Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just a word, when we went to SOL we naturally thought we could go up the statue, but in fact this has to be pre booked and in advance.
    Seems the National Parks only allow a controlled amount per day.

You can still walk around etc but not actually inside.
    We found this out as we looked at the sign near the entrance a parks officer spoke with us and informed us what to do next time, whether it was a slow time of day or our faces he then let us in.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dipsy wrote: »
    thank you for the link/information

Quick question

is one journey classed every time you leave a station

ie get on departure station and leave station (1) then go back go to next stop (2), then get back on and go back to start point (3)

is that 3 journeys ?

Also, are you able to use on the buses, looks like you can but just thought I would ask

thanks very much for your help

Yes,everytime you get on the subway and travel you will need to use your card,the same as in the UK,however if you get the 7 day pass you can get on and off the subway and busses as many times as you like.
    Do not forget you can walk around and enjoy seeing more of NY. enjoy your trip.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Yes,everytime you get on the subway and travel you will need to use your card,the same as in the UK,however if you get the 7 day pass you can get on and off the subway and busses as many times as you like.
    Do not forget you can walk around and enjoy seeing more of NY. enjoy your trip.

thank you that's very helpful

I will walk as much as I can, unfortunately I am disabled and some days I struggle to walk to the bathroom, I intend to drug myself up lol
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2017 at 5:44PM
    Options

Quick question

ie get on departure station and leave station (1) then go back go to next stop (2), then get back on and go back to start point (3)

is that 3 journeys ?

Also, are you able to use on the buses, looks like you can but just thought I would ask

As Ganga answered it would be 3 journeys if you pass through the turnstyle, however you can transfer from a bus to the subway, or subway to bus and bus to bus within 2 hours of swiping your card. Only for pay per ride as the 7 day card allows unlimited journeys on the subway and local buses.

More HERE scroll down to making connections.

Although not really looking, there didn't seem to be many lifts or escalators on the subway, maybe have a look HERE for more info and to plan your nearest accessible station, although the platforms weren't as far down as the London tube. Apologies if I have misunderstood your needs.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thank you that's very helpful

I will walk as much as I can, unfortunately I am disabled and some days I struggle to walk to the bathroom, I intend to drug myself up lol

My apologies if taken the wrong way,i did not know about your disability,as pompeyrich has pointed out best check subway accesability as the ones that we used had stairs rather than escalators.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This section of the MTA web site about accessibility might be worth a look:
    http://web.mta.info/accessibility/
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Options

Quick question

is that 3 journeys ?

I am just back from my first time in NYC, we covered over 60 miles in our week there & that was us using the subway. I can highly recommend the 7 day unlimited pass, I lost count of how many times we used it (including one day going downtown instead of uptown, much to my annoyance as I had planned everything to a T for this trip but let hubby have his way that day just to prove I was correct :rotfl:)

After you get the Air Train from JFK to Jamaica, there is a kiosk selling candy etc, go here & ask for your 7 day unlimited pass & your air train ticket (you need this to get through the barriers)

The only thing for us was as we arrived the Monday & weren't leaving until the following Monday our ticket expired on the Sunday but it was just a matter of getting another $5.50 to cover the subway for the return journey.

The MTA website is fantastic for journey planning, someone on here pointed me in the direction of this & also the kiosk mentioned above, it was invaluable information for me & it was never wrong.

I loved the high line, it was one of my favourite things, we opted out of the 9/11 tour as I was emotional just at the memorial, we opted for a night time open bus tour instead, Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty were ok, nice to see but I wouldn't go back. Central Park was gorgeous but before you enter there are people everywhere trying to get you to hire bikes, horse rides etc, we just ignored them. Top of the Rock was just amazing, I loved it & am terrified of heights, but I didn't feel I was up high if that makes sense. American Museum of Natural History was also amazing, we run out of time & only had around 3 hours in here, we could have spent a lot more time here. Anything else I can help with just ask while its all fresh in my mind.
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hi macpep1
    I must say i do like peoples trip reports (new york is on par with vegas for my top destination) and i always am a bit nosey top see what people do on there trip, and to see if things i may have missed and think "ah we can do that !"

like you we loved top of the rock , we did it during the day and are planning to maybe do it at night on our next trip !
    central park is also amazing , we got lost trying to look for the hotel in home alone- we walked for miles through central park and gave up and on the way back my brother was like oh there it is! so we had walked past it without noticing if that makes sense.
    we did not get asked about hiring bikes or the horse rides- though in thinking i think my brother and i look like a couple of crazy thugs ( we are nice, honest! :D)
    Im glad you enjoyed yourself though im sure like us you are eager to book up again !!

kind reagrds
  • macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Options
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    hi macpep1
    I must say i do like peoples trip reports (new york is on par with vegas for my top destination) and i always am a bit nosey top see what people do on there trip, and to see if things i may have missed and think "ah we can do that !"

like you we loved top of the rock , we did it during the day and are planning to maybe do it at night on our next trip !
    central park is also amazing , we got lost trying to look for the hotel in home alone- we walked for miles through central park and gave up and on the way back my brother was like oh there it is! so we had walked past it without noticing if that makes sense.
    we did not get asked about hiring bikes or the horse rides- though in thinking i think my brother and i look like a couple of crazy thugs ( we are nice, honest! :D)
    Im glad you enjoyed yourself though im sure like us you are eager to book up again !!

kind reagrds

I had my itinerary all planned out, we switched a few days around to accommodate the weather but all went well & we saw all that we wanted to see on this trip, yes I will definitely be back in the next few years, it was VERY expensive though.
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    macpep1 wrote: »
    I had my itinerary all planned out, we switched a few days around to accommodate the weather but all went well & we saw all that we wanted to see on this trip, yes I will definitely be back in the next few years, it was VERY expensive though.

hi
    i think new york is like that, being expensive, though i always try to save some money where i can, so i always try to see if there are deals or anything before hand.

kind regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport