Araghhhh I can't stop unecessary spending - help!!

Comments

• kinkypixie
    kinkypixie Posts: 129 Forumite
    :) oh Girl Racer, how true that is, that's why I have a theory that you buy say, an expensive pair of jeans then just buy cheap neutral tops!!

Not really money saving though!!!
    LBM - March 2007
    Total debt Jan 2008 - 23,535.62 (£7050.74 - Student Loan):eek: [strike]£16,484.88[/strike] £13,762.86 (NOW) total debt :cry:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW NERD No. 457 Weekly budget £21.68
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I like markets fpor clothes :) a lot round my way has french connection., river island, top shop etc. You can buy topshop trousers for a fiver for example.

If youve bought a lot of clothes & they are your weakness have you tried selling on ebay? with that mony you make on ebay, you can pay off debts with it, and buy other bargains as and when you see thme on ebay
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • kinkypixie
    kinkypixie Posts: 129 Forumite
    I have ebayed quite a lot recently, but find clothes really difficult to sell sometimes. Really have to jump back on the ebay wagon this week!!

Has anyone ever sold clothes as a kind of 'job lot' on ebay??

I don't have loads of designer label stuff.
    LBM - March 2007
    Total debt Jan 2008 - 23,535.62 (£7050.74 - Student Loan):eek: [strike]£16,484.88[/strike] £13,762.86 (NOW) total debt :cry:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW NERD No. 457 Weekly budget £21.68
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    lonely wrote: »
    This will stop you spending in Primark or all those other "bargain" places:
    http://www.nosweat.org.uk/node/156

Excellent article, but I am sure that ASDA, Tesco and PRIMARK are not the only culprits. At one time M&S proudly displayed a sign, in ALL of their shops, stating that 90% of their goods were British Made. This sign has long since disappeared, as have most of the uk suppliers of garments to M&S.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • kinkypixie wrote: »
    I have ebayed quite a lot recently, but find clothes really difficult to sell sometimes. Really have to jump back on the ebay wagon this week!!

Has anyone ever sold clothes as a kind of 'job lot' on ebay??

I don't have loads of designer label stuff.

Last year i dropped a dress size and to give me the willpower not to put it back on i sold 3 bin bags of clothes on ebay. I photographed most of the nicer pieces and then just listed them all. I think the whole lot reached about £140 :j
  • frugalpam
    frugalpam Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Helonearth wrote: »
    Just a thought, but if your weakness is clothes or shoes, you can always take them back and get a refund.Good luck

That's what I'll be doing this week :(
    I really fell off the wagon yesterday. It was always a dangerous idea to go out shopping with a friend of mine - I really had intended to just get a skirt and a few plants for the garden. I ended up spending £75, which gave me a huge adrenaline rush for the rest of the day.
    This morning I feel really bad about it all - I'm taking most of it back to the shops, and just keeping the 3 plants and the skirt (which is what I went out for in the first place!!) Still - must've learned something in my debt free wannabee journey. At one time I'd have kept the clothes and shoes, at least this time they're being returned.
    But I'm so mad with myself !!!!

Pam
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    I was planning to buy quite a lot of new clothes for Spring/ Summer (particularly for work as I work in an office where everyone tends to be 'dressed up') but instead I spent a day getting out everything I already own and going through it - had so many blouses, tops and skirts that I'd forgotten about. Did some sewing back on of buttons, fixing little tears, and hung everything up properly. It made me realise that there was very little that I actually needed, the few bits I did, I got off eBay - two blouses and two dresses came to a tenner including postage. And people think I've bought lots of new things because they're seeing me in stuff I've never worn or not worn for ages :)

As Charlotte said it's about training yourself and trying to think long term - try to feel good that you've done something to help yourself in the future, it is hard but it's worth it, see those figures going down on your signature and feel good about that. As for not going out, I can't sit in the house all day, but try going for a walk somewhere where there's no shops (I'm off to spend this afternoon in the local park with a book), or go out with no money, or just enough for what you need. I'm also finding a weekly budget works well for me - take your weekly amount out of the bank and then leave the cards at home.
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    Or if like me you absolutely love a shopping trip with the girls - I only ever go when I've paid off a complete debt (roll on the end of the Argos card for my next shopping trip). I try and collect as many vouchers and points as I can so I don;t have to spend so much 'cash'. SO far I've got £100 in M&S vouchers courtesy of Zurich (I renewed 2 policies with them and got £50 vouchers for each policy), £10 boots voucher (courtesy of pigsback), about £40 in Nectar points which I can spend in Debenhams and £32 in Boots advantage points. I'm also due a cheque off GreasyPalm for £25. Voila - free day of shopping!!!
  • dubgirl
    dubgirl Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi, what about swapping clothes with friends, sisters etc - I've done this with my sister and although you are not getting "new" clothes, it does feel like you are getting a different wardrobe and its recycling. I've not done this with shoes, i'm a bit iffy about wearing other peoples shoes - veruccas etc.
  • Kez100
    Kez100 Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    I absolutely hate shopping and ask myself why am I different to you? It's because I don't have the time and never have. So, wat about doing some of the things I do.... Do you already own a cycle? Is there a park nearby where you can the children to play (if you have them)? Do you have a garden? I nvest in some seeds and grow your own veg. Do you need to get fit? Join a running club and you will three times a week you can be out with them. Do you need to get fit and can't run/don't want to run? Find a walking route and do that. Even enter race for life as a goal. For 10 pounds you will give yourself motivation to train and save on all those extras at the shops. What about home cooking and freezing? Spend some time making your menus and freeze ahead for the week. Just a few ideas of the things that take up all of my time.
    If your folly is your car try the attitude I have always had with them. If they aren't costing in repairs don't change them. See how many years you can swing the big depreciation over. For example, 6 years ago I bought a 18 month used top of the range Toyota for 11,250. It's probably worth nothing now but running really well. I look on it as having cost me 11,250/6 - just uner 2k in depreciation per year. I look forward to next year when I hope I can split 11,250 over 7 years!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure