I've quit everything. Now what ?

Options

Comments

• ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One journey ends and another exciting one begins!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Good Luck AC in your New Home. I followed your last thread but I have never posted before.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• another_casualty
    Options
    Wow! Thanks a lot . So many people already :)
    Have stuff to add later :)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am following too (not stalking - honest!).

Lovely sunny day here today. Craft club this morning then a bit of gardening then.......who knows.

Hope the painting goes well.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    AC, what next indeed!

Found this on google, may be worth a quick call or text especially regarding the mirror film near the bottom of the page:

https://sites.google.com/site/windowtintingpoole/

Failing that half nets will be just as effective in the daytime, and I'm sure one of the ladies on here can advise you what/where to buy and how to fit them. Shutters may look nice but are going to be very costly and hard to fit as an add-on to your existing windows, and only do the same thing as nets/film.

Otherwise, just to say good luck, and remember your a moneysaver, don't get carried away buying/replacing things you don't need to do.

So, do you really need a new kitchen or can the existing one just be cleaned thoroughly then refurbed with new doors/new fridge freezer/new sink top, but keeping the existing cabinets and worktops, then paint and maybe a new multi led light fitting to brighten it up.

Do you really need new carpets, or will a couple of decent new large rugs from a BHF shop do the trick.

The shower room, well again decide what you need, keep it simple and get some quotes from local and national replacement companies asap, as if you're going down the replacement route, this is probably the one "big ticket" item that really does need sorting before you move in.

The key to all this is to plan each room to scale, plot where your gear is going (again to scale), then make a list for each room firstly of what you need, adding what you'd like, and finally costs for all the options. I can't stress how important planning is to avoid unnecessary expense and waste, especially in the smallish rooms you have.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've subscribed and can't wait to carry on reading your adventures AC. Hope the painting goes well.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Following....good luck AC - looking forward to all the updates
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

Okay, might as well tell you the score at the moment .

My friend, who I can now say lives up the road, is a designer.

On sat , we did measurements of basically the whole flat .
    This was done before we had 4 pints of cider .

I think venitiian blinds are the way to go for the whole flat .
    I may also get those blinds that you can push up / down which will sort out the problem for Good .

We thought it best to keep the layout the same .

The Pilates machine is going . No room for that .

The bathroom is totally manky . Grubby, morbid and depressing. Filthy also. Apart from that it is fine .
    New bathroom . Final answer.

Kitchen : sink grubby . Worktop grubby . Flooring grubby. Tiling ' inoffensive ' as my friend said .
    I saw a place online , that does replacement kitchen doors. They do replacement worktops also. Probably do new sink / taps as well.
    They would have the job done in a couple of days , as I won't be getting a new kitchen . I will,get new flooring . Tiles ??
    The fridge freezer , is a fitted one . Germ ridden and manky . It's going .

Measurements have been made for what size wardrobes, cupboards I need . TBH , I think a fitted wardrobe may be the way to go in the main bedroom .
    For the smaller gas room , I may opt for a cupboard that opens into a computer area . This would be where I would be playing bass and recording onto SoundCloud . Perhaps a sofa bed as well.

Carpet ? A question for you on here : lots of you know how bad I Let the carpets go,in my last property.
    The carpet looks good tbh . Could do with a shampoo after the previous tenants . What I thought of, may be daft. I thought of getting new carpet and using the present carpet as underlay.
    Then, in a few years down the line when that gets manky, rip it out and the carpet i already have will be like new anyway. Your thoughts?

So, onto this morning : Rough night again etc .
    I had to get up early though as i had the locksmith coming at 8.30 this morning . I bought a mortice lock and a new barrel for my internal front door.
    I forgot screwdriver and cheekily asked him if he could fit barrel in as well. Nice man obliged.

I noticed a truck pull-up outside on the main road, that collects large items for recycling . I mentioned the fridge freezer. They couldn't take it but I was given a number to ring.

It's a bit busy over in my new place at the moment . There are a couple of polish painters painting the internal communal hallway.
    Speaking of painting , I start tomorrow .
    Was gonna do it today but, I had to do the following:
    Phone up the arrogant /useless chemist . There are not 28 days in a month. I need my prednisolone for this Friday , not next Monday .
    They had my medication split in 2. I told them it has been agreed that i should have 2 months supply. It hasn't been noted, until I told them .
    Had to phone up poole council..council tax . Gotta pay for 2 properties now:(

Phoned up edf : I'm back with them . There is currently a payg meter
    That will be changed.to,normal . The system isn't working properly , so I have a direct debit going out for electricity . Eventually, it'll be one payment .

It's now the afternoon .

I'll leave the painting till tomorrow. What with a child's bicycle in the hallway and a couple of painters . I'll,start early .
    Will be getting up early from now on , as I have tasks ahead of me.:)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like you have some diy to do AC. Getting up early and doing a few hours at least every day is the way to go or before you know it it will be end of a May and it won't be ready for you to move in. No procrastinating.

I would get a few quotes from recommended plumbers for the bathroom and totally agree that replacement doors and worktop is a cheaper makeover than ripping kitchen out and starting again. Even more so if you not changing the layout.

Personally I would just get someone in to clean carpets after decorating done if they not too bad, if they need replacement proper underlay is not expensive and would make new carpet lay much better. I don't think any carpet fitter would want to lay new on old carpet and I can't see advantage to it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just a thought AC, you say it is grubby and many. Does the kitchen and bathroom really need replacing or would a jolly good clean do the job?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure