Sky Complaint sent Exec office

Options
Having issues with Sky.

Do you think my complaint will get anywhere i have sent to Jeremy Darroch's office?
...........................................................................................

Dear Mr Darroch,

I would like to bring to your attention many issues i currently have with your company within certain areas.

Customer name - Danny Callaghan
Account Number -

Firstly the background. I recently joined Sky after being moving into my first home with my partner and new born baby. My parents always had Virgin so never got to experience Sky. Now we have moved we decided to join excitedly and go for the complete package with Fibre broadband!! Super excited..

Unfortunately this is where the happy story ends..

Issue 1

When we signed up to Sky we signed up on the understanding of having the best deal we could on the 8th September 2014. We had a £100 voucher (of our choice) and 25% off the TV package for a year along with 2 years free unlimited broadband! At checkout online we didn't get the option to pick our Voucher as we wanted the Tesco Voucher. Not a problem we called and went on chat to chase this and get it added to our account. All done.
The next thing i know we are being sent a Marks and Spencer voucher, we called again to change this and were told we couldn't change it and it had to be sent to Escalation to see if they would approve it. After 2 weeks e had nothing back and i chased again i was told that there was nothing we could do and would have to have the Marks and Spencer voucher. I'm sorry but i find this pretty appalling considering we didn't get to choose our voucher in the first place. It may seem minor but believe me you can get a hell of a lot more value for you £100 in Tesco than M&S, especially in a new house with no utensils or front room decorations or food in the freezers.
I left it as i felt defeated, but to my surprise i had a notification saying you were sending me the Tesco voucher!! Hooray!! The only problem is this email came on the 5th October. A whole month after joining. The text said it would be another 10 working days before i received it. 6 weeks on after booking with Sky.... i'll leave that one there but i trust you understand my point!

Issue 2

Broadband -

Your fantastic 2 years free unlimited Broadband offer we signed up for. Our engineer came out on the day we agreed which was great. Unfortunately this led to issues with our connection which ended up being a week late being connected. Not a major issue as this happens from time to time. When we did get it connected we tried to load pages on our phones or play the Xbox. Nothing would load for 20 seconds.. after checking the speed we had i was gobsmacked to find it only came in a 2.6mb download and 0.4 upload! I could run 2g quicker and had to on many occasions. Due to this poor signal given i was given no choice but to upgrade my broadband to the fibre. Which has now cost me another £10 per month for 12 months and then up to £20 thereafter that! My package price increases again.. Whilst upgrading i had to wait another 2 weeks for Fibre to turn on so in theory we were without internet for 5 weeks in total. Not a very good start.

Issue 3

Package price -

After signing up to Sky and getting your 'best deal' we decided to refer my parents (Virgin customers for 6 years)
They cancelled their Virgin and signed up to Sky through my referral for refer a friend. £100 each voucher offer! Great!! Or so you would think.
I sent them the link to follow for the deal and they began creating their bundle..when up pops a chat to see if they wanted any assistance with the web page and order. Being in their 50's they accepted the help.
The advisor did his job well and guided them through the process and got them ordered and set up ready. Not before saying to them 'I can offer you a better deal if you drop your refer a friend' Very underhanded!!
My parents ended up with a great package. Identical to mine but they have got 50% off their TV services. Granted their voucher was reduced to £50 for signing up! (excellent for them) Not so good for me.. Not only have my referrals been given a better deal than me for the same package but they also are saving £300 a year on my package! We both lost out on £100 referral voucher too! Surely this cannot be allowed to happen?? I referred them plain and simple, they have since joined Sky and are all up and running now! I feel for my loyalty to Sky i have been shafted with a higher bill and no reward for referring them!!
No to your defence i did complain about this and a very helpful agent went away for a day or so and came to me with a £50 credit on my account!
My argument is;

When i joined Sky why wasn't i given the 50% off deal if it was available? Why couldn't it be added now to my package? Why can we both not get our refer a friend scheme either when my family clearly followed the link and signed up to Sky too? Agents should not be allowed to sway customers away from offers to save the company money! Disgusting.. This needs addressing in your company.

Issue 4

Billing -

Right now we come to the main issue i have. I wouldn't of come to your with the previous problems i have with Sky if this had been dealt with properly by the way.

When i joined Sky i was made aware that a payment was due out of my account on the 25th September ( i joined Sky purposely on a particular date so i knew the payment 14 days later would come out after i had been paid 25th of the month) This was fine and the balance was taken. Then i noticed on the 30th September that my next payment was due again on the 10th October. All my bills had came out and we had no spare money for the month. I called Sky and spoke to advisor who said ' no worries ill change the date to the 25 October instead'. Fantastic! I checked my Sky account online and sure enough the date changed to the 25th October. Phew.... or so i thought!
The 10th October came round and guess what came out of my account??? Yep.. The Sky bill!
I called an agent on the phone who explained to me that because it was changed on the 30th September the billing cycle was inside of and i would still be charged and i should of been told this. I obviously had no idea of this... I can accept these are your terms and you cannot do anything about them but if i had been told i could of possibly borrowed money to cover the bill in time. The fact i wasn't told meant i went over my balance and i have no overdraft in place. I explained this to advisor and he said 'no worries we can refund the bank charges when you get a statement' Great - a little better but still had to incur the charges. Also you were due to collect the amount again today 20th October from account which you can't due no funds still and then my services would be deactivated 2 days later!! Great!!!

So i left it until today when i received my bank statement of charges. Which are so far;

5 days overdrawn at £6 per day = £30
1 returned item of £33.50 from BskyB = £6
Total charges = £36

So i ent back to the phones and spoke to another advisor in the billing team called Robert. I explained the situation and that i had come back for my charges to be refunded. He went away for 10 minutes checking my account. He came back and said he checked with his manager and 'even though on the 10th October you spoke to a Colleague and he advised you we would refund the charges, we actually can't and he has misinformed you'

Woo woo woo hold on a second and back up there! Your telling me that Robert has confirmed to me that its in black and white on my notes in my account that i can have a refund and now your telling me i can't?? I advised him this isn't my problem it says i can on my notes and regardless of the company policy i should be entitled to this refund. It's not my fault that he has wrongly advised me of this. Robert then replies 'It doesn't matter you won't get them back'

This level of attitude infuriated me and led me to this letter. I recently read about yourself Mr Darroch in an article in July 2014 in the City.AM article

'Chief executive Jeremy Darroch tells David Hellier how he is bent on encouraging even more people to fall in love with Sky'

Let me ask you this simple question. After reading this letter of complaint and putting yourself in my shoes. Do you believe you have done enough for me to Fall in love with Sky?

I will request those notes from the account and pay the fee to get them under freedom of information act if i have to take this further by the way.

I would like this matter to be addressed seriously and urgently please.

I look forward to your response in due course.

Regards

Danny Callaghan

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will probably fall asleep, as this is long, with too much irrelevant information. A business letter should short and to the point.

Issue one was sorted, so why complain ?

Regarding issue 2, did you allow two weeks for the broadband speed to settle,as you are warned that it will be slow at first and then speed up ?

On issue3: You can't have refer a friend and another deal, so it's not Sky's fault if your parents chose another offer, to their benefit.

Issue 4 : Will they read this far; especially when they see how long-winded the section is ?
  • doozer85
    Options
    Thanks for you constructive criticism.. lol
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Issue 4 : Will they read this far; especially when they see how long-winded the section is ?

Nope it will be a yawn and deleted .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nothing else to add to what those who've already posted have said. Remove your personal details from the post.
  • talktalktobt
    Options
    I am sorry but I don't see what you have to complain about.

Issue 1: Was resolved and you seem happy. Therefore not an issue.
    Issue 2: If your speed is significantly different from what you were quoted you would be able to cancel. I assume that the speed you have is about that what you were quoted otherwise you would have been able to leave penalty free.
    Issue 3: Your parents agreed to choose a deal to their benefit rather than give you the bonus. You need to speak to them and not Sky. Oh, and my parents are in their 60's and perfectly tech savy!
    If you search the web you will be able to find a host of different Sky deals... and...
    Agents should not be allowed to sway customers away from offers to save the company money
    Should customers be allowed to accept offers to save themselves money?
    Issue 4: The billing cycle is a standard of most companies that bill monthly. I do, however, agree that if they have agreed to refund you charges they should honour this. This should be your complaint.

I would have written:
    On [date] you advisor [name] stated that due to incomplete information supplied to me you would refund charges I incurred. These are £36 as a credit to my bill. I enclose a copy of my bank statement showing these.

I ask that you please review the call and credit this sum as promised.

Kind regards

Much more to the point, easier to read and much more likely to result in a favourable outcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am sorry but I don't see what you have to complain about.
    In addition, why was this long diatribe addressed to the chief executive? He'll never read it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure