Accident at work

2»

Comments

• Sorry, but I don't agree with this. The employer has a duty of care. Did they have effective policies insisting that any spill be reported and cleaned up promptly? Apparently not.

I understand that you are not suing them and I'm sure I'd feel the same, but in fact you need to retain that option to cover the unlikely event that there are long term repercussions from your accident, so don't go promising them you won't sue.

And yes, of course you have a strong case for this not to be recorded as sick leave.
    Employers can have policies in place all they want, if the employee can't be arsed to follow them it makes it the much more difficult!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Employers can have policies in place all they want, if the employee can't be arsed to follow them it makes it the much more difficult!

Agreed, which is why policies have to do more than just exist - they have to be policed and reinforced. Hence my term 'EFFECTIVE policies'.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Agreed, which is why policies have to do more than just exist - they have to be policed and reinforced. Hence my term 'EFFECTIVE policies'.

Difficult when no doubt no one takes responsibility for the spilla and the employer can't prove who was negligent....
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Difficult when no doubt no one takes responsibility for the spilla and the employer can't prove who was negligent....

Then it becomes the employers problem with respect of negligence.

Too many employers believe they are legally compliant by having reams of paper documentation such as risk assessments, safe systems of work, SOP's etc....all of which are meaningless if the safety culture of the workplace is poor and are consequently ignored.

Adopting a positive safety culture/climate needs to be driven by the employer and ensuring everyone in the organisation buys into it.

With respect to the OP's situation where someone has contaminated a stairway with some spillage, I would investigate as to why someone would place a colleague (or even themselves) at risk by not clearing up after them.

There could be many reasons such as challenging workloads, lack of risk perception or even something simple that the person being totally unaware they had spilled something.

Of course it could be difficult to pin down the culprit, but not so hard to gauge the safety culture of a business.

Ultimately, the buck stops with the controlling mind of the business.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Listen, any manager worth their salt would give a candidate the benefit of the doubt if the circumstances were explained.

If you end up getting knocked back purely based on the "bradford score" then I think that sums up the workplace...

Mind you, I used to work in a call center and there were a lot of small time managers who used the bradford score to exclude people from jobs. I only got promoted due to the fact that an intelligent and compassionate manager saw me for my talent and not my numbers (my call quality often held me back! As if how I handled being shouted at by the general public day in day out would determine how well I did at totally unrelated jobs..). So I sympathise with you in some respects...
  • Whether you want it or not, the employer has a duty to report it under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Whether you want it or not, the employer has a duty to report it under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.

Which is correct of course - providing the type of injury or the period of time off work because of it, comes under the remit of the regulations you alluded to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure