Mortgage Broker FAR fee

Hi All,

I am dealing with a mortgage broker at the moment who seem OK but they have a fixed rate fee of £699 for arranging the mortgage which is payable on completion. In the Mortgage Illustration document they have given me they refer to this fee as a 'FAR Fee' so does anyone know what a 'FAR fee' is?

Also they have proposed adding that £699 cost on top of the mortgage as opposed to me just paying it directly to them? Any thoughts or ideas as to why they may be proposing doing it like this?

Many thanks,

Leon

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I take it the firm's initials aren't F A R?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Ask the broker these questions?
    I would prefer my customers to come to me and ask about anything like this. You are paying them £700 after all.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Leon12 wrote: »
    Also they have proposed adding that £699 cost on top of the mortgage as opposed to me just paying it directly to them? Any thoughts or ideas as to why they may be proposing doing it like this?

Probably because they feel they have a sounder chance of getting paid that way.

Not a policy we use, but simply a case of you deciding whether to borrow an extra £699 or not? Adding any fee to the loan means you will pay interest so it will cost you more in the long run.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Leon12 wrote: »

I'd imagine they have done this as this is the preferred method for customers to pay broker fees due to the size of them.

They should however be gaining clear consent from you upfront on whether or not you want fees adding to loan, adding fees increases the amount of interest you'll repay on the mortgage.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Also they have proposed adding that £699 cost on top of the mortgage as opposed to me just paying it directly to them?

You should be given the option of paying it as a bill or adding it to the mortgage. If you being encouraged to add it to the mortgage without the opportunity to pay it instantly then that would be considered a missale. The FOS have ruled on these in a number of cases. They have no issue with it being added to the mortgage as long as you are made aware of the choice and consequences. They also prefer it is added to a sub account with no tie in allowing you to pay it back without penalty after the mortgage is advanced. However, that is mainly in cases where it was recorded on the documentation that you intended to pay the fee via the mortgage but repay that bit earlier than the mortgage term.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Leon12
    Leon12 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks all.

The firms initials are not F.A.R so I can only assume it is some kind of broker industry terminology but in any case it is clearly their set fee for the work they are doing in finding the mortgage for me. I will ask them to confirm exactly what it means in any case.

I am also going to insist that I pay it separately as I do not want the fee added to my mortgage and therefore gaining interest on it as some above have correctly said.

Thanks again for the help.

Leon
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The firms initials are not F.A.R so I can only assume it is some kind of broker industry terminology

Its not broker terminology.

When a firm abbreviates something, its either something that is well known for using initials or something that was referred to earlier in the same document (to save repeating more words than necessary).

Just chuck them an email and ask them what FAR stands for. And then let us know the answer!
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure