Want to join police force, but have suffered depression in past.

HI All,

So this might be a little long. any serving police officers here or medics advice would be appreciated.

So while I was studying in Uni and I got depressed and it was severe depression. I had it for around 1 year (I was ok during holidays, but came back on during uni) I also had family issues which I still do have to this day.

I just graduated recently as a software programmer and to be honest I've been working on computers since college I have just had enough, it's not my career I enjoy it, I love problem solving and coding, but it's not what I want. I've always wanted to be a police officer. I need something active.

I last saw my Dr last September and been off meds since March last year, I started volunteering as a first aider at the end of 2015, to get me out of the house, and it is good fun! Emergency service is something I'd like to do, and policing is my particular interests at the moment.

My force will be recruiting soon, I am wondering whether I should apply now or wait for another year or two? And do I have any chance of getting in? Military police rejected me but that's pretty obvious as their criteria is much tougher than civilian police. My Dr had no concerns with me joining the army, as I did get better and changed things around by just keep busy all the time and the volunteering, but I did have Dark and worrying moments..

I am still in early 20s, so I got a lot too look forward to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi
    Have you thought about volunteering as a Special. It could give you an insight as to how your force operates and you could "test the water" so to speak to find if the job is really "you"
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • tealady wrote: »
    Hi
    Have you thought about volunteering as a Special. It could give you an insight as to how your force operates and you could "test the water" so to speak to find if the job is really "you"
    HTH

Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that's what my plan is at the moment.
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    Do you stand to lose anything by applying now? Is there anyone within the force that you could speak to on an informal basis just to get some sort of idea of their recruitment policy with regard to past health issues?
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Most people apply to the police force more than once before they are successful. I know someone that applied four times, he's now been in the job twenty years and is an inspector. Take this opportunity to apply and see how the process works, and for each stage you pass it's more experience for next time.

Previous mental health issues are not a bar to being a police officer, each applicant will be considered on a case by case basis. They may have concerns about your family problems, depending on what they are, if for instance they leave you vulnerable to being manipulated or bribed. Again, they'll look at your individual circumstances before making a decision.

(I'm not suggesting anyone applies four times now. In the current climate that could take twenty years!)
  • Unknown30 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that's what my plan is at the moment.

Son is currently going through the training for the specials having been rejected on his 1st application for the regulars.

Training is much the same as the regulars though obviously more condensed but it will give him an insight as to the job itself.

Two things I'd mention

1) does your force need the knowledge of policing certificate?

2) bear in mind should you fail at the assessment centre, you can't apply to any force for 6 months. That's why son is going into the specials - to give me experience that he can apply to any scenario they throw at him at any future assessment centre
  • Im not an officer or medic but I hope its ok to give my opinion. I've been through the process and was successful ( although didn't actually start in the end due to meeting my husband!). I'm also from a police family so have a bit of understanding. In my force there was a series of written exams, role plays, physical exercise test and then a medical. Of course there are background checks and they asked to see my medical records. It was a bit stressful but I felt a great sense of achievement upon acceptance.
    My personal feeling is they will most probably discover your health issues which may not be a barrier if its historic and you are upfront. I'd be more worried about you in yourself, rather than worrying if you will be selected or not. Obviously the role of a police officer is really challenging mentally. My own police officer family member suffered stress in the job as did many of his colleagues. Might it be too soon? Your episode is still recent and you say you have current family issues. Whatever that is, you can bet you will have to deal with similar in the job. Might that cause you undue stress?
    I'd say leave it until you are really sure and feel mentally ready with fewer doubts. Joining a little bit older can be really beneficial. Life experience is priceless and your own mental health experience will be very useful. Many offenders have mental health issues for example.
    I agree with the suggestion to volunteer as a special. Get training on that nasty bleep test too!
    You are young and have many many years of work ahead. Nobody knows what the future holds but I feel its better to go into the job a little later fully prepared and hopefully have a wonderful career than rush in and make yourself unwell. Most recruits don't join from college, late twenties or thirties is more common so you wont be the odd one out.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
  • Im not an officer or medic but I hope its ok to give my opinion. I've been through the process and was successful ( although didn't actually start in the end due to meeting my husband!). I'm also from a police family so have a bit of understanding. In my force there was a series of written exams, role plays, physical exercise test and then a medical. Of course there are background checks and they asked to see my medical records. It was a bit stressful but I felt a great sense of achievement upon acceptance.
    My personal feeling is they will most probably discover your health issues which may not be a barrier if its historic and you are upfront. I'd be more worried about you in yourself, rather than worrying if you will be selected or not. Obviously the role of a police officer is really challenging mentally. My own police officer family member suffered stress in the job as did many of his colleagues. Might it be too soon? Your episode is still recent and you say you have current family issues. Whatever that is, you can bet you will have to deal with similar in the job. Might that cause you undue stress?
    I'd say leave it until you are really sure and feel mentally ready with fewer doubts. Joining a little bit older can be really beneficial. Life experience is priceless and your own mental health experience will be very useful. Many offenders have mental health issues for example.
    I agree with the suggestion to volunteer as a special. Get training on that nasty bleep test too!
    You are young and have many many years of work ahead. Nobody knows what the future holds but I feel its better to go into the job a little later fully prepared and hopefully have a wonderful career than rush in and make yourself unwell. Most recruits don't join from college, late twenties or thirties is more common so you wont be the odd one out.

I'd like to add that, in the case of my son, I felt that it would be the wrong thing for him to have been successful the first time round.

Having seen him change, just doing the specials training, I feel very differently.

Thank You everyone for your replies.

I think I am rushing, I'll wait maybe 1/2 years, continue with my ambulance volunteering and then if I wish join police force. In the mean time I guess it will give me some time to get physically fit (Although I am quite fit, but can't lift much!). I know that college of policing is change the rules though at some point I think 2018/9 where new recruits will have to do a course..

So for now I'll stick with my software dev stuff and volunteering (I bet i'll end up as EMT instead :rotfl: ) ...wonders of life...
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My cousin's son applied to the police force, some years ago and was refused. He's now a solicitor so financially miles better off.
  • Why did he get rejected? I don't think police force is about money, I just wish to do it because it's something in me.

I'm financially stable earning £34 as graduated Dev, rises next year..some might say I must be mad trying to change career to low paid job...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure