Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• plusman
    plusman Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I finally got a response from Revolut via the app - 2.5 hrs after requesting it.

So I guess that at the moment you might just have to wait for them to respond.
  • sandiego
    sandiego Posts: 25 Forumite
    Hi going to US need to get a prepaid travel card to use for shopping eating etc dont want to rely on an app anyone had any experience with the FAIRFX us card or post office card ? which is best ? Thanks in advance.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sandiego wrote: »
    Hi going to US need to get a prepaid travel card to use for shopping eating etc dont want to rely on an app anyone had any experience with the FAIRFX us card or post office card ? which is best ? Thanks in advance.
    I would say FairFX - better exchange rate, reliability and CS.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Hello, I have just started to use weswap (10 March 2016), loaded card, swap currency to euros, check account all good. Used card for small amount on holiday, all good. Used card for larger amount at different store, all good. Used card again at different store, sale declined, tried a smaller amount (although there was money on card for the first amount), card declined. Tried calling number on back of card, no use as did not give you option to speak to a person. Paid by other means. Arrived back at holiday home and checked online with weswap and the amount that was declined had been debited from our account (this was for a large amount of money). Contacted weswap with telephone number on website and spoke to a person, told him the situation and he told us that someone would telephone, which they did not, but sent a email explaining that if the card was declined the money would be returned in 14 days (not much good when you need it there and then). Apparently the sales merchant (a large company so no fraud taking place) does not get the money till the end of day when all of their transactions are downloaded in one go from mastercard, so when you buy something mastercard in my case look at your account to see if you have the money and debit this amount from your card, if you don't have the money the card is declined.
    I had the money but the card was declined and my money was taken by mastercard and is now floating around in their account until the time is up (14 days) when it will be returned to my account. I did not receive a declined receipt (make sure you always get the declined receipt) as weswap say they can get it back quicker.
    Weswap have not responded to my emails when on their site they say emails responded withing 24 working business hours. I asked customer service at weswap why they can't contact mastercard and get the details from them saying it was declined (they still took the money anyway) and ask them to return money asap. Weswap said the onus was on me to prove this.
    So, last time I use the weswap card, as customer service is nill for me, and I understand that customers may have a positive from using weswap but if it fails one time for me than it is one time to many and lets face it, when it's about money and card does not work and you have to wait 14 days for return of your money, it's not good. By the way still no reply by email as of today 16th March 2016.
  • plusman
    plusman Posts: 33 Forumite
    sandiego wrote: »

I have used the FairFx Euro and USD card for a few years now and it has worked well.
  • Snapelover
    Snapelover Posts: 435 Forumite
    Going to Rhodes for a week, mid May, taking cash for initial beers etc. :beer: but looking for a pre load card that doesn't require an app as both me and my hubby have Windows phones.

Should we take a debit or credit card also as back up as there are some horror stories of cards not working?
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Always take a back up :) (preferably several!) Even if the ones you have aren't the 'best' cards for spending abroad, it's better to end up paying a transaction fee rather than being stuck with no means of payment.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • tinktay84
    tinktay84 Posts: 299 Forumite
    hi all is there still a code for revolut as im going away in a few weeks and after researching im finally decided on revolt.
    trainee millionaire (aka not there yet!)
  • tinktay84
    tinktay84 Posts: 299 Forumite
    ignore the last one ive found it
    trainee millionaire (aka not there yet!)
  • I'm confused. There seems to be a fair number of recommendations for revolut on here. But also a lot of really negative comments about their customer service and the card not working. Loads of unhappy customers on facebook comments too.

I am about to head off to Volunteer abroad for a while. Need to be able to get cash out mainly.

Prepaid or credit?
    And which one?

Many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family