MSE News: 'I got £82,000 PPI back'

Comments

• susanne210
    susanne210 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 3 April 2012 at 12:17PM
    I have just been told M & S have to repay me 20 years.
    I did know I was paying PPI but it was only when I got a copy of my original agreement did I rermember I was self employed at the time and my employers address was the same as my home address. I queried this as 20 years ago it was not so clear that it would have been of no benefit to me. Has been going on for quite a while but just waiting to see how much:j now. I have done it myself with the help of FOS
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    susanne210 wrote: »
    I have just been told M & S have to repay me 20 years.
    I did know I was paying PPI but it was only when I got a copy of my original agreement did I rermember I was self employed at the time and my employers address was the same as my home address. I queried this as 20 years ago it was not so clear that it would have been of no benefit to me. Has been going on for quite a while but just waiting to see how much:j now. I have done it myself with the help of FOS

good luck, i doubt you will see much of that until you provide statements as they wont hold credit card statements go that far back.
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    With regards to the personal responsibility point.

Yes, clearly we should all be responsible for our own actions however that should not mean that financial businesses should be allowed to take latent advantage of people who aren't quite savvy with it.

It's all very well sitting up on a high horse and saying "I didn't fall for PPI so if you did then you're an idiot and deserve to loose out".

Quite simply not everyone are blessed with high intelligence, I'd warrant that plenty of people with good intelligence got stung by mis-selling or various financial products. Then there are vulnerable people, people with learning difficulties or mental illness... Do they deserve to be taken advantage of because they didn't understand?

My own position is that I assumed that I ought to take out the PPI when it was offered to me. It didn't occur to me that my employment already covered me for what the PPI was designed to do, I didn't realise that I was paying money for something that I not only didn't need but would't have worked anyway! When I was enlightened to that I wondered why on earth was I paying them money for basically nothing.. and more to the point why were they taking my money for nothing?

So yes, personal responsibility is all very well and good, but it doesn't absolve the role of the saleman providing sound advice.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • sadsod
    sadsod Posts: 4 Newbie
    I had claimed 3 times on my mortgage protection but still got back the difference between what i had paid and what they had paid me when I claimed.
    Its 15 yrs since we took out our mortgage and got PPI it was in my husbands name, he had had a bypass and off work for 3 months then he got cancer and off work for 12 month then 3 months before he died.
    Still I claimed and got not a lot but it was better than a kick in the pants as we had claimed over 4K from them since taking it out.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    On what grounds did you claim it was mis-sold, sadsod?
    [Sorry to hear of your loss.]
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    On what grounds did you claim it was mis-sold, sadsod?
    [Sorry to hear of your loss.]

or was it an auto pay out from one of the banks that is paying out on all complaints at the moment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You still need to say why it was missold, though, don't you?
  • dunstonh
    You still need to say why it was missold, though, don't you?

Yes. However, with the auto-upholders, they tend to check none of the reasons and you could put anything. Indeed, any bog standard template letter would work. Halifax are by far the most common one for auto refunding.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sadsod
    sadsod Posts: 4 Newbie
    When we originaly bought the policy they refused to cover my husband but insisted we take PPI in my name.
    I was employed in a job where I would have got full pay for 6 months and half pay for 6 months.
    My husband was about to be made redundant from the armed forces and Once he was in a new job we changed it to him only. Hence the claim
  • dunstonh
    sadsod wrote: »
    When we originaly bought the policy they refused to cover my husband but insisted we take PPI in my name.
    I was employed in a job where I would have got full pay for 6 months and half pay for 6 months.
    My husband was about to be made redundant from the armed forces and Once he was in a new job we changed it to him only. Hence the claim

So, it looks like you got lucky with an auto pay-out decision then. The 6 months full pay/6 months half pay argument works on the types of policy that wont pay out if you get sick pay. Not on those that will. You said you had been paid out on three claims. So, clearly your policy is one that would pay out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure