Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds lovely especially the veggie chili ..yummy.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Glad it went well :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sounds like a great weekend KK and the leftovers sound lovely too :)

Have a good week!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Sounds like a great weekend!

Glad you are feeling better KK.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sounds like a fantastic weekend , kk :) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2017 at 7:24PM
    Hi all, yes it was a fab weekend. Just about caught up with sleep now!

Had a rather eventful evening today- popped to the gym with the gf and met our friend there. I got into my running stride and hit 4.36km when disaster struck....my headphone felt loose so I took it out only to find the silicone ear bud was lodged in my ear. I jumped off the treadmill and wandered over to gf and friend (who didn't believe me at first), left the gym and went home to parents who tried using tweezers but it was dead painful, so went to local surgery to be told to go to walk in center. Waited there for two hours for the lady to use mahooooosive tweezers to pull the earbud around and eventually out.

She advised the ear will be red and inflamed for a while but shouldn't be any lasting issues. How mortifying :eek:

As it was so late we stopped at subway and used our reward points to get a six inch sub each for free and came home. Other than the point spending it was a NSD. We had pizzas for lunch on wrap bases using leftover salsa, cheese, avocado etc also managed to 'use up' 4 of those white chocolate ferrero rocher (Raffaelos!) as I'm being so frugal :A :rotfl:
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Nice way to use up the wraps etc...

Hope the inflammation dies down soon...

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 17 January 2017 at 9:54PM
    Went back into the gym tonight (avoided eye contact with The gym manager that I went to last night but that couldn't give me tweezers for insurance reasons) and did a good workout. Ten minute run, 50 minutes on the stepper & ten minutes on the bike so a little tired now....annoyingly my Fitbit doesn't register the activity on the stepper weirdly so thinks I was inactive when in reality I was sweating like anything!

Took soup and a flatbread from the freezer into work for lunch today and a lone cookie leftover from the weekend. Nipped to Tescos for some eggs for the week, ham and some part bake rolls so only £4 spent instead of the usual budgeted £40, so a £36 saving.
    Dinner is freezer stuffs: pizza express mezaluna dish, Linda Macartney cheese plait and the bread rolls and salad stuffs...yum yum yum!

I want to try making my own version of the mezalune dish one evening, but make extra to pop in the freezer for convenience...not sure when I'll get a chance to try the dish...popping it on here as a reminder to me in a few weeks (we both love aubergine and it feels like a way of having comfort food like lasagne but less carbs!)

Small tilly tidies from the joint account made, money put into savings instead of the credit card (whilst it's still 0%!) and from my bills account as won't need my car insurance & MOT money until Sept/Oct so it may as well be in savings getting interest rather than in my bills account with no interest.

Carpet man coming on Friday, and waiting on the quote from the plumber to install the hot water mixer tap as hoping to get both of those ticked off the list this month. House sellers came to fix the front door as we complained about it being so drafty so hopefully be cheaper bills.

We've been debating housing alarms and cameras recently, our friends who've bought the same house are getting the Verisure system which looks all rather swanky but is £350 install and then £44 per month for the security care which sounds a lot to me....I'm saving the John Lewis vouchers to possibly get the Nest cameras but will continue to debate until we have enough funds. I've seen a Panasonic set which is cheaper and I think covers all the things we need. Will continue to think on it and look at cheaper DIY alternatives too....
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Morning morning lovelies! Just having ten minutes to cool down after blow drying my hair- not sure why it feels like a very hot workout whenever I do it!?:D

Yesterday I went into the office and spends were on a birthday card (£1) and then I (half) filled my car for the first time in ages...not filed up since 20th December! I have however put money into the girlfriends car for shared journeys to see family etc so not totally frugal!

Our downstairs toilet is still blocked from the weekend :( we have tried two goes with soda crystals & boiling water, and now the water is draining away quicker but is still rising up when you flush...will have to google ways to unblock toilets without spending lots of pennies. (Snigger)

Have a site meeting today so free lunch (WOOP) & going to have a Starbucks on route as a small reward for the gymming :)

Told friend we aren't going to go with Verisure alarms....it all sounds rather expensive, plus people we don't know who are customers of Verisure seem very keen to sign us up (like people who go into gfs parents shop etc!) so not sure if they do a very good referral bonus or whether it's something a little more pyramid-y....

Small tilly tidy yesterday but otherwise not much movement. Mortgage payment should go out tomorrow but not sure we're doing the monthly round up (an adddiruonsl £89) as gf is tightening her belt a little more over the next few months as tenants are moving out of her flat and new tenants not yet found...:o

Going to attempt to visit IKEA tonight after my meetings to take back lots of bits and bobs...will see how I get on

Best go get ready and make myself presentable...I'd much rather snuggle back in bed
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    After a break in here I looked at various systems and finally worked out what I really needed to feel secure which was not an alarm at all in the end but a CCTV camera so I could look out and around without leaving the house. We do have an alarm but I rarely remember to set it :) The barn has an alarm set permanently however that we installed ourselves and was a great bargin and the only fees are a payg telephone so "barny" the barn alarm can text us if he is "interfered with" :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback