Vegan Shopping Best Buys

I've been vegan for 5 months now - and its not always easy to buy cheaply when you're buying mock meats and other dairy/egg substitutes. I tend to do my shopping at Aldi, and my top up shops at Tesco or Sainsbury's.

Please use this thread to post any offers you find of food that is suitable for vegans - lets all save some money together! :beer:
Biggest Comp Wins: Tour of Vietnam 2015 | Baby Rawr_ was born 16/03/20!

Comments

• rawr_
    rawr_ Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Sainsbury's now has a small range of Follow Your Heart products - bought some Veganaise yesterday - which I find has been the best substitute for mayo - £2.50. I'm hoping it stays that price, as the wholefood shop an hour away from us sells it for nearly £4!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I’d be interested in hearing about any offers for vegan versions of Worcestershire sauce.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • rawr_
    I’d be interested in hearing about any offers for vegan versions of Worcestershire sauce.

Looks like they do a vegan Worcester sauce in Holland & Barrett - may be worth keeping an eye out for when they do their penny sales / half price sales. It doesn't look like its currently on offer unfortunately!
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Look for Henderson's Relish.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nuatha wrote: »
    I was going to say the exact same thing.

http://hendersonsrelish.com/
  • rawr_

Ahh wow, I've not heard of that! Thanks :)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    rawr_ wrote: »
    Ahh wow, I've not heard of that! Thanks :)

It's Sheffield's finest - it's fab stuff and I highly recommend it.
    Save
  • CuddlesTC
    CuddlesTC Posts: 148 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Haven't tried Henderson's, but will look out for it. I like mushroom ketchup for adding extra depth to gravy etc:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251225471
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2017 at 8:17PM
    I have a recipe for vegan Worcester sauce, however the ingredient list starts with four litres of water.

In terms of cheap vegan foods, certain mock meats can be expensive, but if you take advantage of Asda's two for £2.50 offer on burgers, then that's pretty cheap. Particularly if you buy the box of eight burgers, which comes to £1.25 for the offer. I quite like their 'popcorn chicken'. They are a bit odd, but I like them. I also like the Asda quarter pounder burgers, but they aren't cheap. Though, they're substantial.

Both Aldi and Lidl do 'vegetable burgers' and 'bean burgers' for a reasonable price for four. The Lidl ones are actually marked vegan, but the ingredients list on the Aldi ones look fine to me.

Iceland sell Linda McCartney sausages fairly cheaply. Lidl used to be best for that, but they've now put them up to £1.49 a packet. Iceland were £1.25 a packet, I think.

I found quite a few useful things at a huge Morrisons last time I went. I can't remember what they were and what they cost.

Tescos seems to like coming up 'different' things. I tried their peanut and avocado bakes, but ... not really. A lot of Tescos products seem to be like that; not all that wonderful.

If you want cheap vegan food, you're probably better off cooking from scratch using beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc. in place of mock meats. Frozen goods are very convenient, however.

Tescos are good for dairy substitutes, including yogurt (I like their plain, and add stewed fruit myself), cheese (limited flavours, but 'cheddar' is good), their mini blueberry cheesecakes, etc.

The cheapest vegan ice-cream I know of is Swedish Glace, which I think is the most normal vegan ice-cream. Though, it certainly isn't cheap compared to dairy ice-cream. Aldi have some coconut based non-dairy ice cream at the moment, but I think it's not that nice. I think that others agree as it's sat there for ages without selling.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I like the southern gravy from B&M, a quid and makes chips delicious :)

Aldi do some nice vegan burgers too!

I have given up on vegan cheese - all overpriced and tastes awful :-)
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport