New to Cable TV

I have only ever had Sky TV through the Sky satellite dish. I have a sky+ box plus a Humax recorder. I am shortly to move into a new flat and I understand that it is served by cable with services provided by Virgin media.

I have no idea how this all works. Is it possible to run the sky+ box or Humax through cable network or do I have to get a new set top box? Will I still be able to have two channels at once (I mean watch one channel whilst recording another?

Would I be able to opt for Sky or would I have to subscribe only to Virgin?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Bradfield wrote: »
    Is it possible to run the sky+ box or Humax through cable network
    No, Virgin provide their own decoder (which does allow you to record and view at the same time).
    Would I be able to opt for Sky or would I have to subscribe only to Virgin?
    If Sky is available in your new abode then you can elect to continue with them. You are not forced to use any particular provider unless the Landlord will not allow a dish to be installed at the property. If you want to stay with Sky then you should avail yourself of Sky's free House Move service.
  • Bradfield
    Bradfield Posts: 222 Forumite
    No, Virgin provide their own decoder (which does allow you to record and view at the same time).

If Sky is available in your new abode then you can elect to continue with them. You are not forced to use any particular provider unless the Landlord will not allow a dish to be installed at the property. If you want to stay with Sky then you should avail yourself of Sky's free House Move service.

Thanks. I viewed the property last week and somehow forgot to ask about the TV reception. I am just going to check out the google street view to see if I can spot a satellite dish outside.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I am just going to check out the google street view to see if I can spot a satellite dish outside.
    That won't be an issue as long as Sky are not prevented from fitting a new one by your Landlord.
  • Well, there does not seem to be a sky dish outside the property. However, I have just checked out the virgin bundles and the "Big Kahuna" seems to offer everything I had with sky, plus BT sports channels, plus the ability to record three channels. For a total of £51 per month. No extra charge for HD channels. Cannot see the point in troubling sky.
  • Bradfield wrote: »
    Cannot see the point in troubling sky.
    Your Sky+ box and Humax will of course become redundant without a dish.
  • Bradfield
    Your Sky+ box and Humax will of course become redundant without a dish.

That is what I have to take into consideration. Virgin supply a 500gb Tivo set top box. I assume it is free. They mention a £45 setup fee. I don't mind the fee but I usually sort these things out myself. Is it necessary for them to set it up? Does one of their engineers have to call to the premises to do it?
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Virgin setup can not be done on your own and requires an Engineer.

however, often when you get one of thier bundles, they will waive the setup fee.

Alot of thier new customer offers can also include free setup (but not always)
  • Bradfield wrote: »
    That is what I have to take into consideration. Virgin supply a 500gb Tivo set top box. I assume it is free. They mention a £45 setup fee. I don't mind the fee but I usually sort these things out myself. Is it necessary for them to set it up? Does one of their engineers have to call to the premises to do it?

The Virgin boxes are not free, they are rented to the end user. A large amount of the deals don't charge a fee for the lease of the box, some do.

Just remember that when you are done with Virgin they will want the box back in acceptable condition. As long as you avoid decorating your box with stickers or paint (which I have heard people have done) your box will be in acceptable condition.
  • Bradfield
    Thanks for all the replies. It has become a lot clearer now. Any idea how long it would take for the engineer to come out? I have to plan in advance because my new flat is a fair distance away and I will have to ensure I am there on the day.
  • Could anyone clarify this for me please?

Virgin Media advertise the "Big Kahuna" as "£35 a month for 12 months.Free installation online only. +Virgin phone line for £15.99 per month."

If I dont want a phone line could I get the Big Kahuna package for just the £35 a month?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport