Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some up the main areas in a couple of bullet points then you might get some help, time is a very precious commodity.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to say your letter was far, far too long. Customer Service staff have 30 seconds to read and push the relevant button to send an answer and this will get lost in the system.

Why on earth didn't you book direct flights to Miami in the first place? Sadly your claim is against Iberia not BA as that was the carrier involved so start again, short letter with details of original flight timings and actual arrival in Miami together with any food or accommodation costs incurred. No point in any of the 'he said, she said' which I am sure was frustrating beyond belief but doesn't increase your entitlement by a single penny.

I am not trying to be rude or unhelpful but your letter needs to be on one side of a piece of paper, preferably 10 lines or less. It looks like 600 Euros per person, so 2400 in total which will at least go someway to making you feel better and remember next time, book direct flights whenever possible!
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    To be honest I didn't read all that. It's far too long for a complaint letter which probably explains why a reply took so long. It will have been put to the bottom of the pile and when it got to the top it would have been put to the bottom again, until someone felt they had the time to wade through it.

You need to keep things short and to the point to be effective. The minutiae is irrelevant as is the hyperbole eg This whole disgraceful episode surrounds our annual family holiday on a cruise around the Western Caribbean. Details and verification of this can be found in the attached document titled 'Document CR1'" and "
    So...to our nightmare!" etc etc.

After all the hyperbole I just stopped reading.

Just posting bullet points (no waffle, no he said she said, no shouty capitals, no red typing etc) is the most effective way of getting anyone in a complaints department to read and deal with something.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Options
    Who do i write to to get the last 10mins of my life back?

A couple of questions.

Was the cruise booked as part of the package with ba/iberia?
    Why didnt you talk to iberia cs rather than ba as they were the organ grinders in this incident.

You never actually say what you expect as a form of resolution to your complaint are you after an apology/cuddly toy/a billion pounds?
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    Why didnt you talk to iberia cs rather than ba as they were the organ grinders in this incident.

I am assuming that BA handle the Iberia flights that depart from T5 on behalf of Iberia.
    This likely does not mean they can book passengers on other flights without Iberia approval, Without endorsement approval the fare rules of the ticket would apply. It is unfortunate that the flight was not cancelled sooner or Iberia approved people "coming off the flight" before they did
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    Who do i write to to get the last 10mins of my life back?

A couple of questions.

Was the cruise booked as part of the package with ba/iberia?

You never actually say what you expect as a form of resolution to your complaint are you after an apology/cuddly toy/a billion pounds?

You must be a speed reader
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You must be a speed reader
    Rofl.:rotfl:
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Aubrey_Thicket
    Options
    Ok all. Thank you to everybody who commented. I accept the criticism and take it on board. The only reason I went to such length is because I heard a Travel Advisor on radio 5 a few months back saying that when you complain you must make sure you include every detail (so as not to leave any detail out but also to let them know you had recorded everything etc). I'm a little frustrated because that letter took me 3 hours and now it would appear that all that minute detail is not required. Aghhh well. I live and learn and once again thank you all for your comments.

Would somebody be kind enough to tell me where to start my claim for compensation from here on in please?

Thanks all.
  • Aubrey_Thicket
    Options
    As for the cruise it was booked by a travel agent as a package.

We weren't able to talk to Iberia CS. We kept getting fobbed off.

As for a resolution I actually don't have a clue what we are entitled to. I guess we'd be reasonably happy with the €600 per person as suggested by Alan Bowen.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked Bottonline or Euclaim to see of they think you are due compensation? If they think you are you could hand it to them at a cost of approx 30% of your compensation or download Vaubans guide and follow the advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback