British gas collective to standard oct 2017

Options
ThreeLions
ThreeLions Posts: 6 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 August 2017 at 11:24AM in Energy
Hi everyone

I know it's a bit late for 2017 now we've all come off the Britsh Gas Collective Tariff but how many would we need to do one in 2018?

This last one was fantastic from Martin but I know all good things have to come to an end and the great fuel rip off to start again :D

Until I got my letter this morning I forgot all about it.

Comments

• kashavsehra
    Options
    Got my email too :-(

Perfect timing for MSE to run another collective campaign please ;-)
  • Unicorn_cottage
    Options
    I thought it didn't end until October 3rd?

I'm holding our for an announcement from Martin's Cheap Energy Club in September....although there are no promises..."We also hope to run another collective switch soon. We've no details yet, but fingers crossed that we'll have one for you in September. Watch this space..."

The projections in the email from BG are depressing!!! Would be another £500 a year - yikes!!!
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • brutus6
    brutus6 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I am on the MSE BG collective switch Oct 17. Like many of you, I am hoping for an MSE collective switch in September.

However, if nothing announced I think I will go with the cheapest variable deal available on 15th September (which for me is Bulb at the moment), so I can do another switch at any time during the year.
  • caveat_emptor
    Options
    My fix ends 3 October and new BG tarrifs 'they cannot be serious'.
    Emailed MSE Energy Club asking about new collectives and awaiting an answer.
    Trouble with new suppliers is lack of feedback.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

Just got my BG letter. At least it spells out exactly how much more I will pay on their standard tariff.

Based on my exact consumption for the last 12 months my gas increases by 46.5% and electricity by 57.8% - a total additional expenditure of £648. - assuming no price changes over the next 12 months.

Their Fixed to August 2019 tariff is marginally cheaper than their Standard tariff at 'only' an extra expenditure of £626.

Using a comparison website getting gas and electricity from different suppliers I can get both for 'only' 9% more than the BG 03 Oct collective - £111extra in my case
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Emailed MSE Energy Club asking about new collectives and awaiting an answer.
    Trouble with new suppliers is lack of feedback.

Have a read of this and other related threads on the subject of another COMPETITIVE MSE CEC collective switch. The market has changed dramatically over the last 12 months. You really need to do your own whole market comparison:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5695136
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brutus6 wrote: »
    I am on the MSE BG collective switch Oct 17. Like many of you, I am hoping for an MSE collective switch in September.

However, if nothing announced I think I will go with the cheapest variable deal available on 15th September (which for me is Bulb at the moment), so I can do another switch at any time during the year.

This is my plan too. Bulb have no exit fees, and my friends who have switched to them rate them highly.

So BRITISH GAS - IF YOU ARE READING THIS - you are going to loose a lot of customers if you don't have a decent tariff for the MSE Cheap Energy Club. :money:;)
  • Trevor_Churcher
    Options
    Just got my reminder from British Gas , phoned them up to discuss , they did not want to play ball and wish to impose a 40% hike.
    They can take a running jump as far as I am concerned , when can we expect a new switch ?
  • Digital_Dan
    Options
    Hi

I'm in the same situation. The thing is I have, and would like to retain, a smart meter.

My meter is situated in a gully at the front of the property; which is difficult for me to access as I have arthritis. Previous suppliers said they would send meter readers out; but frequently didn't. And sometimes the meter readers would just walk away rather than faff around and I'd end up with estimated readings. The smart meter has been real boon for me.

I live in North Essex and wonder how many other suppliers are in a position to offer their own smart meters and how does one find out?

Its absolutely insane that the government didn't stipulate that smart meters should operate with all suppliers.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The huge differences people are quoting are not realistic as anyone having taken a fix would be very unlikely to return to a standard variable rate (unless for house move purposes), knowing that the latter rates are much more expensive.

Another reason for the big difference is that people on the BG fix have been shielded from the large general increase, which began some months ago, in prices across other suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure