
    I'll get my coat.......
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks Mrs LW and caronc, those suggestions sound perfect and I’ll definitely be giving them a try. :T
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport