Fleas

2»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    He can be picking up new fleas every time he goes out.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    melbury wrote: »
    . I look on him as a flea killing machine on legs now:D

He is, thats how it works.

Many people when cats get fleas think the answer is to keep the cat outside for as long as possible until the fleas go, its not, its the other way round, you need to keep the treated animal in the house as much as possible.
  • dogcat_2
    dogcat_2 Posts: 21,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had terrible problems with fleas on my two rescue mioritic shepherds. I tried everything. Advantage, frontline, Johnson’s......tried garlic capsules, salt, vinegar...you name it. We had fleas everywhere. I was at my wits end.

In the end I took them to the vets.....they were given a huge chewable tablet each....and spray for the whole house. Wow what a difference! Why didn’t I do that in the first place! .
  • Soph1988
    Soph1988 Posts: 71 Forumite
    My vet is insistent that the ONLY thing that works anymore is Advocate.
  • dogcat_2
    dogcat_2 Posts: 21,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Soph1988 wrote: »

My vet told me off the shelf stuff doesn’t work.....I tend to agree with her.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    dogcat wrote: »
    My vet told me off the shelf stuff doesn’t work.....I tend to agree with her.

Certainly seems to be the case here, especially if the dog is allergic to fleas as one of ours is. He needed two chewable tabs from the vet vs one for the other dog.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dogcat wrote: »

In the end I took them to the vets.....they were given a huge chewable tablet each....and spray for the whole house. Wow what a difference! Why didn’t I do that in the first place! .

I had the tablet for 2 of my cats, they really do work, much better than any drops, but one of them is a biatch cat from hell when you try to catch her, so this time the vet gave me Bravecto, it's drops that last 3 months, not cheap and only available on prescription, but my vet are doing buy 3 get 4th one free, Works wonders.

I use advantage on the other 3 cats who don't have skin/fur problems, works just fine, but I do use Acclaim spray all over the house regularly.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you can get all pets out of the house for the day you could flea bomb the house.

These are very effective and cheaper than multiple cans of spray.

I routinely go into empty properties where former tenants have left fleas behind. I get eaten alive (often 50-60) bites head to toe.

This obviously means I run a huge risk of taking the odd one home. Prior to getting our dog we bombed the house with flea stuff. Haven't yet needed to since getting the dog as no evidence of any in the house.

Just 1 and I'm on it. It's the 1 thing I cannot cope with.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Soph1988 wrote: »

I read somewhere that Advantage is exactly the same as Advocate, but it just does not include the worming part.

All I can say is that a few treatments of Advantage have certainly done the trick for our dog - no sign of any fleas for ages:)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• If they're really bad on our cats (and they get all sorts on them from hunting wild animals in the fields) I give them a bath with washing up liquid (none on the head), give it a good rinse off and then give them a diluted vinegar final rinse (a natural flea repellent) and then while still wet I give them a thorough flea comb and get all of them out. Last time I did it with one of cats she had about 40 fleas floating in the water by the time I finished! Should also do the job with a dog!

Follow it up with a spot on, wash bedding and any clothes they've touched and if really bad use a flea floor spray on the floor and mattresses!

I hate fleas, but my cat is worst for ticks on her ears in the summer so we moved to that one with flea/tick treatment. Found that one much better, in the long blue tubes (think its frontline).
    Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015 :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport