PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scones..how can i get them to rise..

Comments

• renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Hi Trinny.

For years I have tried to bake the perfect Scone, I have used every receipe by everyone .
    Now, I have the perfect receipe by Pru Leith , I double the quantity and freeze half. They are perfect for freezing.

8oz S.R. Flour
    1/2 tspn Salt
    2oz Butter
    1oz Sugar ( optional)
    1/4 Pint Milk
    1 Egg beaten to glaze.

Pre-heat oven to 220c/425f/ gas mark 7

Sift flour and salt ,rub in butter, stir in sugar Pour the milk into a well in the centre and mix to a soft spongy dough with a knife.
    Knead very lightly until smooth , roll out and press until 2.5cm/1 inch thick, cut out with pastry cutter, brush with beaten egg for light gloss,Bake for just 7-9 mins. Leave on rack to cool then enjoy, the best scones you will ever make.

I did have doubts about this one as the dough is rather sticky but on a floured board it will just be just right.
    You can add 1oz Sultanas or other dried fruit ,add to flour and the begining.For Cheese Scone add 1oz strong grated cheese but half ther butter and omit the sugar.

Good Luck!
    You live..You learn.:)
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I use a really really hot oven (crank it to 11 to heat while making the dough, then turn it down to recipe temp before putting them in).
    Always use fresh flour (baking powder in self raising flour can absorb moisture in storage and loose much of it's raising ability). I use Delia's recipe which I think calls for a little extra baking powder.
    Don't twist the cutter and don't roll dough out too thin.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree with Rashka - the oven needs to be really hot before you put them in
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Scones dont rise a amount ,you need to cut them pretty thick to start with .
    First few times I made them ,I cut them not much thicker than cookies :o
    Make sure you flour the cutter and press dont twist :)
  • JenPup
    JenPup Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One really great trick I learned is to put the baking sheet in the oven when it's preheating, then at the last minute when you're ready to put the scones into the nice hot oven, take the tray out of the oven and quickly put them on it and put back in again.

For some reason having a hot baking tray makes all the difference to how much they rise!

Hope this helps.
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    fletty wrote: »
    always use slightly soured milk (milk thats on the turn) you can't taste it and it seems to work, my nana always used to do that and hers were the best ever. x

I agree. Its all about the acid in the soured milk reacting with the baking soda. That's the main reason its important to use buttermilk in soda farl flour.

If you don't have slightly soured milk or buttermilk, add something acidic. A small amount of cider vinegar/lime/lemon.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Substituting plain live yoghurt for all or part of the milk also helps
  • maro11
    maro11 Posts: 309 Forumite
    I want to make light fluffy scones as I have Italian guests coming next week and they have never had a scone/cream tea.

I used an online recipe this morning and the scones have come out rubbish. They smelt wonderful whilst baking but they are moist inside, not crumbly. I must have used too much liquid as I had to guess and could not find measuring jug.
    They were also not sweet enough, the recipe said 25g sugar. I did weigh out all other ingredients.

I looked at a number of online recipes, some said butter must be cold, other room temp, some had egg in them and some did not.

Frustrating!!

Does anyone have a foolproof recipe or any tips. I am determined to master this. I would love to be able to bake
    Thanks
    Maro
  • Have you got a bero book?

Touch wood i have never had a bero recipie fail!
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Have you got a bero book?

Touch wood i have never had a bero recipie fail!

Or check out Bero online, there are scone recipes on there too.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport