PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Oh yes - I was trying not to be jealous Farway. Can't say I succeeded:rotfl:

Years back I decided my garden on Final House was going to include a fig tree and grapevine. I've been told neither will do really on the garden of the house I ended up buying.

Off to do a bit more of something constructive (ie housework:rotfl:) and think some positive thoughts about "It's not over until the fat lady sings". Well - I had a premium bond win the other day (first one since moving here...) - grand total of £25. Only needs to add 4 more noughts to that - and I'll be househunting again - a minor detail:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    figs, oh lovely figs. Amazing sight farway

I was all set for a restful day but first had to sort out a short circuit in a solar lighting supply to my shed, ok I installed it 4 years ago, properly I might add. A wire had worked a bit loose and I sorted it, with a small torch hanging in my mouth. Yesterday a shower door top roller on a curved screen broke into bits, luckily I managed to find some on the net a couple of months ago, there are loads of designs and only one had my type. Put steps on a mat in the shower and spanners and screwdriver in apron pocket and gingerly replaced it yesterday, So I was set for awell deserved relaxing afternoon.

Got an e mail from dd, could the four of them pop in, oh yes I said, knowing that they would be wanting food and I only have sardines, beans and crackers handy. Like a blue whatsit fly, shoved the ingredients for a loaf into the bm, then realised that recipe would take 5 hours, so put it on a different setting and had fingers crossed. They didn`t notice that the dough was slightly soft because it was still warm. Yesterdays hm soup, quickly out and to defrost and my last pint of frozen milk and there is a big dent in my box of parkins. I don`t know how I managed but I did and although cfo is or can be, boring, it is so much easier in many ways ie not having to make a fuss, just eating what is there

I just had stewed apple, blackcurrants and half a yoghurt. I feel full enough because I only had bits all day. Oh no, I forgot, I did have a good breakfast, scrambled eggs on toast at 10. No wonder my tum coped
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kittie wrote: »
    figs, oh lovely figs. Amazing sight farway

I was all set for a restful day but first had to sort out a short circuit in a solar lighting supply to my shed, ok I installed it 4 years ago, properly I might add. A wire had worked a bit loose and I sorted it, with a small torch hanging in my mouth. Yesterday a shower door top roller on a curved screen broke into bits, luckily I managed to find some on the net a couple of months ago, there are loads of designs and only one had my type. Put steps on a mat in the shower and spanners and screwdriver in apron pocket and gingerly replaced it yesterday, So I was set for awell deserved relaxing afternoon.

Got an e mail from dd, could the four of them pop in, oh yes I said, knowing that they would be wanting food and I only have sardines, beans and crackers handy. Like a blue whatsit fly, shoved the ingredients for a loaf into the bm, then realised that recipe would take 5 hours, so put it on a different setting and had fingers crossed. They didn`t notice that the dough was slightly soft because it was still warm. Yesterdays hm soup, quickly out and to defrost and my last pint of frozen milk and there is a big dent in my box of parkins. I don`t know how I managed but I did and although cfo is or can be, boring, it is so much easier in many ways ie not having to make a fuss, just eating what is there

I just had stewed apple, blackcurrants and half a yoghurt. I feel full enough because I only had bits all day. Oh no, I forgot, I did have a good breakfast, scrambled eggs on toast at 10. No wonder my tum coped
    Freezers and some "here's one I made earlier"s are such a blessing when hordes descend ar short notice:D

Decided that I'm stuffing the kievs with garlic roule from the freezer, just need it to defrost a little first:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've had another packet of crisps ...and some more of the chocolates.

The chocs are "seconds" and the last 4-5 bags have not only been considerably smaller, but contain many that are leaking their caramel and stuck together. But they still taste nice... had to eat a clump of 6 of them last time I dipped my hand in as they were stuck together.
  • caronc
    8ozzmys55Apologies for the photo quality

Kievs uncooked

IMG_20170820_202836.jpg
  • caronc
    Kiev cooked thankfully no leakage
    IMG_20170820_212239.jpg
    [IMG]http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/<a href=https://postimg.org/image/lho3mw3qx/ rel=nofollow>[/img]IMG_20170820_212239.jpg
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yesterday I ate the WHOLE pizza and the WHOLE cheesecake (375g).

Oh well ... that happens sometimes doesn't it.
    Sometimes you just got to go with what you fancy.

At the family do this afternoon/evening my sister in law had done a buffet of sandwiches, sausage rolls, pork pies, different quiches, cold meats, pate and salads and breads/rolls for savoury and we had scones and cream/jam, 8 different cakes, trifle, and tiramisu as well.

I ate far more than I should have, and I think I tried far too many of the cakes, some tiramisu and a scone :D. I feel rather stuffed now.

There was loads left over and my brother was just filling up plastic containers and cutting great chunks of cake off for me to bring home. I've got loads in the freezer and intend to have a 'picky' dinner of some of the savoury stuff tomorrow.

So I'm sure I will over indulge again tomorrow :).
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Farway wrote: »

Also spotted some ripe figs, so ripe they are bursting with lusciousness. I had 3 there and then, sweet as sugar & warmed in the sun.

Here they are
    Fig-_Aug-2017.jpg
    Those figs look lovely Farway.

It sounds like you had a good day even if you didn't get your eggs Benedict.

You got some nice produce from the farmers market, I hope that it is all good quality and tasty.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    no idea today, none at all, I need a brainless day, was tired yesterday. Had a slice off `that` loaf this morning. Didn`t enjoy it. Not much left, so it is out for the birds. I have soaked oats and stewed apple and got zillions of berries and nuts and do like this mix with some yoghurt, later

Thank goodness for making ratatouille, again, kept some in the fridge and will be nice cold with halloumi but really cba today, it will be bits. Enforced no-driving too as there is a car problem, only allowed x miles as it has to go in again in 14 days and I am desparately needed for emergency babysitting 42 miles away in 10 days. I will manage it with 8 miles to spare, which I will need to drive it to the dealership. Could ask neighbours to run me about but will be positive about this enforced `rest` and no real hardship as I have made an organic online order for any necessities this week
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2017 at 7:26AM
    caronc wrote: »
    Apologies for the photo quality

No need to apologise!

Food photography is an art ... most food in books/online(pro) are cold and staged and tweaked for hours, with all the background/lighting established and staged and fixed.

Some people have the motivation or the luck to set up one spot and a box of accessories to photograph it with ....

For us mere mortals it's "snap ... here it is, I'm in a hurry and am working in my murky kitchen as I just want to cook/eat these" - and it's nigh on impossible to make anything look good.

:)

I'm sure if you'd spent a few weeks planning the presentation, going out to buy "the right" plate/worktop piece, angle, lighting .... then had top quality lighting set up at just the right angle ... and spent 20 minutes photographing them, they'll have been spot on :)

Yesterday my total intake ended up being:
    - 1 burger, 1 bread roll, ketchup
    - 3 packets of Cheese/onion crisps
    - 100grams chocolates
    - 1 bowl of honey/nut cornflakes.

I suspect somebody banging the "healthy eating" drum would be calling for medical assistance about now, just for reading that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure