Electrical quote to finish of work

Hi

So we had an electrician come in to totally re-wire an old 1940's house, well my dad laid down the ring mains cables and chaffed out the wall sockets. He left he job half way though so now I am getting a quote to get the house electrics re-done.

We have had two quotes and both want £700 which seems a hell of a lot of money for 1 days work. Of course not all of it will be labour but its till alot.

In general this is what needs doing:

Finished off the previous electrical instillation work (loft connections )

Connect bathroom heater
Fit single sockets for electrical appliances
6.0mm twin for the cooker
6.0mm twin for the induction hob
12g grid plate
2x 45a isolators
Install 2x 10mm earthing cables for the gas and water .
Electrical test on the consumer unit

The house is a mid terraced 2 bedroom house.
If i could earn £700 a day maybe im in the wrong job but it seems a rip off.

Comments

• fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Think how much money you saved by getting your dad to do the work - then it won't seem so hard to part with £700 for some one to put their name on a certificate to say it's all safe
    I'd charge you more than £700 just for the testing and consumer unit alone.....
  • fluffpot wrote: »
    Think how much money you saved by getting your dad to do the work - then it won't seem so hard to part with £700 for some one to put their name on a certificate to say it's all safe
    I'd charge you more than £700 just for the testing and consumer unit alone.....

Sorry I don't see your point you clearly sound like a trades person your self either that or you have more money than sense. So going by your logical i should just pay what ever im quoted and make everyone's life easy ?

No you wouldn't charge me £700 just to for testing the consumer unit as I would tell you to jog on.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2014 at 2:05PM
    You have saved a fair amount of money by getting Dad to help....my recent electrical rewire cost circa £4000 and I am well aware that it could have been halved if someone had done the hard bit first.

you are paying for the expertise and sometimes it does seem excessive but if you have had more than one quote and they are similar in price then its possibly the going rate that you are being charged rather than an inflated cost.....would a third quote help from another electrician,with 3 quotes people can usually get a feel for if they are being quoted high.

One days work...even that can be looked at in different ways....how long is the day...if the electrician gets there at 8 and doesnt leave till 6 then you have had good value...hopefully you are paying for completion of the job rather than a daily rate???...you may find that the job is completed over several days or indeed more than one electrician attends...either way you have to sometimes admit that you dont have the skill needed to complete the job yourself and therefore pay for a professional to install.

Are you providing the materials....if not then go and price up the cable and bits it will soom become evident that the £700 isnt pure profit to the electrician

My rewire could have been done by my husband,he's quite a keen diyer and quite competent..... however sometimes there are points where you need the expertise of a qualified electrician and the guarantee that should anything go wrong you are fully covered.

Dentists,lawyers and electricians and probably a few others I cant think of off the top of my head...all have higher bills than personally id like but sometimes us mere mortals just have to pay their prices in order to use their services.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • slinkydonkey
    slinkydonkey Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2014 at 2:18PM
    Well ive spoken to my facilities manger at work and he has recommended an electrician who works for my employer who will hopefully be a lot cheaper. Well after a Google I found this http://www.whatprice.co.uk/prices/electrician/consumer-unit-install.html so considering its already been installed shouldent cost that much at all.

Yes my dad has helped but that was his choice I would never have bought a house which needed complete electrical re-wiring. The point of this forum is to save money in case you forgot not to justify why i should be spending more. I would not compare a lawyer to an electrician or a dentist!

One fact I forgot to mention was the original quote I got I gave that to the 2nd electrician "to beat" so he ended up matching it funny that. Unfortunately it's a case that some people like your self just pay then the rest of us suffer I work very hard but I don't earn £700 a day so I won't pay someone that much a days work is a days work.

I'll wait for the guy at work then post back here when i get his quote then we will know whats fair to pay.
  • LEJC
    Recomendations are always good....and its always advisable to get several quotes as prices can and do vary

Good luck with your rewire.

• LEJC
    edited 17 October 2014 at 3:33PM

The point of this forum is to save money in case you forgot not to justify why i should be spending more.

One fact I forgot to mention was the original quote I got I gave that to the 2nd electrician "to beat" so he ended up matching it funny that. Unfortunately it's a case that some people like your self just pay then the rest of us suffer I work very hard but I don't earn £700 a day so I won't pay someone that much a days work is a days work.

I'll wait for the guy at work then post back here when i get his quote then we will know whats fair to pay.

I dont normally bite back ...but seen as you have made some assumptions I will answer your points.
    the point of this forum in my mind is to get a good deal.that might not always be the cheapest but its about getting value for money....there is little point in buying the cheapest of anything if indeed that doesnt have the durability to last.....saving money is also about getting the best deal rather than just plainly the cheapest...I'd like to point out its not a case that I forgot...more of a point that I see differently to you!

The forums are also a great place to share experiences and learn from others...I have renovated several houses now and whilst I am by no means an expert I have taken note of comments written here by other posters,be they professionals or not...and hopefully over the years have also been able to help first time renovators with advice....never should you hand over a quote from one trade person to another...you might as well have just got one quote...but you have learnt that lesson now for next time.......

This is the phrasing in your post that I take the greatest exception to.....

"Unfortunately it's a case that some people like your self just pay then the rest of us suffer I work very hard but I don't earn £700 a day so I won't pay someone that much a days work is a days work......"

you have no right to judge me neither do you know whether I would just pay so the rest of you suffer... it is hardly as a result of anything that I have done that you are not in position to earn £700 per day

I have in no way been personal in my previous replies to your thread but the fact remains that for skills you have to pay more...and if you are unhappy with that may I suggest that you retrain

The posters on these boards offer good advice many of them are professional and spend time answering questions and giving advice that can in turn save money and help you gain knowledge and understanding...you would do well to be less judgemental of them at times if you are going to get the best out of them.
    There are several posters on this forum especially who really have helped me save money whilst renovating and also been available to answer a question at an odd time of day or at the weekend...to those people I am greatful....your posts have come across very challenging and as such may put people and myself off from replying to you in this or future posts.

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    God bless the people who ask for opinions and don't like the replies.

Why ask if the result is just being rude to someone trying to help? :(
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • slinkydonkey
    slinkydonkey Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2014 at 3:52PM
    LEJC wrote: »
    I dont normally bite back ...but seen as you have made some assumptions I will answer your points.
    the point of this forum in my mind is to get a good deal.that might not always be the cheapest but its about getting value for money....there is little point in buying the cheapest of anything if indeed that doesnt have the durability to last.....saving money is also about getting the best deal rather than just plainly the cheapest...I'd like to point out its not a case that I forgot...more of a point that I see differently to you!

Yes it looks like you do see differently to me most of the time people do actually want the cheapest (not that they admit it I used to run a PC Repair company all people cared about was if i was cheapest ) that's why for example when you look for a product on Amazon (or other sites) often there maybe two similar products but almost always the cheapest one will have better reviews don't just take my word for it take a look.

The forums are also a great place to share experiences and learn from others...I have renovated several houses now and whilst I am by no means an expert I have taken note of comments written here by other posters,be they professionals or not...and hopefully over the years have also been able to help first time renovators with advice....never should you hand over a quote from one trade person to another...you might as well have just got one quote...but you have learnt that lesson now for next time.......

Fantastic im very happy for you clearly the above poster who said he wanted to charge me £700 was very professional not a cowboy at all. Yes it was a stupid mistake but like you said i won't do that again.

This is the phrasing in your post that I take the greatest exception to.....
    Unfortunately it's a case that some people like your self just pay then the rest of us suffer I work very hard but I don't earn £700 a day so I won't pay someone that much a days work is a days work......

you have no right to judge me neither do you know whether I would just pay so the rest of you suffer...

I can judge who I like actually the issue here is you have the choice to how you react and taking it personally seems to be how you have taken it which is not my fault as you choose to react like that.

I have in no way been personal in my previous replies to your thread but the fact remains that for skills you have to pay more...and if you are unhappy with that may I suggest that you retrain

Again you choose to take this personally that not my fault I have no control of your emotions maybe you could try to be more emotive.

The posters on these boards offer good advice many of them are professional and spend time answering questions and giving advice that can in turn save money and help you gain knowledge and understanding...you would do well to be less judgemental of them at times if you are going to get the best out of them.
    There are several posters on this forum especially who really have helped me save money whilst renovating and also been available to answer a question at an odd time of day or at the weekend...to those people I am greatful....your posts have come across very challenging and as such may put people and myself off from replying to you in this or future posts.

You are going off topic here I know how this forum works. I'm aloud to have an opinion and aloud to make judgements if I see fit im not scared to have an opinion neither should you but you do have a choice to how you react.
  • LEJC
    You are going off topic here I know how this forum works. I'm aloud to have an opinion and aloud to make judgements if I see fit im not scared to have an opinion neither should you but you do have a choice to how you react.

It never does anyone any harm to re read the forum rules every now and again prior to posting comments.....you are certainly allowed to shout aloud as much as you want as far as I'm concerned...however some personal assumptions and opinions can be removed by the forum team should it be appropriate following the reporting of a post etc.

• i've had a few quotes myself for this type of work and £700 is a steal. My quotes were all WELL over £1000.

You have to pay these people what they ask - or do it yourself - which you can't - which is why they can charge so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure