PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do all Estate Agents reject people on Housing Benefit?

2»

Comments

• mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    I think you are forgetting 1 thing pastures new.

Estate agents will need proof of income, bank statements, character references, and work references.

You will not be able to hide the fact that you are in receipt of HB as your bank statement will clearly show something along the lines of DWP LHA or something along those lines.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mitchaa wrote: »
    I think you are forgetting 1 thing pastures new.

Estate agents will need proof of income, bank statements, character references, and work references.

You will not be able to hide the fact that you are in receipt of HB as your bank statement will clearly show something along the lines of DWP LHA or something along those lines.
    I wasn't asked for proof of income. I told them I wasn't working at all and I'd just relocated.
    I wasn't asked for bank statements.
    I was asked for a reference, got that from my then (temporary) housemate. She'd only known me from Adam for 8 weeks.
    I had no work references. I wasn't working.

I filled in the form, had a credit check. Got the housemate reference. Paid 6 months' in advance.

This was with the South Wales largest EA, not some bloke with a desk in a back street.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yeah but if I'd been more clued up I wouldn't have stayed in the shared house but got a flat and claimed HB for the higher rent... I was paying £300 in a shared house on a £6k net income and didn't feel hard up - you don't need much when single but it never occured to me living alone was a possibility.....
    It's a necessity when you're older (nobody wants to house share with somebody older than their mum).
    Or if you work from home - you need the space to work/operate and make/take calls, potentially have business contacts over for coffee and a chat about a contract without a housemate appearing dishevelled and in PJs with last night's pick up in tow.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    I wasn't asked for proof of income. I told them I wasn't working at all and I'd just relocated.
    I wasn't asked for bank statements.
    I was asked for a reference, got that from my then (temporary) housemate. She'd only known me from Adam for 8 weeks.
    I had no work references. I wasn't working.

I filled in the form, had a credit check. Got the housemate reference. Paid 6 months' in advance.

This was with the South Wales largest EA, not some bloke with a desk in a back street.

Well the experience i have with renting contradicts everything above.

I WAS asked for proof of income
    I WAS asked for bank statements
    I WAS asked for character references
    I WAS asked for an employment reference.

My wife WAS also asked for proof of all above also.

This was a nationwide EA properly vetting suitable tenants.

Ive rented 4 different properties within the last 3 years due to job and in all 4 cases the above was requested.

If you dont ask for the above as a very minimum then they are not correctly vetting tenants for their landlords.

Perhaps your landlord is/was not picky.
  • Loretta
    Loretta Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Yes that is correct, I am single and I'm getting LHA becuase I am self-employed earning less than £7,000 per year. I was sharing with my partner until Sep last year but he suddenly left me in the lurch which was the main reason I applied for the benefits otherwise I could not pay the rent myself.

I graduated from a 4-year degree in 2006 with £20,000 in debt from stupidly living on credit for 5 years - I have been paying for that ever since.

I am self-employed as a designer and freelance administrator for a local festival which gives me regular, well paid work for 8 months of the year. I work from home, for more than 40 hours a week and need a lot of space to do that, so I am not really keen on a house share as I would probably face greater costs!

I live in Brighton (which are basically London prices). I have great references going back almost 6 years, but my options are so limited thanks to being a student and trying to build a career it would seem..

As you live in Brighton please go to Brighton Housing Trust not only are they experts when it comes to any housing problems they also have extensive local knowledge
    Loretta
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If the agents are saying no it might be worth doing what a friend of mine did, she did a letter including her references and explaining she would like to be considered for the property and dropped it through the letter boxes of the houses she was interested in FOA the landlord. She only got calls back from 3 of the 9 (she got calls from 2 agents warning her off who she then reported for opening the landlords mail!) but she now has a lovely home, saving the landlord on fees with the agency etc.

I have a rule, if the worst they can say is no, it is worth asking
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure