Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Isn't this thread about products? Only asking as it seems to get cluttered atm with discussing other stuff to do with Aldi and Lidl. Surely there are other threads to discuss packing methods or why other people do not shop there.....Sorry, folks, for nitpicking but threads do have a topic for a reason and I find scrolling a waste of time.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I work in retail and some of my customers don't shop at A or L as they don't like the speed of the cashiers scanning and put off packing away on a work top high shelf.

Another reason is that they don't seem to think customers want to buy a few items and have to queue up with customers buying 70 plus items. Though credit to Lidl for having self scans

I just place everything back in the trolley as it's scanned then take it out to the car and pack into boxes/bags there. Much easier.

And as for people only having a few items, they are usually invited to go in front of customers with a loaded up trolley. It can often take me quite a while to unpack my trolley onto the belt so often two or three customers will be served in front of me if they've only got a few things.

Only selfish, ignorant people would make someone with just a handful of items wait inline behind them.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I put stuff onto the conveyor belt in precisely the order I wish to pack them. So as fast as it's coming through I'm packing it as I know it's already in the right (weight/shape/size) order.

I do exactly the same. I even go so far as to segregate my shopping into different areas of the trolley as I shop. It makes it easier to sort and then I can get it scanned in exactly the right order I want to reload the trolley. When I get to the car I have designated bags/coolbox for each category so it's easy just to fill the right bags as I unload.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Happygreen wrote: »
    Aldi has some so called paleo/raw nut bars by the tills - just thought I'd mention that they are extremely yummy and considering what we'd be paying for a similar bar at Holland & Barrett - real brain food ;)
    I tried something called 'Foodie Market - Paleo Wholefood Bars - Cashew Crush'. Now I should point out that I have no idea what 'paleo' is, but they were not at all what I was expecting. They were obscenely sweet, and if you didn't already know, you wouldn't be able to tell that they contained nuts, let alone that they were cashews! Personally, I won't be buying again.
    Stompa
  • Happygreen
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I just place everything back in the trolley as it's scanned then take it out to the car and pack into boxes/bags there. Much easier.

And as for people only having a few items, they are usually invited to go in front of customers with a loaded up trolley. It can often take me quite a while to unpack my trolley onto the belt so often two or three customers will be served in front of me if they've only got a few things.

Only selfish, ignorant people would make someone with just a handful of items wait inline behind them.

How much longer? Surely there are other threads to discuss packing methods or how selfish and ignorant other shoppers are....If not, create one. Products, anyone? :wave:
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Happygreen wrote: »
    How much longer? Surely there are other threads to discuss packing methods or how selfish and ignorant other shoppers are....If not, create one. Products, anyone? :wave:

Since you're so unhappy with the thread, maybe you could add some product details yourself? Or perhaps look elsewhere? :)
  • Happygreen
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Since you're so unhappy with the thread, maybe you could add some product details yourself? Or perhaps look elsewhere? :)

If you scroll up past your contributions you can just find one. I am very happy with the topic of the thread but not with it being hijacked on and on.
  • Happygreen
    Stompa wrote: »
    I tried something called 'Foodie Market - Paleo Wholefood Bars - Cashew Crush'. Now I should point out that I have no idea what 'paleo' is, but they were not at all what I was expecting. They were obscenely sweet, and if you didn't already know, you wouldn't be able to tell that they contained nuts, let alone that they were cashews! Personally, I won't be buying again.
    Paleo means no grains or added sugar, so no oats or fructose glucose syrup. The sweetness is from the 49 % Dates, which is a bit excessive, I agree but it makes it stick together. The Cashew "crush" in the name is a bit misleading, but the other 51 % of ingredients is raw cashews.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I tried the Brazil Nut & Cherry variety. It was very nice, and not overly sweet. Not that much evidence of Brazils or Cherries, but certainly palatable.
  • Happygreen
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I tried the Brazil Nut & Cherry variety. It was very nice, and not overly sweet. Not that much evidence of Brazils or Cherries, but certainly palatable.

I still have one - Dates 50 % , Brazil Nut pieces 40 %, dried sour cherries 10 % - not bad compared to ordinary cereal bars.

There was a banana one as well I haven't tried (not a banana fan) but the cocoa bar was also nice (all gone ;) )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure