Extracting .rar files - "disk is full" error

I am trying to open up some .rar files. However, after a certain point during the extraction I get the error 'could not open, disk is full'.

I noticed during a previous extraction process that my hard disk space falls rapidly. Yet I cannot the .rar file which is taking up this space.

Any ideas on where the opened file is being saved so that I can delete?
"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Extract to a different location .

Its being saved where you decide to save .

Double click EXTRACT TO you then decide where the location is .

jje
  • AFAIK winrar uses the directory set by TEMP environment variable during the extract process, then moves over to the location specified for extract.
  • Looked under Temp folder but nothing there - still can't seem to figure out where it saved previous extraction...
    "To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott
  • Extract the rar file again and note the save location?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Won't it, by default, be trying to extract to the same directory currently holding the .rar file?

Another solution is to free space on the hard disk containing this directory so that the extraction doesn't fail..... old unused files, temp files, empty recycle bin, etc....
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Its the temp folder that is full not he destination you can set it in rar where to put temp folder

Its in options and then paths
  • Linbox
    Linbox Posts: 383 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2010 at 6:41PM
    "disk is full" - not enough room on the disk to open the file. Is this happening with everything or only winrar.
    If the rar files are say 1 gigabyte it needs at least that size free space again to open/decompress the file(s) (probably more as its a compressed file).

Have you tried Izarc or 7zip both are free and will handle all types of rar/zip types

Any how try this first -
    1. Empty recycle bin.
    2. Run the disk cleanup wizard. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup
    3. Download and install CCleaner then run and cleaner.
  • I am trying to open up some .rar files. However, after a certain point during the extraction I get the error 'could not open, disk is full'.

I noticed during a previous extraction process that my hard disk space falls rapidly. Yet I cannot the .rar file which is taking up this space.

Any ideas on where the opened file is being saved so that I can delete?

Disk space .. .. you need two and a half times the space. Example undo a movie file of 4GiG onto a drive with 8GiG free will not work !

How big are the *.rar you are unarchiving ?
    How much space on the drive [ not folder ] you are unarchiving to ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    as said its temp folder winrar unzips files in windows temp and it gets full solution set temp to another hard drive as shown
    thats assuming you have enough space before it then move temp file to destination

1omlz8sivfcuyspuhror.jpg
  • Linbox wrote: »
    "disk is full" - not enough room on the disk to open the file. Is this happening with everything or only winrar.
    If the rar files are say 1 gigabyte it needs at least that size free space again to open/decompress the file(s) (probably more as its a compressed file).

Have you tried Izarc or 7zip both are free and will handle all types of rar/zip types

Any how try this first -
    1. Empty recycle bin.
    2. Run the disk cleanup wizard. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup
    3. Download and install CCleaner then run and cleaner.

Izarc & 7zip both use temp folders don't they ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure