"Wardrobing" - wearing then retuning - anyone found an answer?

Comments

• F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    There was an article a few years ago about Bloomingdales adding these tags due to this type of problem. Ebay makes it too easy for buyers to do this and having free returns by claiming an item is faulty makes it even easier.

I think having these tags will help but not stop the problem. If your listings make it clear about no returns being accepted if they're removed, it should deter someone thinking about doing it. It won't deter any serial abusers though.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,575 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    soolin wrote: »
    I can't see how that helps at all though as a plastic bag is not going to stop someone, I assume everyone already sends clothes packed carefully in bags anyway and not just loose in the packaging .

Because this way the buyer can't claim they 'didn't even open' the item....
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Marcon wrote: »
    Because this way the buyer can't claim they 'didn't even open' the item....

I'm probably missing something but I still can't see how that helps. If it's a change of mind return then there is no requirement for item to be returned unwrapped, a change of mind can still be made if someone tries on something and finds it too small or too 'whatever'. eBay wouldn't care at all if a business seller tried to refuse a return on the basis his plastic bag had been opened.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Moogles44 wrote: »

I'm trying to find tags or clips that also can be attached to the clothes that I see that can't be hidden up a sleeve or detached and then replaced to return after buyer has worn item out.

I see America has these shark tags about 30p each which I would even get but you can't get them here . Has any one seen anything like that here or found an answer . Even over the last few months I've noticed this wardrobing increasing and the cost in postage lost is really adding up and it's just so wrong!

How about the 'make your own' approach? Take a cardboard parcel label (the sort that's on a string and the hole is reinforced with a washer) and stick on a self-adhesive address label with words to the effect 'please don't remove this tag until you are sure you wish to buy, or a return cannot be accepted' - saves you writing it all out by hand every time.

Remove the string which came with the tag and replace it with your own 'homemade string' - say 'string' made from six strands of sewing cotton, all of different colours, so rather harder to copy than just one colour. Tie this through a button hole or through a zipper tag and then knot if firmly, so it could only be removed by cutting the string - which is then too short to retie. If there's no button hole, zipper tag or other handy 'hole', stitch it carefully to an inside seam - somewhere too uncomfortable for the garment to be worn without removing the tag.

Not perfect, but cheap and easy to do, so perhaps worth a try?
  • Moogles44
    Moogles44 Posts: 237 Forumite
    How about the 'make your own' approach? Take a cardboard parcel label (the sort that's on a string and the hole is reinforced with a washer) and stick on a self-adhesive address label with words to the effect 'please don't remove this tag until you are sure you wish to buy, or a return cannot be accepted' - saves you writing it all out by hand every time.

Remove the string which came with the tag and replace it with your own 'homemade string' - say 'string' made from six strands of sewing cotton, all of different colours, so rather harder to copy than just one colour. Tie this through a button hole or through a zipper tag and then knot if firmly, so it could only be removed by cutting the string - which is then too short to retie. If there's no button hole, zipper tag or other handy 'hole', stitch it carefully to an inside seam - somewhere too uncomfortable for the garment to be worn without removing the tag.

Not perfect, but cheap and easy to do, so perhaps worth a try?

Sounds great but I'm so not great at craft and don't have the time to make cards and they probably wouldn't look very professional and I try to make all my stuff look as professional as I can .

Sounds lazy but I just want to buy something that will stop it like those shark tags in America.

Many thnaks though for that suggestion :)
    If you don’t like a thread or post just move on by.

Never a need to be ugly
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    What about something like the plastic liners that you get in the gusset of a new bikini but attached under the armpit? They often have a message about the item being non returnable once they are removed printed on them. They would make it uncomfortable to wear and if they did you at least wouldn't have sweat marks to contend with!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Marcon
    Moogles44 wrote: »
    Sounds great but I'm so not great at craft and don't have the time to make cards and they probably wouldn't look very professional and I try to make all my stuff look as professional as I can .

Sounds lazy but I just want to buy something that will stop it like those shark tags in America.

Many thnaks though for that suggestion :)

Why not get some cards professionally printed - it wouldn't cost any more than buying shark tags, surely? Attaching them to some lengths of multi-coloured cotton wouldn't take long - sounds like a job a youngster might do for some modest pocket money.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Marcon
    FatVonD wrote: »
    What about something like the plastic liners that you get in the gusset of a new bikini but attached under the armpit? They often have a message about the item being non returnable once they are removed printed on them. They would make it uncomfortable to wear and if they did you at least wouldn't have sweat marks to contend with!

How would you attach them?
  • Moogles44
    Marcon wrote: »
    Why not get some cards professionally printed - it wouldn't cost any more than buying shark tags, surely? Attaching them to some lengths of multi-coloured cotton wouldn't take long - sounds like a job a youngster might do for some modest pocket money.

I think they could easily be cut and retied and I need something that more like plastic or more fixed that would be obvious if removed and they couldn't put back.

Never a need to be ugly
  • Moogles44
    FatVonD wrote: »

Even if it doesn't have sweat marks it smells worn and that would give be bad feedback if I didn't re dry clean it .

Stickers won't stop this fraud unfortunately but thank you :)

Never a need to be ugly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport