Close premium finance shocker

MRSPOON_2
MRSPOON_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
Do bear with me as this is complicated. Basically I scrapped my previous car as it was just a complete failiure and with that canceled it's car insurance. The insurance I was paying by installments with close premium finance. I called my insurance broker to let them know about my scrapped car and to cancel the insurance I had got through them. They told me all I needed to do was write them a formal letter and also contact my bank to cancel the direct debit. This was done and I heard no more.

When I found a car I wanted I then called my broker who I use because they get me very decent insurance. To arrange cover this was done and I kick myself now for not paying the insurance off in one go as I had the funds but the broker automatically assumed I would want to pay by instalments and used close premium finance again and set up the agreement after checking my bank details.To be honest I had a lot to arrange with the car and other stuff so I just assumed it was sorted.

Today I recieve a letter from them demanding the direct debit amount plus a penalty charge.I also recieved a notice of default making threats like canceling my insurance and taking me to court. I call them and this girl explains some seriously complicated rubbish about why this has happened I then argued with her and she then spoke to her supervisor and the penalty charge was removed . And the fee was taken from me direct using my card. She then said they need to set up a new direct debit and get my bank details again. She then advised me to check with my bank straight away that they have recieved these instructions. I did and my bank HSBC said they have recieved nothing from them.

Called close premium finance back and spoke to some other guy who didn't understand why my bank had recieved nothing from them but said wait 24 hrs and ask again.

How long would it take my bank to recieve this direct debit instruction from them? was this girl taking out of her !!!! and it will take 24 hrs as this guy said..I am very angry I get such a letter from them as I have never ever got so much as a late payment ever from any debt. and to be honest my insurance company can find me someone else to finance my premium next time or I will pay the lot in one go.No apologies neither.

Comments

• Hi there

You're clearly annoyed here and I can see why but bear with me and I might shed some light.
    Close Premium Finance (CPF) is a highly reputable company and the market leader in providing finance for insurance policies. They are backed by a respectable, well funded and stable parent - Close Brothers. They are used by the majority of insurance brokers in the market who want to offer their customers an easy and affordable way to pay for their insurance requirements.
    To make the renewal process easy, your broker is able to renew your credit facility on a rolling basis as your insurance falls due each year. Most often, one facilitates this by signing a Running Account Credit Agreement.
    It seems that you've been a victim of a timing issue rather than any fault on the part of the broker or CPF. CPF will have retained your direct debit details as part of the credit agreement on the assumption of renewal. Unfortunately, when your broker submitted your new policy for finance you had cancelled the direct debit so when CPF called for the initial instalment it was rejected by your bank. Because of the large volumes of business handled by CPF they will have a significant amount of automation built into their accounting and operational processes and this will have resulted in a letter being sent to you telling you that you were in default. There is a significant cost to businesses of all types in the UK in handling customer defaults and in the majority of cases a charge is levvied to cover these costs and it is usually the policy to do no more than cover costs and not impose charges as a penalty (although it's fair to say that it's not always easy to see it this way).
    In your case it appears that CPF have, quite reasonably on representation from you, waived the charges, allowed you to bring the account up to date and advised you what needed to be done to get things back on track (i.e. reinstate your direct debit).
    Direct debit instructions are sent electronically so it is most likely that the instruction was sent from CPF's systems more or less immediately. However, CPF would have no control over the bank's handling of that instruction once they received it. In most cases one could reasonably expect the bank to have reinstated the direct debit by the end of the next working day. But there is always the possibility, as there is with any complex process, that your bank may not have been able to complete this activity in that timeframe.
    I appreciate that it's frustrating, but you did the right thing by getting in touch and it seems, from my reading of your description of what CPF's people told you, that they did the right thing too.

Sorry if this is a bit wordy but I hope it helps some.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Resurrecting an old thread...work at Close Bros I presume

Close are offered by most brokers not for the customers convenience but to increase the brokers income as they earn a nice fat commission from close and its easier for the broker to adminster one instalment facility than having to handle each of the Insurers different instalement systems. However its mainly about increasing income for the broker.

Most Insurers offer their own instalments schemes which normally have a much much lower interest rate than Close and most do not penalise you if an instalment is not paid.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    MrSJHeath wrote: »
    Close Premium Finance (CPF) is a highly reputable company and the market leader in providing finance for insurance policies.

Let me hazzard a guess who you work for.....

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you had half a brain cell between the two of you it would have been more convincing had you created an account a few months ago and got your post count up then people would be less likely to suss you out.

Plonka's! :rolleyes:
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    PROLIANT wrote: »
    If you had half a brain cell between the two of you it would have been more convincing had you created an account a few months ago and got your post count up then people would be less likely to suss you out.

Plonka's! :rolleyes:

Which two are you referring to here?

The OP created their account two years ago.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • I have had nothing but trouble with close premium finance. Every month they fail to take the money from my account for my insurance. I have set up the direct debit numerous times, They blame the bank the bank blames them and in between i am being charged £40 admin charges every month for it. I would steer well clear!!!!
  • sukki1
    sukki1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    I took out private car insurance with Sureterm Direct on 16th April 10. We had looked at the vehicle on the internet and had arranged insurance in order to drive it home, however when we went to collect the vehicle it was ‘not as described’ and declined to buy it. Sureterm who had arranged the insurance, also had arranged finance with Close Premium Finance. We obviously cancelled the insurance. We purchased another vehicle on the 28th April 10 . (Some two weeks later) Surterm, again arranged the insurance , and advised us that a new direct debit would be arranged via Close Premium Finance, and new direct debit forms would be sent out.

This is when the problems started. Close Premium Finance, attempted to take out the direct debit on the 16th May 10, (this was on the first vehicle which had a separate account number) the direct debit had been cancelled along with the insurance. We assume that the brokers cancelled the direct debit because we had not.

Even though the 2nd vehicle was not purchased until the 28th April, (the request for the first lot of payments via direct payment should have been requested a month later on or about the 28th May) However I received a letter from Close Finance on the 19th May, stating that no payment had received, and that unless it was made by the 3rd of June they would take further action. They included a charge of £40.00 which said was for admin.
    The payment totalling £70.88 was made within the specified time, but I received a letter dated 17th June 10, giving me notice of termination and threatening that my insurance may also be cancelled. – The reason given was that the payment had not been made. Close premium were contacted by telephone but said I had to contact the broker to resolve the matter, Close Premium were not interested when I tried to explain the fact that I had cancelled the first lot of insurance because I had not purchased the vehicle, but had gone on to buy an alternative vehicle, which was insured with the same broker, and financed by Close Premium (under a separate agreement number)
    Close Premium Finance did concede that the payment they had requested for £70.88 had in fact been made , but then gave an alternative reason as to why the agreement had been terminated (because not direct debit had been set up) this was not mentioned anywhere in the letter.
    The brokers Sureterm were contacted, they were very helpful and in fact rang Close Premium Finance whilst I was on the line, but they were given the same reason for the admin charges, that the payment had not been made on time. I have wasted a lot of time and money in telephone calls to Close Premium regarding this. The brokers have advised me that a new direct debit mandate would be sent out ( I wont hold my breath)
  • This company cannot be trusted at all.. They failed to take a direct debit from my bank. When I contacted them I was told they had a problem with the BACS system and some banks had not sent the money or some were just reversing the payment. I asked what was the best thing to do and I was told dont worry just make sure the money is there for the July payment and we will take the June payment to. I said fine not an issue. The DD was set for the end of July.

On 29th July I recieved a letter from CPF stating that due to none payment and repeated attempts to get the money they had cancelled my finance, I also recieved a registered letter from the insurance company stating due to none payment the policy was now cancelled. The insurance company was Falcon (theres another story).

I contacted CPF to be told they would never have told me as per above. I told them that as a result of this I was going to be making a complaint to the ombudsman and requested subject access data, ie a copy of the recordings.

The following day I get a phone call from James of CPF to inform me that the recordings had been listened to and sure enough they had misinformed me, and that Falcon had been contacted to reinstate the policy.

Needless to say I have told them to stick it to be told well you owe 200 quid in cancelation fees. Think not I say and in the wink of an eye they have now written that off.
  • Re my message posted 28th April 2110. Everything sorted. Give Close premium finance theyre due, they followed everything with phone calls and letters and have sorted everything from changing the due date for the direct debits, to re-imbursing the £40.00 admin fee. Sureterm Insurance also were very helpful. Again credit where credits due. (Pardon the Pun) Paul Cascarina Head of Operations dealt with everything and was very helpful in this matter
  • Just remember one thing everyone.... Make sure you keep your DD for this in perfect working order and DONT cancel the insurance because of the fees. It's a dumb way to save money.
    Thats how the system works wheather we like it or not I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure