Squirrelgirls MF quest

I am venturing into the MF Wannabe world!! :D

I have recently come to the end of my mortgage deal and have got a new one which runs to the 31st March 2019. My plan is to clear my mortgage on 1st April 2019 ;)

I have an offset mortgage, so I can spend between now and then either paying off the capital or putting the extras into the offset savings - knowing me, it will probably be a combo of both as I really like seeing the figure I owe drop (it's a psychological thing!! :o :rotfl:) until I get close to the end, then it will have to go into the savings so that I don't accidently pay it of too soon and end up with early repayment charges ;)

My mortgage is actually due to finish in 2024 - and although I have paid a considerable sum off over the past 5 years or so, I haven't made any op's for about 2 years as I took a break from work. I have several things that I need to sort financially between now and the end of November, so my bigger op's won't start till then, but I am going to make every effort to put at least £50 extra per month towards it until then. :D

My ability to save money on food and household products is limited as I don't use supermarkets and buy everything as ethically as possible - this means that I am going to have to be creative and stretch what I have as far as possible ;) I do have a massive stockpile of dried goods and a freezer full of stuff so I am going to be able to minimise my spends over the next month or so.

I will go over my 'bills' budget too and see where I can make savings - I currently overestimate everything bill wise and can probably reduce the amount we put in by at least £10 - once I have checked out what is in there, I will tilly-tidy the surplus and make a start! :rotfl:

I am reasonably confident that I will be getting a very small pay rise in April and hopeful that dh will too, so am intending to put that towards the mortgage - we have a persie amount each which is adequate for now so I'm happy to utilise any increases we have for op's.

Right, off to check out the bill account and see what I can do! ;):D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 March 2017 at 5:28PM
    Checked the account - first £10 op made!! :j

I've added my mortgage to my sig - it's actually the full figure (including interest) that I will need to pay before 1st April 2019 ;)
  • AsgardFI
    AsgardFI Posts: 7 Forumite
    You sound very motivated in your MFW quest, I am sure if you keep up that attitude, you will have no problem. :)
    Pursuing Financial Independence each and every day... :)

[STRIKE]Debt/Mortgage Free - 2014[/STRIKE] :j // [STRIKE]Side Hussle - 2014[/STRIKE] :j // [STRIKE]50% + Savings rate - 2015[/STRIKE] :j // [STRIKE]Bare bones FI - 2017 Jan[/STRIKE] :j // Current spending FI - Prediction 2022 // Target spending FI - Prediction 2025
  • Thanks AsgardFI :D

Its not going to be easy due to my lifestyle but I am totally determined to do it! ;)
  • Well done on your first OP, it can get addictive!
  • Hi squirrelgirl :)

Nice mortgage balance, and nice target - that's just under 1k a month to aim for. I will be cheering you on :)

Since it's a relatively short term target for you to become mortgage free, any thoughts as to what comes next? :D
  • Thanks ETE :D I'm gong to check my balances again today to see if I can put in anything further so I think you're right!! :rotfl:

SSS, I think that I will travel more and I also want to be able to do work on the house and finally live in a more 'grown-up' environment! ;)

Once the mortgage has gone, I'll set up travel and house funds.

We have had responsibilities for dogs and kids for decades; dogs are now gone and children grown. I will be able to travel whenever it suits me (I'm thinking last minute deals ;) ) and have things around me that are chosen on how I feel about them rather than whether I can fit the dogs on them/will it withstand the kids!! :rotfl:

We have a 'bucket list' of places we want to visit and things we want to see, so they will be my destinations of choice :D Some places are close enough for a weekend break, others are going to be a three-week adventure....

We also know what we want for the house - it really needs a bit of an overhaul :(:o
    I need to sort the roof; I want to replace the ceilings; get the walls re-plastered; get a new bathroom; replace the boiler/heating system; re-carpet and re-decorate throughout and replace many household items such as beds, wardrobes etc. We haven't replaced any furniture in about ten years and the quality of the stuff we have has always been dependent on what we could afford at the time - when I move things, they will probably collapse and die, so it makes sense to factor them into the things that we need!! ;):rotfl:

I must admit that I am becoming more excited about becoming MF :D its going to be hard over the next couple of months as I have other things that I need to do before I can really throw everything at it....November will be my first substantial payment but I am definitely going to achieve this though so I am going to do whatever I can to get it sorted.

I am going to pay a minimum of £50 a month off the capital and if I can manage anymore than that before November, I will put that in the offset account so that we have access to it but it reduces the interest.

I want the point that the capital and offset are the same figure to get here asap ;)
  • I am similar in that I want to get to the position where my offset savings balance equals the mortgage outstanding. I have a lot further to go than your good self but hoping to keep the motivation going without having to resort to beans and toast every night :)
    Outstanding mortgage Dec 2016 £214,500
    Current mortgage outstanding May 2017 £211,244 June 2017 £210,446
    Offset savings June 2017 £57,354 Balance outstanding May 2017 £154,490 June 2017 £153,091
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:45PM
    Looked at the budgets - made a £30 op :j (ETA - just added another £10 from my 'persie' account so that's my march - £50 first month target reached :D )

I'm off next week so intend to do some batch cooking and menu planning ;) hopefully, not too many beans on toast days (although I love them now and again!;))
  • Very good luck to you from another squirrel !
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • hi secret :wave: thanks for dropping by :D
    I am hopefully going to get the greenhouse sorted today - it's pretty windy though and I need to replace the glass that we lost so I may have to see how it goes :eek: I will have to re-pot my seedlings though, regardless of what happens weather-wise... a few purple sprouting broccoli, a couple of cauliflower, a Brussel sprouts, an aubergine and a few tomato plants have all done well so they need to be potted on :D I will also start the leaves, the red basil and the oregano today - it will end up saving me a fortune on herbs and salad ;)

I have cancelled one of my charity donations today - it was one that I agreed to do for a couple of months and I have done 6 months of it now so I don't feel too bad about it; ultimately, reducing my mortgage is more important to me at the moment (particularly as I have discovered that the chief exec of this charity is on a six figure salary!! :mad: I know that they have to get the best people for the job, but it seems excessive to me....)

I'm looking forward to the week ahead - mainly because I get to spend most of the week with my new grandbaby and I get paid this week so will clear my cc again :D I put half of the car costs onto the card and paid the other half cash last month - I don't like having a balance on my cc now though :rotfl:

I'm going to check out the spare room and see what needs doing to my wine while I am there - it will save me a fortune in the summer if I have them bottled and ready to go :beer: I also have a mountain of books that I need to get rid of...does anyone know any decent companies that will buy them from me? I know I won't get much but every penny counts on my mission!! ;)

I have got a duck out of the freezer for the boys (although I am vegan, the rest of the household is not so I still have corpse in the freezer to get rid of) which should feed them for the next few days along with some of the super 6 stuff I bought at A*di yesterday - oranges, purple sprouting broccoli, kale and some spring onions. I also got some potatoes so will do some mash with it....tomorrow they can have Chinese pancakes and the most of the remaining duck and then I will put the rest in sushi on Tuesday. I'll have the veg in a warm salad tonight with some quinoa and puy lentils, some hoisin jackfruit and Chinese pancakes tomorrow and avocado sushi for Tuesday. I will have to buy the avocado but other than that, it's all from the store cupboard/fridge :D

It's all about saving the pennies ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport