want to sell old clothes

hi

i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, whilst sorting out my attic i have come across a lot of my nan's clothes and me and mum have deceided now is the time to let them go.

i have set up an ebay account to make some extra money for hols (reason for sorting out attic) and i was wondering what would be the best way to list them, they are at least 20 years old, but i don't know if they would be classed as vintage.

we are happy to let them go for .99p each so that the money can go towards buying my kids something nice whilst in wdw to remember their great nan by

sorry for the long winded post

Comments

• Look at what is fashionable now - go in Topshop etc, to see what is selling, and see if you have anything that is fashionable now, as fashions come back round.

It really depends on what you have to sell.

How old are the clothes and what age group would wear them?
    My daughters are my world
  • ollow
    ollow Posts: 201 Forumite
    they are anywhere between 20-30 yrs old possibly older, they have been in my attic for 10yrs, i would have said they'd be suitable for a female aged about 60 i know i wouldn't wear them and i'm mid 30's but then you get some really trendy 60 year olds so i'm not to sure
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That isn't a good market on ebay unfortunately, the clothes that sell are usually aimed at a slightly younger market.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why don't you list a few things at 99p (plus sensible postage) or maybe take advantage of free listing tomorrow ? See how it goes.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• goanmad
    goanmad Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Do you mean that they are a bit frumpy? I listed some rather nice older lady dresses last year that a kind lady brought for her 80 year old mother as she found the styles she liked hard to get hold of. They didn't sell for much but if you start at 99p and offer a postage discount if more than one item is bought I'm sure you'll be able to sell them.
  • ollow
    edited 19 March 2010 at 5:03PM
    thanks for the good advice,

i think i might just give it a go, theres a lot of trousers and tops, i'm finding them hard to describe but they are the kind of trousers with elastic backs and a sewn in crease down the front, and the tops are mainly jumpers but with a small holey pattern on the front the kind of thing you used to buy in marks and spencer, funny enough there's a photo of my nan with me as a baby with her in the same kind of trousers so at least 35 years old
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ollow wrote: »
    thanks for the good advice,

i think i might just give it a go, theres a lot of trousers and tops, i'm finding them hard to describe but they are the kind of trousers with elastic backs and a sewn in crease down the front, and the tops are mainly jumpers but with a small holey pattern on the front the kind of thing you used to buy in marks and spencer, funny enough there's a photo of my nan with me as a baby with her in the same kind of trousers so at least 35 years old
    Just watch out you don't start feeling all sad when you start taking photos and going through the clothes :(.
    All the best.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• ollow
    thank you, i'm all prepared for that, going to get the kids out for the weekend and will sit with a bottle of wine and some chocs and plod on
  • kbh4031
    kbh4031 Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would do a completed listings search on every item with a brand tag in....some old clothes are very desirable. Takes a while but would be worth it if you found a gem hiding :)
    Most of the old clothes I put in my shop seem to go...
  • kbh4031
    kbh4031 Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to add Selling clothing by weight is not a good idea unless you are going to throw out the clothes anyway, a friend of mine sold 6 blacks bags full to the brim...some nice brands too and they gave her £24!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure