ID card for 16 year old?

Hi my son was 16 in November and when he went into a shop recently to get a scratch card cashed in for his Dad they asked him for ID. Trouble is he doesn't have an ID card or passport. Does anybody know where I can get him one please? I got one for my eldest from citizencard when he was 16 and it was free but it now looks like they are now £9. Will pay this if have to but anybody know where I can get one free, must be a recognised one though as otherwise it is pointless.
If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect....................................
Why practice!:T

Comments

• Middlers
    Middlers Posts: 509
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just get a certified copy of his birth certificate from the registrar to keep in his wallet.
    Middlers
  • I did suggest that but that only proves when he was born not that he is the person named on certificate. A lot of places want photo ID these days.
    If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect....................................
  • Anic
    Anic Posts: 845 Forumite
    Hi

I don't know if this helps or not but in Scotland you can get a Young Scot Card which acts as a recognised proof of age card as well as offering various discounts in places. My sons applied for theirs through the local Council

I believe some Councils in England also run something similar but can't be sure where. Have a look at your local concil's website and see if there is something there.

Are these any good:

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/Adviceandbenefits/Tradingstandards/validate.aspx

http://www.validateuk.co.uk/
  • Thanks Anic. Warrington isn't that far from us, but it seems to be something organised by their council. Will check out my own council to see if they are doing something similar.
  • From working in various shops citizencard is the only thing most will take apart from passport, driving license etc. Everything is so easily forged even those aren't taken by some.
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The best id card for him is the citizencard:
    www.citizencard.com

They are £9 and you can apply online but you will need to send them photos and have them verifyed by someone (teachers etc can do it)

James
  • fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Is your son still at School if so he can get a card with photo ID for 16-18 year olds to prove propf of age, both my daughters have one
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • KizzyK_2
    KizzyK_2 Posts: 993 Forumite
    He could apply for his provisional moped license :) But it isn't cheap at £45. (:eek:)
    :j Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus :j

• Hi fabwitch. yes he is still at school so where do I get one of them from then? That is just what I want a photo ID to prove his age. Message to OP, the listing for our council says that ID accepted around our area are both citizencard and the ones from validateuk, so hopefully either should be ok. It is more for the proof of age rather than ID.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport