PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pizza Dough Recipes , Tips and Quick Questions

Options
Hi all,
Finally got the nerve to ask at Tesco for some fresh yeast (was given a nice large lump of it ;) )! I plan to bake some bread with it tomorrow or over the weekend...but i really fancied making some pizza tonight...so....

Does anyone have a recipe for pizza dough using fresh yest? I've searched the forum and all i could find was recipes with dried yeast....not sure how to convert the amounts from dried to fresh :o

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Usually about half, I seem to remember reading somewhere - I'll see if I can find it.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Liney_2
    Liney_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Karma67 wrote:
    Hi all,
    Finally got the nerve to ask at Tesco for some fresh yeast (was given a nice large lump of it ;) )! I plan to bake some bread with it tomorrow or over the weekend...but i really fancied making some pizza tonight...so....

Does anyone have a recipe for pizza dough using fresh yest? I've searched the forum and all i could find was recipes with dried yeast....not sure how to convert the amounts from dried to fresh :o

Did they just give it to you for free?
    [size=-2]Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment![/size]
  • Miss_Behaving
    Options
    Hi Liney, I've found that Tesco give away free yeast but Sainsbury's charge for it. Think Asda give away yeast too.
    It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morrisons sell it for 29p. It's in the fridges with the fresh pastry.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    when I have fresh yeast I use it by 'look' rather than weight - a lump thatmore or less fits in a tablespoon usually is enough to use with 2 lbs strong white flour for pizza (bread flour is ok).

Fresh yeast needs to be crumbled and mixed with hand-hot water (not too hot or it kills it) and a tbsp sugar, whip until all mixed and leave to froth. When there is a good froth you can use it.

Hope this helps!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    I shall be off to Tesco I think-why on oearth have I been buying packets of dried if I can get some fresh for free. Where do I ask? At the breadcounter somewhere?
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, just ask someone near the fresh bread and they'l go get you some, for free.
  • Karma67
    Karma67 Posts: 541 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    Usually about half, I seem to remember reading somewhere - I'll see if I can find it.
    thanks squeaky :)

I tried last night but it all went haywire......used about a teaspoon of fresh yeast, didn't froth properly, put in breadmaker for making the dough and i put it on the setting for dough and not pizza dough :o ....so a 'proper' recipe would be great!! So as you can imagine.....pizza came out of the freezer not the breadmaker lol

BTW what is the conversion of cups to grams...all these blasted breadmaker recipes are in cups for flour and i don't have a cup with mine!

Also...ok i'm being a pest now lol.....how long does it take the yeast to froth?

ok no more q's i promise!!

Thanks
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Karma67 wrote:
    thanks squeaky :)

I tried last night but it all went haywire......used about a teaspoon of fresh yeast, didn't froth properly, put in breadmaker for making the dough and i put it on the setting for dough and not pizza dough :o ....so a 'proper' recipe would be great!! So as you can imagine.....pizza came out of the freezer not the breadmaker lol

A bit lower down the thread from my reply was one from Caterina that suggests MORE rather than less and I'd be more than happy to be guided by her on this one.

BTW what is the conversion of cups to grams...all these blasted breadmaker recipes are in cups for flour and i don't have a cup with mine!
    As for cups - the americans work by volume rather than weight.
    You can usually buy plastic cup sets in pretty much any supermarket - but for recipes that are ALL cups you just need to use any old cup or mug you like, and as long as you use THAT mug for all the ingredients the proportions will work out fine.

In the meantime - an american cup is 240mil and a european one is 250mil

Hardly worth bothering about the difference.

To get quantities right for a recipe that's one cup of something and everything else in in tablespoons etc there's a way to sort this out.

Put a mug or glass on your scales (glass is better 'cos you can mark it) and zero them. Now add water until the scales show 250grams. This is where you can stick a bit of label or sticky tape on the outside of this glass to mark the water level.

THAT is one cup

Just dry the glass off and fill it with flour or sugar (whatever) to that level and your recipe will be right.

If you happen to have a smaller glass or tumbler that comes to about 250 when full it's even easier

Also...ok i'm being a pest now lol.....how long does it take the yeast to froth?

ok no more q's i promise!!

Thanks
    The yeast frothing is very much a how long is a piece of string question because it depends on how much yeast, how much sugar you put with it, how warm or cool the water, and how warm the kitchen. For average values of these mine seems to take about an hour ish to look quite good. I'm sure other people will have different timings.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Karma67
    Karma67 Posts: 541 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks once again :D

Will get 'measuring' right away :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing