My time has finally come......

Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is that so?

Maybe I didn't push them or explain why I wanted the extension? You see that is one of my many problems, not explaining things properly and feeling intimidated when speaking to those in authority over the phone. I am fine with letters but not phone calls.
    I just asked how long would they give me and he said 7 days, I said OK. He should have said 14 then or asked me why I wanted the extension.

You should not criticise people who are not as good on the phone as you are

Never had to push - just ask nicely and explain. And mostly it has been clients who actually made the phone call

Not criticising - just pointing out a fact.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is that so?

Maybe I didn't push them or explain why I wanted the extension? You see that is one of my many problems, not explaining things properly and feeling intimidated when speaking to those in authority over the phone. I am fine with letters but not phone calls.
    I just asked how long would they give me and he said 7 days, I said OK. He should have said 14 then or asked me why I wanted the extension.

You should not criticise people who are not as good on the phone as you are
    I was always brought up being told "if you don't ask, you don't get" seems like this is the case here too.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2017 at 7:07PM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Never had to push - just ask nicely and explain. And mostly it has been clients who actually made the phone call

Not criticising - just pointing out a fact.

I did ask nicely but I never thought of telling them why and they never asked, I just assumed that you get a fixed term for everybody.

"Hi is it at all possible that I can have an extension to the date that the PIP2 has to be submitted by - yes I can give you an extra 7 days - thankyou"
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I was always brought up being told "if you don't ask, you don't get" seems like this is the case here too.

As I have said I did ask and accepted what was offered in the belief that it was the normal number of days that everyone gets

I wonder if I can complain to the DWP for not giving me 14 days that everyone else seems to get? If they had offered the 14 days I would have been able to go to the pre arranged appointment with the Welfare Rights people and have 2 spare days to get the PIP2 back to them. As it is I had to get someone in the local jobcentre to help me go through the form.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    I did ask nicely but I never thought of telling them why and they never asked, I just assumed that you get a fixed term for everybody.

"Hi is it at all possible that I can have an extension to the date that the PIP2 has to be submitted by - yes I can give you an extra 7 days - thankyou"

As I have said I did ask and accepted what was offered in the belief that it was the normal number of days that everyone gets

I wonder if I can complain to the DWP for not giving me 14 days that everyone else seems to get? If they had offered the 14 days I would have been able to go to the pre arranged appointment with the Welfare Rights people and have 2 spare days to get the PIP2 back to them. As it is I had to get someone in the local jobcentre to help me go through the form.

Yet on this thread you clearly stated you were refused a 14 day extension that you knew others got

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5203169&page=4#topofpage
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    Yet on this thread you clearly stated you were refused a 14 day extension that you knew others got

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5203169&page=4#topofpage

Here is what I said saving others the time and trouble looking it up

I did as suggested earlier on here. The PIP help line gave me 7 days. That makes the date for the forms to be sent back as 12th February - still 5 days before I have the appointment with the advice centre. They refused the 14 application that someone on here suggested was the norm.

As you well know I didn't want to ask for any extension. But after continually being told on this site that I should and that others had asked and had been given 14 days I did ask the DWP.
    I was offered 7 days which I believed was the norm (and not the 14 days as others had said).
    I had no reason to question the offer, it was given without me having to explain anything.
    Now I hear that 14 days is the norm.
    So I question then why was I only offered 7 days eh?
    The only reason that I can come up with is that (a) I didn't push the matter, (b) didn't argue that I wanted 14 days and (c) didn't actually explain to the DWP why I would have liked 14 days for obvious reasons.

Being told on here what happens then finding out from the DWP something different who am I supposed to believe? This website or the DWP?
    As it turned out the DWP were in the wrong and should have offered 14 days.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Indeed

But did you actually ask them for a 14 day extension? Because that's not what you said in #34. If you didn't ask they can't have refused it

Certainly, in your position, I would have pointed out, nicely, that I had the chance of an appointment to be given help with the form completion on the 17th.
  • rockingbilly
    edited 20 February 2017 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Indeed

But did you actually ask them for a 14 day extension? Because that's not what you said in #34. If you didn't ask they can't have refused it

Certainly, in your position, I would have pointed out, nicely, that I had the chance of an appointment to be given help with the form completion on the 17th.

No I didn't mention any length of time. Believing that there is a fixed figure (surely it's not up for negotiation or barter) I just accepted what they offered. You are correct, I never asked for 14 days, they never offered 14 days is more to the point - I went by what they offered. In my language being told first of all that I would be given 14 days but in reality was only offered 7 to me that equates to being refused what others had been saying I should get.
    As for going into a discussion about why I wanted the extension and what it was for had no bearing on the matter. If it is in fact up for negotiation then the onus should be on the DWP to ask 'what length of time would you want and why'.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    When I first claimed DLA I had no idea how to complete the forms and so asked for help....(well, technically it was Mum who phoned and asked)...we had a local DIAL at the time and they were fully booked - it was THEY who phoned the DWP for me and explained they would be helping me with the forms, but had no appointment for a week or so..and the DWP gave the extension.

I have many issues with the system...but have to acknowledge that getting an extension to the deadline for returning the forms is not one of them.

But - you HAVE to ask ...or get someone to ask for you!
  • rockingbilly
    edited 20 February 2017 at 5:11PM
    Options
    When I first claimed DLA I had no idea how to complete the forms and so asked for help....(well, technically it was Mum who phoned and asked)...we had a local DIAL at the time and they were fully booked - it was THEY who phoned the DWP for me and explained they would be helping me with the forms, but had no appointment for a week or so..and the DWP gave the extension.

I have many issues with the system...but have to acknowledge that getting an extension to the deadline for returning the forms is not one of them.

But - you HAVE to ask ...or get someone to ask for you!

I did as you well know, but didn't know that I could have got more than 7 days if I had have asked for it On that basis as it seems to be negotiable I should have asked for another 6 weeks! That would have meant at the time that I would get another 4 weeks of DLA payment extra! I could have used the story that I was going on holiday the day after and it would be three weeks before I got home. Then the unpacking and getting myself back in to looking at the form again - yes 6 weeks would suit. I do wonder what they would have said?

On the question of deadlines have you ever had an extension to the 30 days they give you to send/lodge further information regarding a claim? Just interested as I was stitched up with that once and they closed my claim down for failure to provide information within the required timeframe.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a quick update on the DLA to PiP trannsfer....

I ws getting a bit antsy about the time it was taking. I had sent my forms off weeks ago - and was on tenterhooks every day waiting for the postman to come.

(I get really anxious!)

So, the letter finally came - and s expected, I was called for a face-to-face. ....and they wanted me to travel to an assessment cente. Well, that is just NOT going to happen. My application for explained (in some detail) about my issues with travelling anywhere.

Mu mum/carer phoned and asked if a home visit was possible - and was told outright no. it is not possible.....she was told that unless I was bed-ridden then there is absolutely no option for a home visit. The person on the phone was REALLY insistent....eventually, they suggested that instead of travelling by bus/train then we could go by taxi and claim back the expenses. (To be exact, PART of the expense)....Mum said this was just not possible, and ended the call.

THe next day she phoned again - and spoke to someone else...they again said an initial no to the request for a home visit - but Mum was equally insistent. She explained the travel issues and they agreed to reconsider.

Cue more anxiety from me as we waited for the letter....

Today it arrived...I have been granted a home-visit!....Another letter will follow with the date - we have been warned that it may be VERY short notice.

It does seem to show that they ARE prepared to accomodate needs such as home-based assessments...but you HAVE to be insistent (and stay calm!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure